Thread: Question about Valdez

Default Question about Valdez

Hello,

I have been a member of this forum for a number of years and appreciate all of the information and advice that is available here.

We live in Louisiana and try to come to Alaska every other year if finances permit. We usually fish the Allison Point area and were there in late July of this year. We always have had good success in that area and late July is the time we usually try to be there. We, unlike the locals, like to fish for pinks. Easy to catch, plentiful and since we keep no fish they are ideal for us.

Now my question. I have a 10 year old grandson that I want to bring on our next trip (probably 2012) but he is unavailable in late July. We would probably have to come in early July or early August. As a general rule what is the earliest, and latest, you can catch good numbers of pinks from Allison Point? I know that we could come in mid to late August and probably stand a good chance of catching silvers in this area but for a child this age we need plenty of action (which equals pinks).

I hope the remainder of everyone's season is great.

Thanks for taking time to offer your advice.

Charlie

If you really want pinks. Early July.

In 2008 I was there in Early July but the pinks had not arrived yet.
    At least not in good numbers.

I think a good thing to do would be to look at past posts for the first or 2nd week of July from 2006-07-08 and 09.
    See what posts were made about Valdez shore fishing and it should give you a good indication of how strong the runs were during those weeks.

good luck
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

If you want to catch but not necessarily keep a lot of pinks, I would say early August is your best bet. There should be tons of pinks at Allison Point. They will be getting kind of old and not so great for eating, but your grandson will catch a ton of fish.

I would ditto what AKDuke said, you will catch a lot of pinks in early August. In Valdez the Kids Pink Salmon Derby is usually around the middle of July but the fish are not always in thick yet.

Thanks, everyone for the replies.

Hope your season ends well.