Thread: Bansner/High-Tech stocks

Default Bansner/High-Tech stocks

Anybody ever buy direct from the company and willing to share your experience? How about if you had a problem with their product?

I'm looking for a gauge of others experiences before I call 'em tomorrow.

Thanks,

Adam
    Gun-Steuerung arbeitet für uns!
    (let us not repeat history...)

I've installed tons of their products and they are top notch. Cheaper stronger and shorter wait time than McMillian. Fairly simple to instal if you are handy at all. Grinding a pad properly is probably one of the toughest parts for most people.

I got mine in the mail today and when I put the action in, I noticed the top and bottom didn't seem to line up. A closer look and it appears the bottom was inlet with the rear action screw about .10" off-center, and the front about half that distance. I'd re-fit it myself, but the opening for the bottom metal is far enough off-center it would leave a large gap along the entire side.

I'm not worried about putting a bit of epoxy on the stock to touch up the rough spots and sanding down the rather pronounced seam, but I think it's a bit much for "minor inletting" to include filling and re-cutting the action screw holes, much less filling and re-cutting the inlet for the bottom metal. Am I wrong?

They are meant to be glass bedded both top and bottom and then have the seams sanded and all finishwork done. I generally enlarge the screw holes prior to bedding to make it easier to get the screws to start in the action when you can't see the holes because of the epoxy, when it's dry the holes are perfectly centered and should be redrilled slightly to keep pressure off of the screws. I have never seen one where the bottom inletting was far enough out of whack that a few minutes of judicious Dremeling couldn't straighten it out albeit slightly oversize, and then epoxy bed it for a perfect fit. The recoil lug area somtimes needs to be deepened and any smooth surface you want to bed needs to be roughed up a bit but compared to most other brands they are generally a breeze.

While I use a milling machine as opposed to a Dremel for my inletting I rarely spend more than a half hour in prepping one for a bedding job. The real work starts with the finish work, IE sanding, painting, clearance for moving parts without cutting away too much, and pad install.

Thanks for the info. My biggest complaint is that the holes drilled from the top mold are obviously misaligned with the holes drilled from the bottom mold, and there's no way they could have missed it. A fix is going to take quite a bit of epoxy and dremel work to correct, so I'm going to give 'em a call tomorrow before I head out for the weekend and see what they say. If I'm stuck with it, I'll do what I can and chalk it up to experience.

I think I'm probably a little thin-skinned about this because I chose to buy a new stock rather than repair a stock that had off-center action screw holes which allowed the rifle to shift. If I'd known I would have to do major inletting anyway, I could have spent $40 on epoxy and fixed the old stock instead of dumping $284 on a new stock, $38 on a recoil pad plus the $40 on epoxy.

I talked to Mark yesterday and after describing the problem he said his stocks are meant to be glassed, but it's not necessarily a requirement and mine was a lot further out of spec than it should be. In the end, he told me to send it back so they can send me a new one. I'll post an update when it's all said and done, but I have to say it's refreshing to talk to a company owner and get treated with respect and courtesy. I really hope the new stock is up to standards because I'd like to keep sending my stock business his way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Cheaper stronger and shorter wait time than McMillian.
    I think you are assuming the average guy has all of the necessary equipment already on hand and has the time & desire to do such project. If not, they are paying a gunsmith, by the hour, and you've described a lot of shop time to pay for.

A McMillan? Take it out of the box and install your barreled action. Two or three screws (depending on your rifle) and you're done. End of story.

A McMillan costs $438, and Diesel Nut said he paid $284 plus a recoil pad and extras for the Bansner/High-Tech. Personally, I'm thinking the extra $154 (less than that, actually) is money well spent on the drop-in and completely finished McMillan stock. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    I talked to Mark yesterday and after describing the problem he said his stocks are meant to be glassed, but it's not necessarily a requirement and mine was a lot further out of spec than it should be. In the end, he told me to send it back so they can send me a new one. I'll post an update when it's all said and done, but I have to say it's refreshing to talk to a company owner and get treated with respect and courtesy. I really hope the new stock is up to standards because I'd like to keep sending my stock business his way.
    I hope you get the results you seek. Customer service is always a good thing, and it is nice to reward those that understand that part of conducting business. I look forward to your update.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    A McMillan costs $438, and Diesel Nut said he paid $284 plus a recoil pad and extras for the Bansner/High-Tech. Personally, I'm thinking the extra $154 (less than that, actually) is money well spent on the drop-in and completely finished McMillan stock. YMMV.
    I agree completely. There is "savings" and and then there is "value" to consider. While McM may not always deliver on the former, the latter is assured.
    Esse quam videri

A McMillan? Take it out of the box and install your barreled action. Two or three screws (depending on your rifle) and you're done. End of story.
    Yeah, thats all there is

Kid is nice, Im not. So here is the morning me, before I head to Birchwood:

Kid works on the guns, I dont. But, I cringe at the bottom line every time I hear McMillan 'cuz Kid got to rework those expensiive, crap customer service monstrosities almost as much as a blank. YMMV, drop it in you may like your stock/metal fit to look like a 10 year old did it, or you may get lucky.

And make sure after they take their 5 months or so that they get your order right, dont overcharge your credit card and are nice to you on the phone
    Ken
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ken-Wi...10532992360444
    Y'all can watch my antics on Wild West Alaska, Animal Planets new hit show.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Kid is nice, Im not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    And make sure after they take their 5 months or so that they get your order right, dont overcharge your credit card and are nice to you on the phone
    Could there be any correlation between these two statements?

Just yanking your chain. Get some morning coffee and smile at the sunshine.