Thread: Shooting at the Flood Control Project

Default Shooting at the Flood Control Project

I hate ranges, I like to be by myself with my guns. Until recently I would head down that little road that goes to where moose creek empties into the Tanana, but now there is a big sign there that says you can't shoot. Where else can you shoot there? Can you just walk out onto the flood plain and start shooting? Are there any other "non-ranges" around the NP area to shoot?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

woodsman - there are some gravel pits out off Nordale Road on the other side of the Chena. Back in the day we used to shoot there, haven't been there in many years though.

The gravel pits off Nordale rd. have been pretty built up with homes over the past decade or two. Can't say I'd recommend that. Just head farther west out on the dike and look for a spit that sticks out into the river. I think a lot of folks in your area go across from M&J rentals on the Rich Hwy. and to the dike to shoot. Seems popular. But you have to keep an eye out for river traffic when your impact area is the Tanana.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Went driving around today. You are right gunbugs, looks like all the gravel pits around nordale have homes around them. Found some nice unpopulated areas around there but no backstops. Found one large gravel pit but it looked like it was still in active use and even though I couldn't find any no trespassing signs, I had the feeling that I wasn't supposed to be there. Found an abandoned gravel pit on the north side of the rich and shot there. I crossed over the highway after that and found the area on the tanana that you mentioned. I will go there next time I shoot.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

buy out of town and shoot of porch like i do
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    buy out of town and shoot of porch like i do
    Yeah that's what I really want. Wake up in the morning, walk out in my underwear with my coffee, take a whiz, then fire a few rounds off. I could get away with the first three at the new place I am closing on up the steese, but the neighbors are still a bit too close for shooting.