Thread: trouble sighting in scope

Default trouble sighting in scope

I have been trying to sight in my 7mm rem mag.
    The problem is I cant get it to stop shooting low and to the left. I am getting pretty good groups. They are just all low and to the left no matter how much I adjust the scope.

So do I have a broken scope?

I would say most likely yes since it is consistent. Have you tried zeroing it by setting up a target at 50 yards, put the gun in a vise and aim it at the center a target then send a round down range. After firing put the cross hairs back on the center and make the scope adjustments as you are looking through it at the target. You should be able to watch them move as you walk them over to where they cover the bullet hole. As long as you don't bump the rifle your next shot should be pretty close to right on the money. If your scope adjustments are broken it should be pretty obvious while doing this.

Are you sure your scope mount(s) are in line with your bore? If not, you may never be able to adjust for zero. Midway has some good Youtube DIYS videos on checking alignment of scope mounts.
    Have you used a bore laser to zero in? Might be worth the money if you are sure the scope is aligned. Some are less than $50.
    If it is aligned properly, and you can't pull the groupings to your cross hairs, then LuJon is correct and your scope is haywire.

Oh, and some advice: if don't have an expensive scope, don't blow your cover. Somebody is bound to call you cheap if you didn't lay out a grand.

a friend of mine had the same problem. Was swearing it was his browning bolt action. ended up being a stripped screw on the scope mount. Found it when we talked him into replacing the scope.

I didn't even think about the mounts. They came with the gun and I have never messed with them other then to attach the scope.

unfortunatly I don't have a vice or a bore laser and money is a little tight at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

laser won't matter much if you are on paper. I just remove my bolt and look down the barrel to get on paper, then pop off a couple shots. Giving time between to let the barrel cool.

You can use sand bags in place of vice for the method I mention above, you just need something to keep it stable.

When you say "no matter how much I adjust the scope," how much do you mean? Are you shooting at 100yds?

The closer the paper is, the more you have to crank the scope to adjust it.
    I would try shooting at 100yds, and then adjusting the windage somethink like 6 inches (24 clicks with most scopes) to the right. If the holes don't move to the right, IMO, you likely have a problem scope, rather than mounts. No matter how wacky the mounts are, if you keep shooting tight groups to the left, and you adjust the scope to produce impacts inches to the right, and it doesn't do that, you have a scope issue.

ok so I was shooting at about 75 yards because that is about the farthest I can get at the Private location I can shoot at.
    I shot 3 rounds.
    Nice grouping about 4 inches low and 4 inches left. So I adjusted about 6 inches right and up (adjustments are at 100 yards).
    The next group was may be an inch closer, so I tried again, and the grouping was right next to the previous. (the shots overlaped with the previous set.)

Maybe I'll try some sand bags next time, that sounds like a good idea.