Thread: Seward Halibut?

Default Seward Halibut?

HELP!

Heading to Seward for the holiday weekend. First trip in the new boat. G3 V18 Guide with a new Honda 40 4 stroke. Got the downriggers set up and mounted on the boat for the silvers. (latest reports say they have not hit the beaches yet) Maybe some pinks for sport.

I was curious of anyone can share any halibut spots in the bay that may be productive in early Sept. I am assuming that the areas around where the streams dump into the bay may be allow a better chance for a rookie and his wife.

Appreciate in advance any advice or PM's that you care to share...

Thanks!
    MD

Try the area between Caines and Callisto Head, 200-300', off the point at Callisto Head, West side of Hive Island. If the weather holds I'll be around prospecting somewhere.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I'll be doing the same thing as you Fisher. I think Ill be spending most of my time trying to figure out my Garmin 500 series. (HA) Will be looking, watching and trying to learn. Used to live in Seward; however all my trips were charter. I never paid any real attention to anything other than keeping my hook baited. (DUH) Oh well the learning curve begins Thursday. Good luck and be safe. I'll post how I did on Monday... Jeff

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

We were out last Sunday. We fished around Hive and caught nothing but cod...lots and lots of cod. We trolled the North end of Fox and from Caines Head through Derby Cove without a single release. We also trolled from the Sealife Center to the harbor entrance, which is the only place we found silvers. There was a small armada trolling/mooching just east of the cruise ship docks, but the radio traffic indicated it was slow for them as well.

Years ago drifted between the islands, starting from about the middle of Eldorado Narrows towards the bay. Caught five nice halibut that day, each year since I would try that again, haven't hooked up there since. Caught one in front of Bear Glacier once. Paper said, Eldorado Narrows is producing halibut. Good luck.

Default thanks

Guys,
    Thanks for the tips... I will give it a safe whirl! So far the marine forecast is not bad so with not to much fog/wind - we will be out there somewhere. Good luck to you all and maybe see you out there - somewhere!
    MD

Something else to try. If the fog is to the point where you don't want to make a long run, go out of the harbor and immediately head east. On the east shorline you'll see some large sawdust piles. Set up in about 150 ft of water and drop your gear to the bottom. I've caught halibut and cod there. Also try directly off 4th of July Creek. The spawned out salmon carcasses will have the halibut feeding in there.
    Last edited by Frostbitten; 09-03-2010 at 09:10. Reason: typo

Depends on weather but, draw a line between Hive and Chiswell to the left, watch for drop off, bingo. That ones open ocean stuff. In front of Bear Glacier on the right. Thumbs Cove Middle. Or travel direct Between Fox & Cains Head watch for a 300 foot pile,(maybe 100 acres), most is a lot deeper. That one works good!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    Depends on weather but, draw a line between Hive and Chiswell to the left, watch for drop off, bingo. That ones open ocean stuff. In front of Bear Glacier on the right. Thumbs Cove Middle. Or travel direct Between Fox & Cains Head watch for a 300 foot pile,(maybe 100 acres), most is a lot deeper. That one works good!
    Don't you mean between Hive and Barwell (just off Cape Res)?

Well We got back in one piece. Friday was great and the weather went down from there. It was fun and the boat ran great. Lots to learn on the fishing holes, but that is what time and money is for..(HA)

I plan on going halibut fishing this Friday (September 10th) and would also appreciate advice on Seward charters.
    Who would you recommend?

Come on guys. Need some help here. I did a search and two Seward Charters keep popping up: Crackerjack and ProFish-n-Sea.
    Are they any good, or should I steer clear of them?

Quote Originally Posted by ftaba1 View Post
    I plan on going halibut fishing this Friday (September 10th) and would also appreciate advice on Seward charters.
    Who would you recommend?

I did a combo trip with Crackerjack (Capt Jeff) last week and can highly recommend them, it was an awesome trip.

I will second Crackerjack and ProFish has a great rep. as well.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I've heard lots of +++++ about Profish

Thanks everyone! I'll try Crackerjack and/or Profish.