Thread: Bad fall,then again whats a good fall?

Default Bad fall,then again whats a good fall?

Took a good one today.Walking on a 9" tree 3 feet off the ground with a 50lb. pack on and landed on my pack.Had to pull a few thorns out of my arms,I'll find more in a day or so when they get sore . Nothing broke or stabbed ,I got lucky.I think fall are the most likely way of getting hurt in the out doors.I have taken some good ones in my time. .Anyone want to share their stories about falls let hear them.

I have to ask, were you above water?

I've taken some falls.

Rainforest, 2,200' to sealevel decent, I picked a fast route that looked promising. I funneled into a water chute. While navigating a small cliff I committed to a 3' drop without a hand or foot hold to a steep grade with a deer boned out in the pack. I landed and immediately started the downward slide. The first to go was my rifle as I gained enough speed to quickly tear everything from my hands. I tried rolling onto my belly grasping for whatever object I could. So I realized this was futile as the rocks were quick to gouge my thighs and my finger nails were quickly folded back from their beds. I had just enough time to roll over onto my back before I jettisoned over the confluence of the water chute and over a sheer 15' cliff. I whacked my head as I flew over the ledge and landed like a bag of meat. In fact it's the boned out meat bag that saved me from serious injury I'm sure. When I came to I had to do a serious evaluation of each limb and found to my surprise I was still mobile. I struggled the rest of the way down the hill and eventually reached the bottom in the dark wearing my headlamp. I had huge laceration on my thigh, badly torn nails, and a hematoma on my pelvis that seriously impeded my ability to walk for a long time. I could have broken my pelvis very easily with just a little more force. The meat bag spared my vertebrae I'm sure.

That rifle still bears the scars of that as a reminder. I was a rookie AK hunter and this was a bad mistake on my part. I've since learned to read terrain and situations much better. I still hunt solo though.

Hiking in to Callisto cabin @ Seward 2 miles in fell and broke leg, hiked on it to the cabin and stayed 3 days should have bagged it and gone out. Now have pins & a plate. Simple slimy beach rock crossing a point with a heavy pack.

Last year I was coming out of a bad old Andy Embick Rock Climbing trail on my DG719 Goat hunt. I should of just stayed up high but I decided to go back down and get some bearings. It was about 9pm when I was crossing slide area that had been cleared by an avalanche that was below treeline. I slipped and lost my footing. I fell 15 ft straight down with pack and rifle and hit a deadfall spruce tree headfirst. I was bleeding from my ear when I woke up. I made it the rest of the way down to the trail head and set up my tent right there. The next morning I couldn't get up and had excruciating backpain. It took me about a month before I could run again and it hurt like the devil for a long time. I am much more careful but the lesson is. You get stuck on the mountain and it gets dark. Just keep your butt right there. Don't go climbing around the rocks in the dark.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Default 2 years, 2 surgeries and countless hrs of physical therapy later

Short of the story in Oct 14, 08 on a Afognak Elk hunt with the bro in-law and husband I fell off a 12+ foot cliff with a rock catching my heel and hurling me into my rifle as it stopped on a downed tree . Only to then slide under into the water the rifle stopping me from sinking in the lake. Bro in-law made it to my side in a nano second along with the hubby (both medics) as I’m yelling at them to get the rifle off of me, as my right arm was bent farther backwards than even my double jointed self could handle. Still in awe of how fast they shed the heavy packs of fresh Elk meat.

Short injury list, broken nose, cheek plates on both sides, two herniated discs, one bulged disk, torn rotator cuff, torn ACL, a ripped ligament in my ankle. And I am proud to say I still walked the 2 miles in chest deep water along the lake edge back to camp nose pouring the entire way and even apologized to the guys for acting like a girl and whining as it was dark and we rounded the corner I had smelled a bear that morning on the way to the guys.

Repairs since the fall…Nose surgery, back surgery with rehab both before and after surgery, rehab for ACL, rotator cuff and ankle ligament. Almost two years from the day and I am still very proud of the hubby for his Elk he sure did earn it....even if he didn’t listen to his bro and I both saying “we shouldn’t go down the Mtn here”

All said and done I would go back in less than a nano second....besides I didnt get an elk ;D

holy cr#p, they should just mail you your Ranger Tab, you already passed the test.

Bow hunting in washington state about 20 years ago, spotted some elk and the steepnes of the bank was hide very well by brush and I took a step and next thing I knew i fell and stumbled like 20 feet. No bruises, bumps nothing. The scary part is I was bowhunting and arrows fell out of quiver during the fall and were actually poking through my shirt and jacket. but none touched my body. I was very carefull trying to stand with a broadhead inches from my face.

Back in my external pack days I was clamoring over a boulder lost my footing. As I tried to catch myself the pack shifted and took me with it off the side. I landed flat on the pack (1/2 on purpose) about 5' below thankfully in soft mucky alpine tundra. My 7mm ended up w/ a big plug of tundra in the barrel which is where I learned how to clean a rifle with gutted 550 cord and a long piece of tundra grass. I use trekking poles now obsessively!! I wonder how many of the falls mentioned in this thread could have been eliminated by the use of good strong poles? Now when I get to a 3' drop down to a grass chute I kneel down and plant the poles firmly below the drop and use them to ease myself down. Works great!! An ice axe is another great option for those who don't like poles, learning how to self arrest can save your life for sure!

First incident; was on Kodiak; dragging a deer down to the beach and come upon a cliff/steep hill. Decide to throw deer off and it gets hung up on the only tree on the steep hill. There's a couple inches of snow and I am wearing cleats. I work by way down and get under the tree about 10 feet below it. Because of the snow, steep grade, and snow-filled cleats; my footing was very slippery. I slipped and begin an uncontrollable slide down the steep hill on my rump being led by pack with my feet uphill. I am grasping with my hands to slow me down. Suddenly, I squarely hit a tree with my pack cushioning the blow. I made several attempts but regrettably was not able to salvage the deer. Learned a lot that day; be sure of your shortcuts, don't compromise your meat, don't wear cleats in certain snow conditions.... Luckily no injuries; but could have been bad.

Second major fall; Was packing out a sheep. Almost completely off the mountain after descending some very steep and rear-sliding slopes. I was walking down a chute when some rocks gave way under my feet and I fell head first; pack going over my head and shoulder becoming dislocated. Gashed my chin and chipped my tooth. Immediate pain from my shoulder. With out thinking I pushed on the ball joint of my arm and pushed it back into place; I think I passed out for a couple seconds. Recovered and continued the hike down. About a 50 yards later I grabbed a branch with my bad shoulder side and pulled my shoulder out again. This time major pain and it was not going back in. Luckily I was pretty much at camp. Spent all night in pain. Next morning I was doing some stretches trying to get the arm-shoulder relocated. Bent over to touch by toes and the arm slid back into place. Felt very good after that, but sore. Lesson; Was tired after the long descend and got in a hurry near the bottom; take breaks and be slow and have sure footing. After the initial injury should have rested and had partner carry pack out remaining hike. Take wilderness first aid training. I know now one good way to pop back in a dislocated shoulder was to relax the arms and bend over and dangle the arms out over your feet. Just this year I was on a goat hunt and took a very simple slip and landed on my elbow; and my shoulder popped out again, but I was able to put it back into place. Something I live with now.

I was chasing a nice Mule Deer in AZ when I was stationed there. My wife and I glassed him on the side of the mountain. I told her how I was going to try and approach him and that it would take a while for me to get up there to him. I basically circled way around and was going to try to get above him. I got up there and there were a lot of cuts and little draws. He ended up busting me so I was on the side of the mountain standing on this large boulder. It was probably about 5 feet across and 3 to 4 feed in circumference. There were several other the same size. I was just standing there waving at my wife who was at the truck and in the blink of an eye the rock gives way under my feet. My arms both flew up and back as I was going down. I smacked my bow pretty hard and had a sore butt. Fortunately none of the other boulders moved. If they had I could have been crushed. It scared the crap out of me. I realized how lucky I was on that one.
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Wow, some of you guys have taken some doozies and lived to tell about it.

First sheep hunt with a friend who drew DCUA. He got his ram, we we're a couple drainages away from the tent. At about midnight we were headed up out of the last one to the ridge our tent was on. Steep, rocks, shale, etc. No green stuff. I was headed straight up using my hands and feet with a barneys pack with half a ram in it when I went over backwards, feet over my head, I landed on my feet facing uphill. It happened so fast I couldn't believe it. No injuries, I got lucky. I think the packframe bar that extended up acted like a roll bar protecting my head.

Took a bad spill last year. Crossed a small stream with a steep bank, rock I stepped on rolled right out from under me and I went butt over teakettle through a rock garden.

Torn ligament and muscles in my left shoulder and misc. scrapes and one nice gouge on the upper arm.

Hey rockskipper I was in a grown up cut off ,trying to get though the jaggers and tree tops. I would think falls are our number one for getting hurt in outdoors. Anyone ever see the stats anywhere?

Hey Snyd,
    Don't you wish you could see that on video? I'll bet you'd say NO F'n WAY! How the heck did that just happen. You got skills Bro! Lol...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Darn those rocks! That is what caused my fall, or well the fact that two people ahead of me had taken the moss that held the shale off. I had a minor slide/fall just a tad earlier from the same deal, but the bro in-law caught me...not so lucky the second time. All in all I did make it out and am recovering from all of it, back surgery this past May should be the last big thing. It could have been way worse for sure I’m glad to see we all lived to tell about it

I had just downed my first ram and the excitement was too much to handle. Being at least 70 degrees F and not coming prepared for this, I was hunting in my underwear...boxer briefs. As I was literally running while traversing the mountain to get to him, I came to a snowpatch that was about 15 feet for me to cross, and extended down the mountain about 50 feet. One step was all it took and I was hauling ass down the snowpile on my butt, feet first. I turned and tried to jam my gun in the snow to slow/stop myself...and that didn't even come close to working. I braced for the impact on the sharp rocks at the bottom and skidded to a stop, cutting the heck out of my upper legs/butt and ripping my underwear. Luckily the adrenaline rush from getting my ram was enough to hide then pain, and also that it wasn't as serious as some of the scary posts on here. I'm very, very hesitant to walk on snow in the mountains now without crampons.