Thread: picking out a utility ATV...

Default picking out a utility ATV...

I'm having the hardest time trying to find the right ATV for me.

what i'm looking for is something that has a winch, 4x4 and is under 5,000

It must be able to make it through deep mud and water. All I have really ridin are the 750 brute forces. I can handle them well but I dont think I need THAT much power.. just enough to keep up with the boys.

any suggestions?

Default New or Used?

If you are thinking of a new one, it will be hard to get what you're looking for under $5K. You can get a lot for your money used however, especially in the 400 - 500 class. This is also the best time to buy a used 4 wheeler. Prices will go up as Spring approaches. If you plan on riding a lot, I would want Independent Rear Suspension almost as much as a winch. Polaris Sportsman, newer Yamaha Grizzlys, and Arctic Cat's meet this criteria and would be pretty affordable used.

Hope this helps a little.

Shannon

Default thanks

Thanks a lot for the advice! 5,000 is my ballpark range.. If I have to I wouldn't mind spending more. I'm kind of skeptical of buying a used just because I donít know whets wrong with it or the reason why itís being sold. If you know what I mean... but if it runs well I donít mind.

Someone else suggested the arctic cats and grizzlys so Iíll probably check those out first.

Thanks again!

Default message

Akfishinbabe, shot you a private message...EricL

Default ATV

Last summer I bought a Yamaha Kodiak 450. You can switch between 4x4 and 2x4 with the push of a button! I got a winch in the deal (a special) which they have often! I love it...it turns on a dime, is easy and to ride and I have no problem keeping up! I also made it through a lot more mud then I ever thought I would! Mine was brand new and just a few hundred over $5,000. Something to consider. I find it has enough power but is so easy to handle! I went from riding my husband's 700 which was too much for me so maybe that's why I like my Yamaha so much! Oh it also has a fuel reserve which has come in handy many times!

Polaris 6x6 Sportsman. You won't need the winch much except to pull 4x4s out of the mud.

Default after looking around..

I visited the guys at arctic cat and yamaha... right now i'm actually looking at the arctic cat 500. I heard good things about them and they sound like they have just enough power for me..

i'm still looking around though before i make anything final. I'm going to hit up another yamaha, arctic cat and polaris when i head out to Anchorage tomorrow.

thanks again

Default Argo

Dont Waste Your Money, Get An Argo!!!

Default Honda Rancher

Don't let anyone tell you that you need some high powered ride! In my opinion the Honda Rancher ES is about the best thing going right now. But, I must admit I am biased but I got that way because the hondas have always treated me right. The rancher is an amazing ride...the '06's had a 330cc enigne and the new '07's are a 420cc. What you are concerned with is torque not horsepower and the ranchers are great. Add to that the fact that you can get them with electronic shift which is nice, at least i like it. MSRP is $5200 to $5500. I am looking for one myself! If I can't find a decent used one I'll get a new one. Good luck!

Default Honda

I have to agree on Honda. I have a Rancher and it is one awesome machine. Great on fuel, super low first gear for hauling firewood and stone. It is plenty fast off-road and ya just don't have to fix them. Just maintain a bit.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I would vote for Honda too. Rancher ES, put on a set of 25" Mud lites add a winch and you are good for years. I ride a Prairie right now but I am rebuilding the poor abused Rancher now.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.