Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day

Default Opening Day

I shared the ACWR with about 50 of my not so close friends this morning... A few birds were had.

This thread is worthless without pics!!!!

Default It was good

This guy did good on the hayflats this a.m. I heard he has a secret spot where only a couple dozen other groups hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    This guy did good on the hayflats this a.m. I heard he has a secret spot where only a couple dozen other groups hunt.
    shoveler....its whats for dinner!

Default Nice photo

Thanks for posting that. Sure glad the dog had a good morning. I don't care so much about the hunters. It is all about the dogs.
    Just wondering, would a 16 year old lab need a hunting license and watefowl stamps?
    Nice collection of birds.
    ARR

Did ok at Maud lake. Allot of ducks flying close but flared out or would turn the other way. Got two and I was happy to try my new gun out.
    We did have so idot motored up to our decoys and was shotting at birds on the way to us and we got pelleted by shot.
    This guy was shooting as the boat was under power by the motor. Where was fish and Game...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Compared to years past the ACWR was pretty slow this morning. First year I can remember where we didn't get limits. Heck, we weren't even close. Great to be out regardless. I'm still amazed, as I am every year, at the guys who think their 3 1/2 " mags will drop birds at well over 100 yards. The hopeful skybusting was ridiculas. So, the most amazing thing....We had a Wolverine (yes, a wolverine!) come within 15 feet of us. We watched him come towards us all the way from the mud flats where he had flushed some sandhills. Guess he thought something looked funky and came to check us out. It was a sub adult and only about 3 feet long, but super cool. Anybody else see it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    We did have so idot motored up to our decoys and was shotting at birds on the way to us and we got pelleted by shot.
    This guy was shooting as the boat was under power by the motor. Where was fish and Game...
    Years ago I would see an older man running a big john boat with a long tail motor around Mud and Gull lakes later in the mornings. He would run through the grass with two shooters on the bow. Every time a bird flushed he would yank the kill switch and slam the prop down into the muck to stop the boat. His shooters usually didn't wait for him to bring the boat and motor to a stop. I could never see the boat numbers to give it to the troopers. One day on the way out the road I was stopped by a trooper who was on his way to the end of the road looking for sheep and griz poachers and I gave him what info I could about the various waterfowl issues happening frequently out there.

What I learned from him is that they don't spend a great deal of time on waterfowl enforcement since most the laws are federal mandates that the state adopts. They check your bag limits and shells at the parking lot, but that is about as far as they go. They also have to be out there and watch it happen. Without marsh boats and what not they are not going to be there when a violator is in action. However, they will take your statement and use it to catch someone.

It would be interesting to see some enforcement out there, but then there will also be a lot of guys busted for not having all the required boating safety gear as well.

A few years ago I had hiked over the alders into Leaf Lake and was sitting on an alder clump and leaning up against the trees. Later in the morning the guys across the lake picked up and ran around the lake looking for birds. As they came around the point and could see my decoys (one was moving) the guy sitting in the bow brought his gun up and pointed it right at my decoys (and thus me) as the boat driver swung the boat into the little cove I was set up in. When I stood up and pointed my gun at the guy pointing his gun at me they freaked out and spead off.

I not only saw it ,and this is the second time in a week,( the wolverine) but my dumb dog chased it, rolled it and came away unschathed...were you the 2 sitting just byond the big drainage past the ghost forest?..I concur that it was slower than usual, but I did find myself rooting for the mallard that did 2 laps around the west end and drew countless fire before it made a hard right and escaped over the trees of Ocearview We did not fire a shot this morning....unbelievable for opening day...same spot has been a consistant producer for 6 years...today the only birds in the the dekes were 20 minutes before legal shooting time. Still fun to be out...but no ducky for dinner

Default Limit of 8

Wyatt resized.jpgWas a tad slower this year it seemed.. Over slept and didn't leave until 622.. Ironic.. Got their at 7, tossed out 5 dekes and my mojo and had 8 ducks at a tad past 8, unloaded the gun, packed up, and went to another guy to find his 3 cripples.. Wyatt found em all in just a few minutes.. Not many flying, but what was didn't make it out of my set up.. I was happy to get my lab out.. he has been itching to go since last year. He turns 10 in Jan, so I had to take it easy on him. Went Solo instead of going in a group of 3-4 and retrieving 30 plus ducks a day..

3 Mallards, 4 Widgeons and 1 pintail.

Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    I not only saw it ,and this is the second time in a week,( the wolverine) but my dumb dog chased it, rolled it and came away unschathed...were you the 2 sitting just byond the big drainage past the ghost forest?..I concur that it was slower than usual, but I did find myself rooting for the mallard that did 2 laps around the west end and drew countless fire before it made a hard right and escaped over the trees of Ocearview We did not fire a shot this morning....unbelievable for opening day...same spot has been a consistant producer for 6 years...today the only birds in the the dekes were 20 minutes before legal shooting time. Still fun to be out...but no ducky for dinner
    Were you the guys set up on a stump with decoys in the water? I was there with my buddy just to the west of you if that was you. If so, we saw the birds come into your spread prior to legal shooting; they came right down over our heads sounding like fighter jets. I love that. We saw the wolverine too. Incredible. I saw its tracks before I saw the wolverine. I remarked to my partner that "these fox tracks look awfully funny."

There were a lot of folks out there, and it was way slower than last year. We managed 4 between the two of us, and half of that was later in the morning kicking up birds from the water. I will say that I appreciated that the people in our immediate area respected legal shooting hours, even with folks further down blasting several minutes early. Thanks for not sky-busting too. We saw some of that in other areas. I watched a flock of geese become the target of about 10 shots at an altitude of probably 130 yards.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

I did pretty well for opening day. I shot 7, (3 mallards, 3 gadwalls, and 1 pintail) and my buddy shot 2 (a spoony, and a widgeon), This is the first opening day in a few years that I didn't limit out. I had plenty of opportunities, but sometimes they just surprise you. It was slow but we had a steady supply of singles and doubles trickling in every 30 min or so. I got them all soaking in some water now, and will cook them up tomorrow.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I had an amazing day. I consider myself the worlds worst avid duck hunter. This is basically my second year and I finally got my first duck. It's a little tough shooting with your non-dominant eye and left handed (I am right handed). It is getting easier and I had a blast. Thanks for the help Duckslayer.

out of everyone hunting today there has to be more pictures....lets see them

Greg:
    That was us, my son and very irritating dog that whined non stop until we went on the wolverine walk. Jason was in the driftwood blind closer to you, Kenworth and I were on the stump. Those fighter pilot ducks were cool, just a shade early tho, and I was amazed (disappointed) that that was the last of the action....The cranes tempted me pretty bad and Jason wanted to know why I didnt shoot, but they were about 20 yard or so too far away. We were over by the dike/storm drain when 4 geese came thru much lower than the rest and the west end opened up on them...looked like on was going down for a second, but recovered and went with the others.

between the 3 of us we got 12, i limited out, my buddy got his first duck ever. most of the birds we got were mallards and widgeon with 2 goldeneyes thrown in there all in all was a great opener.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

They are fattening up quick out here on the west coast, but haven't shot any yet.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

The problem with setting up deks early is you don't know where the ideits will be the next day. We had a nice looking spread of 32 duck deks and 9 geese floates and I was really looking forward to this mornings hunt. First mistake, took over a hour to find my deks in the dark, that really screwed me, but my fault fully, first time I've hunted the area and got lost. When I did fine them, we were boxed in on both sides 100 or so yards away, by a group of 4 on one side, and another blind of 2 on the other. The group of four where blasting away at anything within 100 yrds, and what amaized me, a number of the ducks were falling also, but nothing made it to us from their side. The other guys were a little more realisitic in thier shooting but between the 2 groups, not many made it to our deks, and most of the ones who did snuck right in on our backs and were gone by the time we were shooting. fun morning but not many duckies. Look forward to the crowd clearing out and letting us have some shots at ducks that are allowed to work the deks and calls. That is where the fun is for me, that and the dogs working. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    Greg:
    That was us, my son and very irritating dog that whined non stop until we went on the wolverine walk. Jason was in the driftwood blind closer to you, Kenworth and I were on the stump. Those fighter pilot ducks were cool, just a shade early tho, and I was amazed (disappointed) that that was the last of the action....The cranes tempted me pretty bad and Jason wanted to know why I didnt shoot, but they were about 20 yard or so too far away. We were over by the dike/storm drain when 4 geese came thru much lower than the rest and the west end opened up on them...looked like on was going down for a second, but recovered and went with the others.
    Hehe, we heard your dog. Mark's (hunting partner) dog was whining from time to time as well. He's a bit of a puppy still. I'm sure you saw him come out with me to get the birds, only to jump around like an idiot as I found them and picked them up. He did much better later in the day, finding and retrieving my other two birds, which I may otherwise not have found.

You guys had a good spread of decoys. Sorry you didn't have more action. I saw you pass on the sandhills. They looked a touch high to me too.

Sorry to the comments about posting photos. We took none. After only getting two ducks in the morning, I plucked them up while we were taking a 10 minute break. At that point, I thought that was all we were going to get. We got two more later, and we plucked them at the end of the dike before heading up. Birds without feathers aren't as photogenic.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Thumbs up killer day

Opening day was a blast.... literally! Ducks were flying non-stop and were loving our spread/calls. The weather could have been a little cooler with a lower ceiling, but either way it was still killer. Hunted with in a group of 4 with no one else around. Ended up taking out 25 between the 4 of us. The buddys dog did excellent, she was more excited about retrieving than we were about shooting i think! Me and my friend both went 1 shy of our limits. Lost 3-4 due to diving/evasive escape tactics. Hopefully the dog will get em tonight when we go back. Heard the geese are coming in pretty good at rabbit creek, is this true?

New to the site, how do i upload photos? Says i need a url like a web address.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast