Thread: Bowhunting POW

Question Bowhunting POW

I am in the planning stages on a Sept Bowhunt for '08. We are planning on driving to Prince Rupert, taking the ferry to Ketch then POW. Can anyone shed some light on what part of the island I should concentrate? I hear the northern part for deer, but we might also want a bear. How about fishing....does just about any stream have coho in Sept? I'm all ears and need some help. Thanks.

All the streams should have excelent silver fishing in Sept.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Smile POW

BeaverArcher:

I'd go high in the Coffman Cove area in Sept.for deer. I've found bears high, middle and low (rivers) from Sept thru Oct.

Ak Powder Monkey is correct, should find silvers most anywhere, along with the dollies and trout.

Have fun.

also for hunting black bears... if you hunt them in the higher elevations you will have a better chance of gettign a good tasting bear that has not been on fish.

Default Thank you.

Thanks for the info. I'm really excited as it will be my first AK adventure, and surely not my last.

Is it pretty easy to find deer that time of year? I'm used to hunting blacktail in Oregon, so I am aware of how thick the coast range can be. How about finding bear....any tricks?

Default Sept hunt

It is not necessarily easy to find a nice buck.

You should plan on a high alpine backpack style hunt. There are parts of the Island that are mostly low forested / muskeg areas but most of the mature Bucks will be just coming off their velvet bachelor group summer habit of the mountain top. Constant rain and foggy mountain tops can make for very difficult hunting also.

The Bear are mostly on fish in the bottom river / creek areas. It is basically two different hunts. There are a few upland vegetarian Bear that might be on berries in the upper alpine.

The other Bear scenario is that in years of low fish runs or lots of rains and high water flooding the Bears will leave the creeks for berries. Also in years of very high berry production bear will prefer berries over fish.

Default POW

BeaverArcher,

Looks like you have some good advice, so far. I like the North end such as Lab Bay, but the trick will be getting away from the road because many of the "opportunity deer" will be harvested by September. The thing about September is that many of the big alpine bucks will have gone down into the timber, but it is too early for the rut. Nevertheless, you may do well at calling on the edge of a skeg. You may even call a bear by accident with your deer call. Done that a few times. I don't like fall bears because they are mostly bad tasting and the hides are rough. Like Bowhunter 89 says, it's possible to find an alpine bear in a good berry year that hasn't ate any fish. If you really want a bear, you may consider visiting again in the spring. Not sure how familiar you are with POW, but be prepared for 100 varietys of cold sideways rain and carry an extra spare tire. The shot rock roads can be rough on tires.