Thread: Accubonds not so accurate

Default Accubonds not so accurate

Went shooting today, wanted to make sure my gun is sighted in for an upcoming moose hunt. The gun is an a-bolt .338, I had previously had it sighted in shooting 210 grain nosler partitions and it grouped pretty good. I bought a box of 225 grain winchester accubonds, which I have never shot in any of my guns. Well my shooting was all over the place and after 10 shots I was getting worried I was having some equipment issues with the scope or scope mounts. I had brought along a box of 210 grain partitions, so I shot a few of them and shot a nice group, problem solved. So, needless to say, I wont be hunting with those accubonds, I should have known better and just stuck to the good ol partitions. Has anyone else had any problems with the accubonds?

The 180 grain Accubonds shoot great in my Remington 700 in 300 Win Mag. They shoot well in my 30-06 too but not as good as the Patitions do. My guess is that your rifle just does not like them for some strange reason. Who really knows why or understands those type of happenings. Good thing you were smart enough to try them on paper before taking them with you to the field.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

In my .375 Wby the 260gr ABs are more accurate than the 300gr NPs, but I'm taking the NPs on my hunt because they're accurate enough. But I can get groups out of those 260gr ABs that I barely believe.

My .300 loves regular ABs but the couple of boxes of the Winchester factory loaded AB 'CT's that have the black coating don't shoot worth a darn. Not sure what the coating has to do with anything or if its another factor entirely but Winchester factory ABs group 3" and regular Federal or Nosler loaded ammo groups under an inch- sometimes way under an inch.

Shot some nice groups with the 200g 30-06 Double Tap loaded Accu-bonds...sometimes a gun just doesn`t like a particular length round. Have you measured the two varieties?

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

There are lots of reasons a particular factory load may not prove to be accurate in a given rifle. However, in your case the Accubond is a known entity (with regards to its accuracy). Whatever is causing your issues, rest assured it is not the bullet's fault. I'm not questioning that the Partitions are not better performers in your rifle, but that is almost certainly a product of the particular load you selected and not due to some inherent flaw in the design of the Accubond.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    My .300 loves regular ABs but the couple of boxes of the Winchester factory loaded AB 'CT's that have the black coating don't shoot worth a darn. Not sure what the coating has to do with anything or if its another factor entirely but Winchester factory ABs group 3" and regular Federal or Nosler loaded ammo groups under an inch- sometimes way under an inch.
    I believe the coating is Moly coating. Try rubbing your finger against the black stuff and see if it leaves a line on your finger. If so, it is more than likely moly.

A lot of people recommend you do not fire moly coated bullets in your rifle because their residue is so hard to clean out. I have two boxes of Winchester 300 Win Mag 180 grain that I will not use because of the moly coating.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    I believe the coating is Moly coating. Try rubbing your finger against the black stuff and see if it leaves a line on your finger. If so, it is more than likely moly.....
    Winchester's CT line of ammo uses a proprietary coating called Lubalox. It is not moly and its benefits are arguable. I've long suspected that the greatest difference is cosmetic as I have shot many hundreds of the .257 115 grain CT alongside the 115 NBT with zero measurable performance (I've also used a lot of the .338 200 grain CT as the 200 grain NBTs have been discontinued for several years). I've not been able to ascertain that bores are either easier or more difficult to clean and accuracy/velocity have been indistinguishable between the two IME. I have noticed that the black bullet in a nickel case appeals to some shooters, my wife being numbered among them.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I've had exactly the opposite experience with Accubonds. My 270 loves them. Also shoot them in my '06. If they made a 250 gr. in 35, I'd give them a try in my Whelen as well.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    same for me... i also use them in the .27. .06 and .308 don't care for the winchester either...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    I've had exactly the opposite experience with Accubonds. My 270 loves them. Also shoot them in my '06. If they made a 250 gr. in 35, I'd give them a try in my Whelen as well.
    The 225gr. .35 cals do great in my .358 Norma.

Factory loaded 200gr AB's shoot sub moa in my 325wsm and so do my own handloads without the lubalox. Same velocity with each load.

300 grain AB Winchester loads in .375H&H work very well in my rifle. NP 160 grain in my 7mm not as well as Hornaday 154 grain spire point. Who kows why some rifles like one over another.

Shooting factory ammo limits you to knowing only how that particular loaded cartridge performs. You cannot assume it is the Accubond Bullet itself when there are too many other variables to consider.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Talking Molycoat

This is for what it's worth:but I once tried molycoat bullets in my Rem 700 270.

This particular rifle was known to be very accurate with 130 grain Ballistic Tips.Would consistently shoot 5 shot groups under .6MOA with those bullets and either max charges of H4831SC or Norma MRP.

So I went to the range one day with my 130 Molycoats.Pretty sure they were Barnes, but it's been a while.We were hunting a lot of hogs in Texas then and I wanted a tougher bullet for them while still being fine with deer etc.

From a clean barrel, first 2 shots were about 1" apart.Ok...shot # 3 was 5" from the first two! Shot 4 barely caught the target at 100 yards and (just for laughs) I fired shot#5 which, as far as i could see through the spotting scope, never even touched the target.True story.

So I cleaned the barrel with Hoppes BR and CR 10 and fortunately, had brought along a number of the Ballistic Tip loads: 60.5 H4831SC, CCI 250 and overall length of 3.36" which functioned perfectly in the 700 magazine.

Fired a five shot group...ran around .5" and its POI was right where it was supposed to be.

End of experiment for that rifle!

I think your rifle would need a little faster twist to stabilize the much longer Accubond.

I had issues with the Winchester accubonds's in my .338 as well, 225 and 250's. I tried the Rem corlokt's, 225/250, and the rifle is happy, and so am I.