Thread: curious what upland hunting means to folks here

Default curious what upland hunting means to folks here

First let me qualify this by saying however you hunt and whatever means, so long as it is legal is fine with me but I am curious how many feel like I do, that upland hunting may be the last vestige of "old school hunting."
    Where the dog in the field with you is every bit as important as the shotgun in your hands. Shooting a double gun is more important than having a tube full in an auo loader that shoots faster than you can pull the trigger.
    Shooting only a couple of birds out of any covey.
    You are incapable of shooting birds on the ground with a .22 or I guess with a shotgun for that matter.
    The success of the day is measured in how your dog did, not how many birds you shot.

I cut my teeth upland hunting as a poor farm kid in the pheasant fields of North Dakota back in the 60s. Been in Alaska since 1971 and still go back to North Dakota on occasion to hunt peasants and sharptails with my dad. There was always a "right"way to do things back then and I have strived to maintain that same quality of the experience here.
    I suppose I am basically a dinosaur but it seems to me with upland hunting it is never about meat (I understand the exception being the bush folks feeding themselves and family) it is about being in the field, being a part of the life cycle at a pace in keeping with the natural world. It is one of the few hunting activities that is free of camoflauge, electronics of some sort, high tech optics and the like. The one exception being the electronic dog training devices, which while I use as little as possible, is definitly the most non-obtrusive way to train if used properly.
    Anyway, I suppose this is prompted by an upcoming trip to the interior with a new English Setter pup and of course I am thinking about it non-stop. Even with the duck opener tomorrow I can't settle down about the Delta trip.

Sameyer,

Your post pretty much describes me as well. I wish you and your dog much luck this autumn season.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by sameyer View Post
    Been in Alaska since 1971 and still go back to North Dakota on occasion to hunt peasants...
    I love when typo's imply something entirely different than what was intended. I got a good chuckle out of this one. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a "peasant" season here in AK?

I owe you a serious reply here, but need to take care of some work issues first.

Indeed it would!

Smile

I tell you, you laid it out best! I feel the same way. I attribute that to how my grandpa taught me! The funny thing is that I was born in 1977.....looks like you moved to Alaska before I was even born! Really though I don't think it has to do with age, as much as it has to do with how you were taught. I like to think my folks/family did a good job of instilling an "old way of thinking," or at least good morals in me.

Hoyt,

I think you are right, upbringing has much to do with it and it is great to see a young guy who feels that way. By the way I showed my hunting partner the picture of Paxson, she was stunned by how good looking he is. We are headed up that way this Sat. Going in cold so really are not sure where we will end up, figure its a scouting trip as much as anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by sameyer View Post
    Hoyt,

I think you are right, upbringing has much to do with it and it is great to see a young guy who feels that way. By the way I showed my hunting partner the picture of Paxson, she was stunned by how good looking he is. We are headed up that way this Sat. Going in cold so really are not sure where we will end up, figure its a scouting trip as much as anything else.
    I wish we could meet up, but I had a chance at some OT this weekend, and took it! I always try to balance "working too much" with "padding the reserve tanks!" Oh well, we have a guy coming to service our furnace, and the wife just found out she needs $850 worth of work done to her vehicle! Glad I took the OT! If I remember right, you're heading to the Delta area right? If you're not able to get a farmer to let you hunt, I still think a guy could do well on the bison ranges down there. I would try the Gerstle River fields. Again thanks for the kind words about Pax.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    I wish we could meet up, but I had a chance at some OT this weekend, and took it! I always try to balance "working too much" with "padding the reserve tanks!" Oh well, we have a guy coming to service our furnace, and the wife just found out she needs $850 worth of work done to her vehicle! Glad I took the OT! If I remember right, you're heading to the Delta area right? If you're not able to get a farmer to let you hunt, I still think a guy could do well on the bison ranges down there. I would try the Gerstle River fields. Again thanks for the kind words about Pax.
    Sent you a PM, thanks