Thread: Illegal Bull taken?

Default Illegal Bull taken?

My buddy called me last night saying he was watching some guy get arrested off of Hyer road for shooting a bull. Wondered if the bull was illegal or if it was taken in city limits (?), wondered if anybody else heard about it. I guess it was a decent sized bull, had nice paddles.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

my guess (with no info other than what you said) would be that he used a rifle. that is smack in the middle of the palmer-wasilla mgmt. area (though not in city limits). probably charged with weapons misconduct in addition to illegal take, wanton waste, etc.

I wouldnt think you'd get arrested for shooting a sublegal bull, but for shooting in city limits maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    my guess (with no info other than what you said) would be that he used a rifle. that is smack in the middle of the palmer-wasilla mgmt. area (though not in city limits). probably charged with weapons misconduct in addition to illegal take, wanton waste, etc.
    I think you are right about the rifle part. My buddy did say he had all the meat in gamebags in the back of his truck along with the rack, so I bet he got busted for using a rifle.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I'll keep an eye on the trooper dispatch page but nothing about illegal bull taken in the valley as of yet(now up in D. Junction there were a few citations given out). They'll probably post it up later I imagine.

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/pio/dispatch/index.asp

Did not see it there yet...Cant believe some guy would actually shoot it..quarter it up, bag it and try to spend this much time in the same area after the fact...must of thought he was legal..interesting..

Was he getting cuffed and thrown in the back of a Trooper car? In most cases wildlife troopers don't cuff perps and put them in their trucks. I'm not even sure if shooting a moose in a closed area will get you cuffed and hauled to pretrial, you'd have to escalate the situation to get that. Your buddy might just have seen a F&G Trooper checking the guy out and it was a legal shotgun or archery kill.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Another scenario is that the guy may have had some outstanding warrants or something of the sort....You just never know. It'll be cool if it shows up on the trooper blotters, but just remember that not everything makes it there.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Was he getting cuffed and thrown in the back of a Trooper car? In most cases wildlife troopers don't cuff perps and put them in their trucks. I'm not even sure if shooting a moose in a closed area will get you cuffed and hauled to pretrial, you'd have to escalate the situation to get that. Your buddy might just have seen a F&G Trooper checking the guy out and it was a legal shotgun or archery kill.
    You missed the part about getting arrested. He got cuffed and put in the cop car.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    my guess (with no info other than what you said) would be that he used a rifle. that is smack in the middle of the palmer-wasilla mgmt. area (though not in city limits).
    I've been wondering about outside that management area. At the risk of sounding like an idiot, can you shoot a moose with a high powered rifle across the street from the managment area?

I've tried reading up on laws to see what the rule is on proximity to domicile, etc. and haven't been able to find anything concrete. I tried reading through quite a bit of info on the borough website, google searches, forums searches, etc.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    I've been wondering about outside that management area. At the risk of sounding like an idiot, can you shoot a moose with a high powered rifle across the street from the managment area?

I've tried reading up on laws to see what the rule is on proximity to domicile, etc. and haven't been able to find anything concrete. I tried reading through quite a bit of info on the borough website, google searches, forums searches, etc.
    Thanks.
    Yes, as long as you are not on Posted Land and the moose is legal for your harvest or permit tags.
    Some folks shoot them right out the window or off the back deck, so..... closer the better.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Yes, as long as you are not on Posted Land and the moose is legal for your harvest or permit tags.
    Some folks shoot them right out the window or off the back deck, so..... closer the better.
    The only thing you probably would want to make sure of is that you anchored it to the spot! Moose, especially, are capable of making a bee-line to the worst possible spot to die (like the biggest mudhole at the bottom of a ravine). It would be an interesting discussion with the Trooper if you did a legal shot on the right side of the road and it ran across and died! I guess maybe they could bring the "CSI" team out and determine where the moose was standing when you shot...

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Thanks guys.

I think it was all just a big enactment. It was meant to give something for folks to write about on AOD.