Thread: Ruger Blackhawk Sights

Default Ruger Blackhawk Sights

I've had my Bisley model Blackhawk for about half the summer. 45 Colt, Stainless, 5.5 barrel and shoots 2 inch groups at 25 yards. I've had a few smaller than that but I think those were the exception. So most indicate they would be happy with this but here is where my displeasure comes in. Tight groups but shoots about 10 inches to the left. The factory sights have been adjusted as far as they can and this is the best I can get. Is this common with factory Ruger sights? What sights would you recommend for replacement?

I've become fairly proficient at aiming to the right of target and hitting center mass. It would be nice to aim at a target and hit what I'm aiming at.

Sounds too me like you front sight is on crooked or the bbl isn't indexed properly. No aftermarket front sight will fix that unless the front ramp is removed and put on in the proper orientation.

I would call Ruger and explain the situation to them. I would also get someone else to shoot it to see if they have the same problem. Also have you tried any other loads to see if you get the same situation? I would expect Ruger will ask the same questions. Maybe not, maybe they will just tell you to send it in. If you can make a reasonable case they should send you a box to ship it back to them in. Good luck. Those are nice guns. I've had some of those. Wish I still had one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Sounds too me like you front sight is on crooked or the bbl isn't indexed properly. No aftermarket front sight will fix that unless the front ramp is removed and put on in the proper orientation.
    Not as un-common as we would like and just a little can make a big difference. Many SP101 barrels are not turned in square
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Is it YOU or the gun? Are you using the pad of your finger on the trigger or is your finger against the frame?
    Is it the load? You can walk a group all over the paper with loads.
    Let someone else shoot the gun before you do anything.

as long as all loads print to the side in this manner, you can hold it anyway you want, and aint gonna move no group 4 inches at 25 yards, let alone 10", lighter and heavier boolits will group different in elevation and Ruger is notorious for not having enough down adjustment for the heavy boolits which print higher, but all should be close to the same orientation left and right. I think you need to talk to ruger and have them look at it. They will fix the problem and shouldn't cost you a dime.

One of my friends shoots FAR left with his SRH. I shoot center with it. He also shoots way left with his 1911.
    He shot at a deer one day at 10 yards and I found a boolit hole in a tree 10 FEET from the spot the deer was standing.
    Sort it out first. It is not how the gun is held, it is what a guy does when he squeezes the trigger. I have seen too many push the gun left with the trigger finger.

I am going to ask an obvious question so don't get mad, but where is your rear sight now? Is it far left or far right?

hi fb; i agree with most of the above....but if you like your load and plan to stay with it your ruger barrel can be "fixed" by a ruger armorer in about 2 seconds. it must be struck with a lead hammer to move it enough to change point of impact. it sounds drastic, but working at ruger in new hampshire it is a simple adjustment.
    a competent local smith with ruger knowledge can handle this for you at a very low cost. best of luck.
    happy trails.
    jh

I've been out of town for a while and don't have much time now. Thanks for all the reply's and when I return I will adress some of the questions and let everyone know what the outcome was. Thanks.