Thread: Deer Hunt

Default Deer Hunt

We are doing a deer hunt (4 days) in Mid Sept on Admiralty. What would be the best way to deal with the meat while there? Hang Quarters with hide on/off? bone out the meat? I don't think we will be able to hang whole deer due to difficulty getting back to camp. Any suggestions welcome Thanks

First gut the deer asap. I would skin, quarter, leave on the bone, and game bag it. Keeping it on the bone will spread the meat out so it is not all "balled" up in the game bag. Therefore the increased surface area will allow for better cooling. Always try to hang the meat in game bags and throw a tarp over your meat pole to keep sun and rain off your meat. But when using the tarp don't restrict the air flow; just use as shade or place your meat pole in a shaded area. Not sure what temps will be; but if it is getting in the low 40's at night and 50's during the day; the meat should be pretty safe as long as it is in the shade with good air flow. May want to try spraying a game saver on the meat or other citrus equivalent to form a crust and keep bugs off it; I have not really used that stuff before but many would recommend it. And then get it back to a butcher or your freezer asap. You should be ok with only 4 days in the field with proper care. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, that is what I had in mind. I have looked for citric acid in Juneau last year with no luck.

Try a brew-making supply store; they may carry citric acid powder...not sure if there's one in Juneau.

I'm a believer in acidifying the surface of your meat. RayCo has carried citric acid powder in the past. You can also find it as "sour salt" in the ethnic foods section of some grocery stores. If you're coming through Juneau in the next day or three and don't find any elsewhere, PM me and I'll spot you a couple of packets.

Good advice from Ksaye on the meat hang. A photo of the one we did just that way on Baranof a couple of years back, see this old post.

thanks for the reply and offer. One of our hunters went up to Whitehorse today. I sent him to the home brew supply shop. I might have to take you up on your offer if we kind find any. thanks again

Have not used citric acid for meat preservation, but have used it in a HomeMade Gatoraide recipe. Did not find it listed / labeled as 'citric acid'. Found it labeled 'Sour Salt".