Thread: Wife's first

Default Wife's first

Well for all of those out there that said there were no/few bou for th 40 mile hunt this year I thought I'd share the one that my wife got. Not bad for a first Bou either. The morning started out really slow. We got to our glassing area right at daybreak. The wife was a little winded, we had just hiked in a little over three miles, up and over one mountain. We got settled in but couldn't see 30-40 yrds around us due to the low cloud cover. I decided to move us near a heavly used trail just incase the clouds didn't lift. With in 20min we had a group of 13 cows and bulls right in our lap, I pick out the biggest one for her and tell her as soon as the cows clear from behind it to pull the trigger. Well it was go time and there was no shot. I tell her to shoot and she tells me that she can't see anything, it's too foggy. I tell her to shoot again, still no bang. This group walks off wondering what the heck they just saw. We have a short talk about what just accured and I asked if she had her scope turned up and wouldn't you know it, it was all the way over. Now the finger pointing starts and who's fault do you think it was, mine of course. Really it was, I'd just taken her gun to the range the day before and was shooting it at 300 and 400 yards and forgot to turn it back down.

Well as the morning goes on we have a few more go past us but we can't see very well due to the fog so no shots. We were getting a little cool so I suggest we walk to get the blood flowing but she said she want'ed to set there while I went up the mountain. I went up and over the top ridge and then returned about 40min later, as I walked up she made a funny little comment about her killing a Bou while I was gone but I didn't believe her because I never heard a shot. Well at this point it was still too foggy to see 20 yards and I didn't see anything laying on the ground around her so I still didn't believer her. We walk over to where she claims she made the shot and walk about 10 more yards and then out of the mist I catch a glimps of the white under belly of her bull. As we walk up to it I couldn't believe how big he was. I think I was more excited than she was.
    Earlier in the year I had made a commitment to help her take her first black bear, her first bou and a moose over 60". Well back in June she killed a 6'4" black bear, now this bou and we leave this friday for the Koyukuk with two tags in hand. It looks like she may get her "Grand slam" she wanted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great job! That bou has nice back scratchers. My wife has a cow moose tag this year, so hopefully we can add her to the list of "wife of the year"

Thumbs up Nice bou!

Congrats for the both of you!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

very very nice, congrat to your missus for hanging in there while you went on walk about. whats here plans for it? she starting her own trophy room or????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

What's the rest of the story? She got one while you were gone...how did it all go down? Get her on here and have her give us the full account.

Congratulations!

Thanks guys. I'll get her on here as soon as she gets home today. She is a great hunting partner. I never have to worry about anyone backing out on me at the last min. leaving me high and dry. I do know her limits so I try not to push her to fast and hard. I took to calling her "nanny goat" while we were out there, we had hiked a total of about 13 miles in two days over 4 mountains. She is better at telling the story than me so I'll leave it up to her to write about later.

Vince: We dropped it off at the Taxi last night, her bill is starting to get really big but who am I to complain

Gotta admire a woman (or any Hunter for that matter) who knows "When" to shoot.........or not.

You two now have alot more in common, and thats important, especcially if you married your best friend.........

Keep it up!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Congrats! That is a dandy bou! Glad you had a good hunt. Mitch said you picked up the goods at Fast Eddy's!

Good job on a great Bou. Starting on the long trek in a few hours so hopefully we will see you on the Koyukuk and meet that lady in person.

I wouldn't take her to the Koy! She'll just get you to go for a walk again................and shoot a bigger moose than you! If you take her.........don't let her out of your sight. Haha.
    That is one nice bou.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I love it - keep it up - both of you!