Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm getting scoffed at & I'm fixen to prove em wrong!

Default I'm getting scoffed at & I'm fixen to prove em wrong!

The local coyote hunting group had a little get together last night at which the topic of new guns for the upcoming coyote season came to the forefront. We have a couple of guys that shoot short 16" barrel ARs with 69 grain bullets, we have a couple of guys who use SKS's early in the season before the young yotes get educated. Yet when I stated that I was going to load up some of those 100 grain half jacketed bullets from Speer or Hornady and use a lever action 30-30 the peckerheads scorned me.

I'm thinking a 100 grain 30 cal bullet running 2800 fps ortsta knock the snot of any coyote out to a couple hundred yards. I'm going to go with iron sights to boot.

I've seen a hundred or more SKS kilt coyotes shot dead with those yank until they go bang triggers. Least wise I know when the hammer is gonna fall on my old thutty-thutty. I figure I'll just shoot out in front of them a bit and let them run into the bullet. I'll learn em to slight my cowboy gun

I am sure the 30-30 has killed many many coyotes over the years. Tons I am sure were shot from the seat of a horse and I have little doubt that it will continue to kill them to this day. You going to give some of the plastic tipped lever evolution bullets a try?

I've seen several coyotes killed with heavy loaded shotguns...I'm sure the 30-30 will do just fine.

Sounds like a lot of them are blinded by marketing and have a complete disregard for history. The 30-30 has been an "every critter" rifle that has probable killed everything in North America long before anyone had a "varmit rifle". Wear a cowboy hat, shoot straight and let the rifle do the talking.

Attachment 38457

While the thuty thuty has and will kill coyotes, it's caliber is in my next 100 list.

Quote Originally Posted by 4100fps View Post
    Attachment 38457

While the thuty thuty has and will kill coyotes, it's caliber is in my next 100 list.
    My first several hundred coyotes were killed with the speed demon varmint calibers. I'm bored with that and want a new wrinkle and happen to be on a lever gun kick right now. It's an old guy thing!

For more years than I can remember a 94 in either 30-30 or 32 Spec was my saddle gun. I also can't tell you how many coyotes it plowed under. About 15 years ago I switched to a Mini 14 for a saddle gun. It's accounted for exactly one coyote.

As for 110 grains at 2800? Hope you aren't planning to save the hides. I whapped one with a Speer 110 grain HP from a 308 one time, taking it right behind the left shoulder at about 100 yards on a dead run. Yeah, nice shot. Cept we never found the right foreleg! I kid you not. Just a great big crater and the whole leg including the shoulder was gone. Didn't look too hard, but gone it was.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    For more years than I can remember a 94 in either 30-30 or 32 Spec was my saddle gun. I also can't tell you how many coyotes it plowed under. About 15 years ago I switched to a Mini 14 for a saddle gun. It's accounted for exactly one coyote.

As for 110 grains at 2800? Hope you aren't planning to save the hides. I whapped one with a Speer 110 grain HP from a 308 one time, taking it right behind the left shoulder at about 100 yards on a dead run. Yeah, nice shot. Cept we never found the right foreleg! I kid you not. Just a great big crater and the whole leg including the shoulder was gone. Didn't look too hard, but gone it was.
    Not too worried about saving the pelts. We got $5.00 a piece for them last year skinned. For 5 bucks I'll leave em lay. They aren't even considered a fur barer here in Iowa and you don't need a fur harvester license to kill them. They are a menace to everything smaller than them that breaths and there is continuous open season on them. They are the top of the food chain in these parts septin for us boolit shooters. Big holes are ok!

One of the guys in our group shoots 110 grainers in an 06 sometimes.....it's his windy day gun....knocks the stuffings out of them too!

Well put, an appreciation for a more traditional form of shooting. Sort of like fly fishing or bowhunting with a long bow. Some will never understand and will be locked into whatever provides them the instant gratification technology provides.

You should see the looks I get when folks find out I hunt ducks with a bow! The 30-30 is probably my least favorite calibur but to each his own and there is no doubt it will kill a yote!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

The combination you propose will make very dead song dogs, only fly in the ointment that I can see with the formula MIGHT be getting the shorter than normal rounds to feed reliably from the magazine tube. Back when I was a younger fella, and hadn't been edumacated by the experts, when we'd get tired of shooting coyotes with the .308, '06, and .270, we'd sit down, and call 'em in and then blast 'em with a Browning Hi Power 9mm or a .38 revolver. I thought we were doing well till we were informed by 'those in the know' that we were vastly undergunned!
    By the way, I blasted one a couple weeks ago out by the Big Southern Butte near Arco, Idaho, with my 'long range' AR15, standing in the brush to the side of the road about 50 yards out. Could've hit him with a slingshot at that range!

It depends on your individual rifle, but you might look at the Speer 110 grain Varminter rather than the 100 grain plinker for your coyote load. I've found it to be waaaaay more accurate than plinkers in any gun I've tried. It feeds like a dream too, which I can't say for the plinkers, whether Speer or Hornady.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Yew kin do it, EKC:

You're livin the "Good Life".

Whadda bout them Sierra 125 grain FN\HPs made special for the thutty-thutty?

I've never gotten around to trying them, but I hear they're purty good.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I don't know about you EKC, just when I think you are learning you try something like this. Haven't you been reading the gun magazines and internet. You probably can't get closer than 4-500 yards to a coyote and you'll need at least a 20X scope to even see him. I doubt you'll get enough penetration with the poor little Speer half jackets (they may even bounce off a coyote's tough hide). You better try a TSX or at the very least some kind of a bonded bullet. You think the guys are scoffing at you now, wait until the coyotes start laughing when they see that old rifle you are trying to use on them. I know I wouldn't want to be around to see that.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I think I'll listen to the voice of experience and get some each of the 110 varminters and the Sierra 125s. Not shooting good and not feeding good ain't for shucks.

Thanks for speaking up DW,BB and Smitty.

Lujon, if they made one of them Flex tipped Hornadys in a lighter bullet I'd probably go that route.

1 Cor.... I had a coyote run by me...I should say trot by me at 50 yards last winter and I shot at him 5 times with a 243 and never touched a hair on him. He laughed at me all the way to his hole. The next weekend I killed him at 300 yards on a dead run with the same gun. He died 50 yards from his hole and he STILL had a smile on his face from the week before.

EKC,
    You start popping Coyotes at 300yds with open sights you are going to have to change your screen name to Quigly. LOL
    Years ago I picked up the Model 94 in my safe from a close friend for $100 along with a set of dies, some powder and about 60 rounds he loaded with,yup 110HP's. Talk about a hoot to shoot. Very little recoil but if I remember they shot about 4" higher then 170gr factory rounds.

BTW, I can relate to the desire to use something other then the likes of a 22-250 for varmints and the need to try something else. Same reason I am using the 30-30 this year instead of my old 7mag for my rifle Bull Elk hunt in mid October.

Enjoy the yote hunting this year, EKC. I've been on something of a lever gun kick myself. I've got three of them so far, and there are more on the horizon...

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Get close and knock them down. Its that simple. Long range +200yrs save your 30-30 ammo. I love my 30-30 and .35Rem but they do have limitations

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Long range +200yrs save your 30-30 ammo.
    Better make sure your Flux Capacitor is fully charged before you take that shot!

EKC, I reckon Iowa coyote hunting is very similar to IL style - I have dropped many at less than 150 yards so your 30-30 set up should be more than suitable! My favorite go to gun was a Ithica Mag10 with # 4 buck - out to 100 yards it was a cruncher! 7 Coyotes 1day.jpg Here is 7 I clobbered one trip out with the Mag 10! 3 of us took 13 that day. Best day ever was 19 for 4 of us...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast