Thread: Silvers in the upper?

Question Silvers in the upper?

Floating the upper Kenai this weekend and was hoping to pick up a couple silvers. Any news?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

We pulled two out of there in my boat last thursday. They are pushing up. They were pretty easy to spot in the middle of all the tomato's. If you take your time you should be able to get a few. We did not target them. One hit on a buddies flesh fly, the other nailed me on a bead. Nice healthy chromers too
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Just got back. Hooked up a lot of Pinks but still got into our limit of Silvers.

Would it be worth trying to line them off the bank in areas like Jim's or the Ferry yet?

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

We were down-trolling north of Bing's and the water was still pretty high and fast. Didn't see much bank fishing but it could be better now.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    We pulled two out of there in my boat last thursday. They are pushing up. They were pretty easy to spot in the middle of all the tomato's. If you take your time you should be able to get a few. We did not target them. One hit on a buddies flesh fly, the other nailed me on a bead. Nice healthy chromers too
    The words I was looking for. Thanks Chuck.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Floated the upper last Monday and saw a dozen silvers throughout the day. There should be more by now.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Would it be worth trying to line them off the bank in areas like Jim's or the Ferry yet?

Jon
    I don't think it would be good trying to line them off the bank. You would probably have to catch 100 reds for every 1 silver. I was trout fishing the upper last weekend and saw an assload of reds with a few silvers in the mix. If you want to catch them off the bank then I would fish the lower river in Soldotna. Saw quite a few fish caught down there Saturday, but there are a lot of pinks in the river there that will steal your bait. Good luck

Thanks for the info Aldridge! I'm sort of waiting for them to work they're way up river so I can try and line them with a fly. I'm not a fan of eggs/bait fishing (takes all the fun out of it! lol )

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Just thought I'd pass on a tip I used last year on the upper Kenai for silvers. We threw streamers at them in the middle of the groups of reds. To cut down on the red foul hooks I tied a fourty pound piece of mono on the bottom side of the fly like a weedless bass lure. The fly slipped over the reds and we had very few foul hook ups. We also had no problem setting the hook when the silvers hit.