Thread: Which trail to take the boy grouse hunting?

Default Which trail to take the boy grouse hunting?

I'm rolling the '84 Big Red in my avatar and the kids are riding a Grizzly 125, both are 2-wheel drive. With all the rain, can we get up Permanete (sic?) Mine Road this weekend (Labor Day) or the next weekend? Are there grouse up Belanger Pass? We've been up there when it was wet and did fine for a ways, but that was three weeks ago. I know we can ride Eklutna Sun-Wed. but can we hunt grouse?

Thanks,

Tim

Buffalo mine is a good area and the wheelers won't have any problems

My best suggestion is to take them cruising on the atv trail/path along the parks highway. Maybe start at willow creek and just head out and explore. SHould be easy riding and I bet some grouse to be had. the only downsides are that it might be dangerous crossing driveways and the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    My best suggestion is to take them cruising on the atv trail/path along the parks highway. Maybe start at willow creek and just head out and explore. SHould be easy riding and I bet some grouse to be had. the only downsides are that it might be dangerous crossing driveways and the roads.
    There use to be a guy that posted snow reports around Willow and I was wondering if there was a trail to ride around there in the summer or if there were only winter trails there.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Buffalo mine is a good area and the wheelers won't have any problems
    Might do that, its on the way to the other mine road.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    There use to be a guy that posted snow reports around Willow and I was wondering if there was a trail to ride around there in the summer or if there were only winter trails there.

Tim
    Its a mix of both summer and winter trails. I was mostly talking about riding along side the highway. But there is lots of little side trails to explore

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post

I would disagree with this suggestion for a number of reasons. One being that from willow creek north to the Kashwitna river is basically a tore up construction zone and they will make you wait for a pilot car even on a wheeler on the ditch. Second is that there isnt much hunting to be done from the highway ROW (for obvious reasons) and there are really very few trails that shoot of the highway in that area.

Better advice would be to go up to hatchers pass or shirleytown area, matter of fact the trail that starts at the end of shirleytown road would be a great one to wheel with kids and do some grouse hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Better advice would be to go up to hatchers pass or shirleytown area, matter of fact the trail that starts at the end of shirleytown road would be a great one to wheel with kids and do some grouse hunting.
    When you say the trail at the end of the road- do you mean the trail that starts not far on the other side of the bridge with a big parking lot...or do you mean at the end of the unmaintained road that keeps on going past the gate? The reason I ask is we took the trail from the parking lot two weeks ago and NO WAY would I take a 2WD four wheeler or kids back there. We had to cross three swamps, two were really nasty and required a lot of work to cross and liberal use of the winches at times. There were grouse, though. Is there another trail further back that's in better shape?
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I'm referring to the logging road that takes off to the east from the large parking area about 1/4 mile past the bridge. You can go back about 8 miles on good "road" then it turns into a trail from there. It sounds like you were on the mail trail, youre right that is one swampy trail, actually its really a winter only trail...but some folks like a challenge I guess...

B-29/baldy is a good trail to hunt. Usually see a few every time we go up there.