Thread: Black bear head and hide salvage

Default Black bear head and hide salvage

So we have an argument going at work. Regs state you have to salvage the skull and hide of a black bear in unit 13 in the fall; and have it sealed. After that and you get it home are you required to do something with it; or can you throw it away?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by RC23 View Post
    So we have an argument going at work. Regs state you have to salvage the skull and hide of a black bear in unit 13 in the fall; and have it sealed. After that and you get it home are you required to do something with it; or can you throw it away?
    legally you can throw it out... that was the contention of the troopers during th BOG meeting last spring when i got the interior regs changed say in in the fall we could take hide OR meat and the skull... the skull is required for Biological data at time of sealing.. also hide sealing requirements have gone away in most units that require harvest tags now.

any rate... the troopers were against my prop ( that passed) as they could not check the hide to see if it was a lactating sow. and contended that if i did not want i hide i could just throw it out after sealing it. and was only trying to save my self some work...

i countered with the fact that it must remain in a usable state requiring care until sealed and transported home... and that evidence of sex and teats could be left attached to the meat... and that the care of the hide on a week long hunt when you only wanted the meat was additional work load when your trying to salvage the meat.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Here is the definition of Salvage:
    (49) "salvage" means to transport the edible meat, heart, liver, kidneys, head, skull, or hide, as required by statute or regulation, of a game animal or wild fowl to the location where the edible meat, heart, liver, or kidneys will be consumed by humans or processed for human consumption in order to save or prevent the edible meat, heart, liver, or kidneys from waste, and the head, skull, or hide will be put to human use;

Once you transport the hide and skull to a place for human use, you legal obligation is over. You may now throw it away.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Here is the definition of Salvage:
    (49) "salvage" means to transport the edible meat, heart, liver, kidneys, head, skull, or hide, as required by statute or regulation, of a game animal or wild fowl to the location where the edible meat, heart, liver, or kidneys will be consumed by humans or processed for human consumption in order to save or prevent the edible meat, heart, liver, or kidneys from waste, and the head, skull, or hide will be put to human use;

Once you transport the hide and skull to a place for human use, you legal obligation is over. You may now throw it away.
    Regs state "preserves the head, skull or hide for human use."
    The rub I have is the word "preserves", and what all would be considered "human use"?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by RC23 View Post
    Regs state "preserves the head, skull or hide for human use."
    The rub I have is the word "preserves", and what all would be considered "human use"?
    that was my rub with the troopers at the BOG meeting, you have to take care of it until it gets home, once sealed it can sit behind the shed and rot or go into the trash... so you have to care for it like your meat to make sure it is in slavagable condition when transporting... of course now... if you do get a black bear and salvage the hide. you can sell it for a few bucks to regain some of the effort and cost.. not much but some...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here