Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knik Bears

Default Knik Bears

REDICULOUS amounts of blackies all over Knik valley now. The north side used to hold some good spots for choosing your moose and now there is hardly any in those spots. I won't reveal my exact locales but everything above Wolf Point to metal creek is riddled with blackies. I saw a group of five several days in a row in the same area without a care in the world. In one sitting, glassing up and down the valley; I saw 8 different bears peppered throughout the meadows, half of them were HUGE.

When is F&G going to listen to us hunters and do something before we have another 16B on our hands?
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Did you manage to take one? Sounds like a great opportunity to put a bit more meat in the freezer.

Spent too much time working on my buggy and glassing. I already have a moose in the freezer and prefer spring bear over fall. I'm not a skins hunter, otherwise I would have had my pick of at least two that were close. Most of them are mid-mountain for those maniacs that like to bust brush.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Good to know, Robb. I've got a bear hunt planned with my nephew, but if it doesn't pan out, maybe we'll poke around up there.

I'm not sure why ADF&G should be expected to do anything special with regards to the burgeoning population. If we're concerned about the moose population, the regulations are already in place for us to go up there and each shoot a bear.

LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of bears back in that area. Unfortunately it isn't just Knik valley either. I have little doubt that all of the Chugach from the Mat to Knik and Knik to Turnigan is flat packed with bears!!

IMO part of being a moose hunter is taking predators in your hunting spot.

Smile

Well, its not for lack of effort. That area is packed in the Spring for bear baiting. But apparently the hunting is better in the Fall!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I had a similar issue in Unit 16A this weekend. We put in a hard weekend in the rain crawling through swamps and muskeg as well as working trails with a 4 wheeler. Only saw one cow. LOTS of bear sign though. Some local guys from the Oilwell road area came and chatted as we broke camp Sunday afternoon. Said they baited in the spring and the area just got overloaded with bears, both black and brown. Heard some wolves calling in the mornings and nights as well. Sounds like there were too many predators, the moose went away. I was more than willing to do my part, but the only ones we saw were moving out at a high rate of speed.

14A Only allows ONE bear; there should be a limit bump to 3.

If I wasn't sick this last weekend I would have GLADLY chased after the bears that I saw and forced the others in my camp to do the same. As it stands, they (group of 5) harvested ONE forked horn for a 9 day trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    14A Only allows ONE bear; there should be a limit bump to 3.
    So does 14C "all others" which should also be increased.

How many bears did the group harvest in addition to the one moose, Robb?

I have no problem with folks just focusing on moose, but I have a hard time hearing people clamor for more F&G involvement when very few people are making the effort to harvest the one bear they're already alloted. You were sick, but was everyone in your group? Not trying to cast stones here, but what is easier? Having more state-sponsored predator control, or having more people climb the mountain to kill the bears that they already see?

I would have no issue with an increased bag limit, but what would it accomplish if folks aren't chasing the bears anyway? And if it's a good idea (and it very well may be), then put in a proposal to the Board of Game. Anyone can submit a proposal and it is easy to do. F&G doesn't set the regulations - the Board does.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    How many bears did the group harvest in addition to the one moose, Robb?

I have no problem with folks just focusing on moose, but I have a hard time hearing people clamor for more F&G involvement when very few people are making the effort to harvest the one bear they're already alloted. You were sick, but was everyone in your group? Not trying to cast stones here, but what is easier? Having more state-sponsored predator control, or having more people climb the mountain to kill the bears that they already see?

I would have no issue with an increased bag limit, but what would it accomplish if folks aren't chasing the bears anyway? And if it's a good idea (and it very well may be), then put in a proposal to the Board of Game. Anyone can submit a proposal and it is easy to do. F&G doesn't set the regulations - the Board does.
    As I see it, some people like to bait in the spring without going a long way out. 3 bears in 14A would allow for shooting bears in the fall and still be able to get one over bait after a long winter, just my thoughts on it.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Don't have to take the meat. Legal to sell the hides, may not get much for it but still helping out the cause. Otherwise, not stir to the poo, but if not willing to give locales, sounds like time to put up or shut up. Otherwise falling on deaf ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouthead View Post
    As I see it, some people like to bait in the spring without going a long way out. 3 bears in 14A would allow for shooting bears in the fall and still be able to get one over bait after a long winter, just my thoughts on it.
    Fair enough. Again, I'm not opposed to a 3 bear limit.

Another idea if we wanted to increase harvest would be to allow proxy hunting for black bears with the stipulation that the meat must be harvested, regardless of the time of year. For the most part, though, I think that increased limits and such has a very small impact on the harvest, because a lot of hunters just don't put out the effort required to take and deal with a bear when given the opportunity. I hate to see more reliance on state sponsored predator control when we can (in some cases) do that control ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Fair enough. Again, I'm not opposed to a 3 bear limit.

Another idea if we wanted to increase harvest would be to allow proxy hunting for black bears with the stipulation that the meat must be harvested, regardless of the time of year. For the most part, though, I think that increased limits and such has a very small impact on the harvest, because a lot of hunters just don't put out the effort required to take and deal with a bear when given the opportunity. I hate to see more reliance on state sponsored predator control when we can (in some cases) do that control ourselves.

Could do a 2 bear limit like 7 and 15. Gives a chance for two springs or a fall then one in the spring. I don't hunt out there. Will take on in Eklutna area if I get a chance, not far from where he is talking. I like spring bear hunting. The two bears killed in august though with buddies have been just fine and were eating berries, not much salmon in the area, but some of course. Just all depends on area though.

Cool

I just got back from a ten day hunt for sheep and I have one day left to hunt. I have been on four prior black bear hunts and have not been successful. I am a nine year resident of this great state and I love shooting bears. ( four grizzlies and countless backups) any info as to what trail and area and I will do my part to help manage these moose killers. Help a fella fill his black bear tag before he goes back to nome. Thanks all you moose hunters that want to see my smiling mug sprawled out on a black ball of fur in the sun. Thanks Josh

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter4811 View Post
    I just got back from a ten day hunt for sheep and I have one day left to hunt. I have been on four prior black bear hunts and have not been successful. I am a nine year resident of this great state and I love shooting bears. ( four grizzlies and countless backups) any info as to what trail and area and I will do my part to help manage these moose killers. Help a fella fill his black bear tag before he goes back to nome. Thanks all you moose hunters that want to see my smiling mug sprawled out on a black ball of fur in the sun. Thanks Josh
    In the OP it is stated that the area from Wolf Point to Metal creek is covered in bears. This is the Jim Creek ATV area on the north side of the Knik river - Knik Public Use Area. You access it from the start of the ATV trails in the Butte area (check out the "everything Jim Creek" thread in the ATV forum), or you go to the end of Maud Road and motor or walk in on the Rippy Trail from the gravel pit at Jim Lake.

The third way to access this area is to take a boat from Mud Lake ramp off of Maud Road and then head into the McRoberts creek and then up stream on Jim Creek towards the Swan and Leaf Lakes area. Take a left into Leaf Lake and you can sit there an glass the mountains sides for goats and bears. The water is really low this year so you need some serious jet boat skills to stay out of the weeds. Hitch a ride with a duck hunter running a long tail mud motor maybe.

For someone not wanting to give away his locals stating that his locals are in the general area of one of the most heavily used off road recreation areas near Anchorage is kind of silly. Granted there are a lot of trails one could spend time on and get no where, but if you want to see some country to glass then a good scouter will figure out where they need to be to see anything.

Does anyone know how far it would be on foot from the Maud road entrance to get to wolf point? I have only gone in from the Butte side and drove my jeep as far back as I could, not sure if I made it to Metal creek or not???

Which route would u take if you were on foot? or would you try to walk around in Hatcher's for bear? I have one shot at a trip with my Father in Law and I can't decide on where to take him on a walk about with decent success on a shot at a bear, thanks!

Or would you walk the trails in Petersville? Any advise would be great!

If you head up Knik, be prepared to fight the alder jungle to get up into the alpine berry fields. It is not an "easy" hunt by any means. It would be a real challenge to do a day hunt out there unless you are in fantastic shape or got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If you head up Knik, be prepared to fight the alder jungle to get up into the alpine berry fields. It is not an "easy" hunt by any means. It would be a real challenge to do a day hunt out there unless you are in fantastic shape or got lucky.
    We are headed out the week of the 13th and I'll make sure I do my part But I do agree with increasing the limit if there are that many bears out that way. Since I am a fairly new resident it would be interesting to know exactly how F&G determines population and bag limits. I know how they do it in some of the lower-48 states but there is a lot more land and to boot the land is not easily accessible so to come up with fairly good population estimates and harvest requirements must be tricky at best. Is there anywhere on the F&G website that discusses how they manage the number of permits they allocate every year? Like I said, would be interesting to know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast