Thread: Montague Bears

Default Montague Bears

I am suppose to spend thanksgiving on Montague this year and I am trying to find out if I will have a chance at the bears? I am kind of guessing that by the end of November they will all be asleep but would like some facts if anybodys got them. any insight about the bears there would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Jason

I've been there in November and didn't see a single bit of bear sign.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

What part of Montague, North or South? I was there in Oct./Nov and really wanted to hunt brownies and we didn't see one. We checked our deer kill site a few times and it was being hit by birds, but not bears.

Tim

[QUOTE=tccak71;797684]What part of Montague, North or South?

North side in the port Chalmers Cabin, we will be on a sweet boat to access south if we wanted to.

I wonder; is there is a history of over-hunting on that island in the last 50 years or so? I don't know the names of any really well known bear guides of "the day" who frequented that island. Most stuck to Kodiak/Afognak/AK Peninsula. Be interesting to find out what happened to the population.

Ive been there twice now in the past 3 years and we go mid-november. Havent seen a bear yet. Id bet that they are already sleeping by then

Default bears

I was there november 1-10 saw 2 bears a few years ago

Two years ago I was hunting Hitchenbrook for deer at Christmas time and big bear showed up on the beach. No one in our party had a brown bear tag. I would say there is aways a chance. I make sure I have a bear tag when I hunt deer.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I wonder; is there is a history of over-hunting on that island in the last 50 years or so? I don't know the names of any really well known bear guides of "the day" who frequented that island. Most stuck to Kodiak/Afognak/AK Peninsula. Be interesting to find out what happened to the population.
    The way I hear it those bears that are there are transplants. Supposedley problem bears that have been relocated. there is not a naturaul population of bears there. But like I said, thats just what I heard. But from a few different people.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    The way I hear it those bears that are there are transplants. Supposedley problem bears that have been relocated. there is not a naturaul population of bears there. But like I said, thats just what I heard. But from a few different people.

That's what I heard too. Problem bears transplanted from Kenai to Montague.

Tim

[QUOTE=jnalaska;797711]
    Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    What part of Montague, North or South?

North side in the port Chalmers Cabin, we will be on a sweet boat to access south if we wanted to.
    We didn't exactly light it up the last week of October when we were there last year. It would be nice to see how other did on the south side...

Tim

I just returned from playing around on the beaches down there in the 185 this afternoon. I seen a few deer up high and the rivers were choked with salmon but no sign of bears.

Early-mid November there was a persistent brownie down South (for several years, but haven't been the last 2). Found him on our first kill the day after, had to chase him away from the cabin with yells and banging the maul on the porch that night, he shredded a pair of hip waders left at the creek crossing, shredded a can of diesel left on the beach (don't think he reported to DEC either), and tipped over the outhouse a few nights later. Never saw him after that and I hope I never do again.

I really hope someone took care of him. It is true the bears on montague are problem bear transplants, from the Kenai Pen. and also from the Cordova area. Rather stupid idea to send problem bears to an island with deer hunting cabins near salmon streams. I sure hope these transplants aren't still happening.

If there isn't a good October-November freeze then I suspect any brownies around may still be awake by Thanksgiving. Definitely bring a bear tag. They don't seem to always come running to the dinner bell as on kodiak, but they certainly may.

Good luck, hope you get one. PM for further discussion.

Was there the end of Oct 2-3 years ago. There were many bears, and hardly any deer. We were on the south side. We had tags, so our group took 2 bears out of there. I hope it helped the deer population, because there werent many.

My guess is if it is a warm fall, or a poor slamon year, you could see a bear around thanksgiving. Ive seen them out that late in Kodiak.