Thread: prince of whales black bear

Default prince of whales black bear

Hi all, me and some friends are planning a spring hunt for next year. We were thinking of driving so we would have our truck to hunt out of, any advice on time of year is best also is truck good idea or would boat be best. Any advice or tips from vetran bear hunters or anyone that has done this hunt would be apreciated. Also if anyone has done the drive from lower 48 thru canada lately a heads up on what to expect in the way of having rifles and bows and generally getting thru border? Thanks, Tyler

Please, someone had to of hunted bear on pow, we really want to just bow hunt but have been trying to decide the best method either spot and stalk from the roads, baiting or from a skiff? We are planning on coming next May.

I highly suggest this instead------ www.coffmancoveak.com
    check it out!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyfan View Post
    Please, someone had to of hunted bear on pow, we really want to just bow hunt but have been trying to decide the best method either spot and stalk from the roads, baiting or from a skiff? We are planning on coming next May.
    Any of those methods will work during the spring hunt on POW. I prefer to glass beaches and estuaries from my boat though. Please educate yourself on the difference between a boar and a sow, and only shoot boars.

Hmmmm, cowboyfan, as in dallas cowboys? Now if it was seahawkfan we might be able to work something out.

Thanks for the advice I we will start educating ourselves on the boar and sow differences. Also ibohnt I might be able to pretend to be a seahawks fan for some good bowhunting advice there.

Default Did you mean Wales, or...

... is "prince of whales" an orca or a grey?

Your right sorry a scholar i am not

people on here arent too fond of giving hunting advice it seems...funny huh? anyway customs is tough...you need to claim all of your firearms and pay a $50 fee to transport them through canadian territory. i'm not sure the regs on transporting animal parts back...your best bet would be to drop it off at an alaskan taxidermy, have them do it up then ship it to you. if you plan on road hunting...consider not doing it. there are few roads up here and the ones that do exist get hunted and scouted regularly, and your chances of seeing a big bruin chilling by the wayside are very slim (jim shockey black bear hunting somehow doesnt seem to be reality). you should seriously consider bringing your boat or renting one up here...or if youve got 1000 bucks, pay for a guide to charter you around. i heard locals were complaining about outsider hunting pressure in POW and some charters stopped serving certain areas (hinchinbrook island specifically) that's why i'd say bring your own. POW sound is not lake travis though and you can get in a lot of trouble very quickly. like 270ti said the best way is to get out on a boat and glass the shoreline. also unless you are a resident you will not be able to bait. anyway, i'm new up here and never killed a bear, so take whatever i say with a grain of salt

Tyler
    As much as I HATE the cowboys ... do a search on the forums (top right corner). There is a TON of info if you do a little homework. There are lots of methods for a spring bear hunt, but in my opinion a boat is best. When you talk about the POW you are talking about a lot of real estate, I think if you do your homework and refine your questions you will get more answers. Also wait a bit because it is the middle of moose season and everyone here is out hunting.
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Cost and time wise it may be just as good to get on the ferry in Bellingham.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks for all the info everyone, I have been reading past post also and learning a lot. I did not know nonresidents cannot bait, is this true? It sounds like using a boat and glassing shorelines is the best method, is this also the best method for bow hunters? Any fellow bowhunters offer any advice on best way to find and get close to these bruins?

You can bait as a nonresident, just need to get registered. The regs are online at the ADF&G site. It can take time for a bait to get hit, can take a few hours can take a week or more. It is an effective way but you may not have the time. It can pay off if you put in the effort. Boating and glassing works well for bowhunting. Also boating to an estuary and getting to a vantage point can let you see bears you can't see from the water. As said earlier this isn't lake boating and if you aren't experienced you need to be darn carerful what you get yourself into. What kind of bow do you shoot? Also for at least one weekend I'll be rooting for da-bears (chicago)!

Thank you ibohnt, I shoot a older mathews, i'm not good enough to shoot traditional bows. Archery is hard enough I need every advantage I can get. Sorry to hear your going to have a bad day sunday, GO BOYS!!

Quote Originally Posted by ibohnt View Post
    Also for at least one weekend I'll be rooting for da-bears (chicago)!
    Well that makes 2 of us! And when I can't watch Da Bears. I'm watching the Hawks. Wife is from WA and I lived there for 7 years. Sat in the Hawks nest once awesome. Ok no more threadjacking from me. I would honestly use a boat or hire a transporter. even if you decide to glass from land you can cover more promising areas by water. Good luck when you get here.

Well, HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!

I cant even make an excuse for them, I had that one coming

Cowboy - I made the trip back in 2009. Feel free to send me a PM with questions...

RW

I second Coffman Cove Adventures. If what they have is not what you are looking for Mike may be able to help you out with what you are seeking. Price is very reasonable and there is nothing like coming back to a warm cabin and meals.