Thread: Remington 700 .338 win mag

Default Remington 700 .338 win mag

I just purchased a nice 700 BDL chambered in 338 Win Mag. Iwould like to replace the stock with a synthetic unit. Would my rifle be classified as a long action mag?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegilljoe View Post
    I just purchased a nice 700 BDL chambered in 338 Win Mag. Iwould like to replace the stock with a synthetic unit. Would my rifle be classified as a long action mag?
    Yes. Normally it will be cataloged as LA700 Magnum Contour (or magnum barrel channel).
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegilljoe View Post
    I'm not trying to dissuade you too much, but I have a 700 BDL in 300 Win Mag I bought in 1987. It's been through hell. I've poured wood filler into the many dings on the stock. It's been rained on, snowed on, banged around, dropped on a rock when the sling screw came loose. I can still shoot 3/4" to 1" 100 yd groups with it (my dad puts them into 1/2").

Nov-08-Jan-09085.jpg

Forgive me for asking, but why would you buy the only Remington with a nice, handsome walnut stock, and then replace it with a synthetic stock, like so many of the Remington 700s already come with?

I never get rid of the wood stock but feel like saving it. Hate to make a mess out of a great stock.