Thread: Climbing stands for moose?

Default Climbing stands for moose?

Just curious if anyone on here has used a climbing stand for moose and been successful or know of anyone that has? While scouting the past couple of weeks I have found some well used trails with good trees to support a stand and it put a wild hair in me to contemplate using one. I know the norm is spot and stalk and Ive heard people using ground blinds but never heard stories of ppl using stands.

I thought about that earlier.

I've had it work for me. It was not a climber but did hang a stand in an area with a lot of moose sign. I took a moose on the first day, probably not just because I was in the tree but it gave a good field of view and a decent spot to sit and wait comfortably.

just hauled mine out to camp let you know how it works in a couple weeks

I think its a great idea to get up high and call they might not come right to you but you could see them and try for a stalk.

That is how I do 75% of my moose hunting in my area. Getting up above the brush makes calling and spotting alot easier. I wouldnt use a climber though. You want to be able to quickly and quietly climb down to make a stalk since moose seem to like to stall out just beyond your field of view...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    That is how I do 75% of my moose hunting in my area. Getting up above the brush makes calling and spotting alot easier. I wouldnt use a climber though. You want to be able to quickly and quietly climb down to make a stalk since moose seem to like to stall out just beyond your field of view...
    I agree something that is easier to get out of is a must. Climber might get tricky in a pinch

After reading your post again, it sounds like you found a good spot with sign. Maybe the only trees available are good only with a climber.

In that case I would use the climber and plan to stay put and spot or try to call on into your field of view..its worth a shot, IMO.

I have a great place that's getting a stand next year. There is no reason it won't work if you find a place that most travel through on a regular basis.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem