Thread: Floating shrimp pots to pull or not to pull.

Default Floating shrimp pots to pull or not to pull.

To pull or not to pull. I found a bouy floating yesterday with a pot line hanging below in 1400 ft. of water. I didn't pull the gear simply because I don't ever want to be accused of stealing gear and who knows maybe somebody likes fishing at these depths. I got the name and called later in the day when we got cell service and sure enough the gear was lost and the owner would have wanted me to retreave his pots. So the question is when a guy finds floating pots should he pull them if possible??

Quote Originally Posted by whatablast View Post
    To pull or not to pull. I found a bouy floating yesterday with a pot line hanging below in 1400 ft. of water. I didn't pull the gear simply because I don't ever want to be accused of stealing gear and who knows maybe somebody likes fishing at these depths. I got the name and called later in the day when we got cell service and sure enough the gear was lost and the owner would have wanted me to retreave his pots. So the question is when a guy finds floating pots should he pull them if possible??
    The last set I found floating and drifting out to sea, I pulled and moved them to the closest shallow water and reset them there and sent a letter to the owner with the grid. Floating gear is fairly EZ to spot, the bag will be just above the surface and they will be in really deep water. I don't have room or the desire to have other peoples gear on my vessel.

Steve

My gut says pull it and deposit it (doors open) securely in an area where it can be retrieved then call the owner and give them coordinates to it. I am not sure if that is a good thing to do or not but it sure seems to beat floating/lost gear bouncing around the ocean.

Agreed with the pull it and drop it answers above. In the past we have pulled lost gear and brought it home to return to the owner, but I can see where that could open up a sticky legal situation if you were accused of trying to steal the gear or if you were boarded by Troopers. If left floating, though, the chances of the owners finding it (unless they were within radio range right when the gear was spotted) would be very slim.

Default Pull it or beach it

Floating gear presents a hazard to boats and whales, and will likely continue ghost fishing for quite a long time once it untimately goes aground or sinks. The responsible thing to do is pull it and turn it over to the owner or Troopers, or ground it with all the cage doors open and report it to the owner or Troopers.

No body wants to assume liability for good intentions, helping another person out, or for protecting someone from loss by rescuing their property....but, as I've heard said, no good deed goes unpunished. In the world we live in today I, too, can see the reasons for yr consternation and appreciate yr concern.

If yr of the mind and if you have the equipment and space for the extra pots, I suggest that you get on the radio and let someone else know of yr intentions and why, pull them out if you can reasonably do so, or barring that, pull them over to shallow water as suggested. In any case, call ahead prior to entering harbor to let the harbor master know of the situation then call the owner.

If the occasion arises, thank you in advance for rescuing my pots. I think a reward commensurate with the situation to be appropriate.

I know that the generally accepted protocol for gear that was obviously lost down south was to pull the gear and put it on the dock in a common area for the owner to claim. I can see if someone found their gear on your boat when you are not around and , or loading it in to your truck where they may have concern, but if your placing it in a common area, then they would see your intent. But some guys are just too suspicious for that even.

Robert

Pontiac-chief great video clip if only the ( pull or not to pull was as easy to answer) as that was to listen and watch.
    I've mentioned before pulling someone pots could turn into a mess. I like the call on the radio first idea sound it out then pull and return to shallow water. Then call the people on the phone, that may be the one thing to cover your ***** thats needed to be done.

Could we possibly call the CG and let them know that we're pulling someone's lost gear? If something happens later you will have a record indicating your intentions.

Default Not me

There have been plenty of people that threaten to shoot you or sink your boat for touching their gear, so I'll let them float to Japan.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

My self I'm glad the guy who rescued my floating gear was kind enough to call me when he got back to town and gave it back to me.
    Sad state of affairs when everyone trusts everyone so much, not every action is of criminal intent. That said log the Lat/Long time and date and pull. I sure the Coast Guard would want nothing to do with someone pulling pots, they are there for Life & Safety issues. Might be surprised to find the troopers on 16, or the owner!
    There are good folks left

I'd like to thank Lynol on the K Sea for making the decision to pull my pots and reseting them. I received a call from Lynol yesterday afternoon informing me that he found my pots floating in 1200 feet of water. I'm glad he retrieved them and reset them in 40 ft of water. He gave me the coordinates where to find them and found my pots exactly where he said they would be. This experience will definitely make me want to "pay it forward" to some one else. Thanks again Bobby

Default I've pulled them

I pulled a guy's king crab pot one time. It was floating, and the season had been closed for weeks. Admittedly, a better option would have been to do as some have suggested here - move the pot to shallow water, then call the guy and let him know where it was - but my friends and I mutually agreed "if it were my pot, I'd want it pulled". So we pulled it, and I called the guy later that night. His response: "Aww thanks man! I'd given up that pot as lost or stolen!" really made my day.

Some people are way too paranoid. I think its extremely rare, if at all anybody pulls other peoples recreational pots for malicious intent. I've lost 2 strings of of recreational pots in my career and both times were because I didn't know what I was doing and I simply lost the pots.
    One sure way to lose your pots is to deploy them in where the gillnetters and seiners fish w/ nets.
    I havn't ever paid any attn if someones shrimp pots are floating, but I guess if I knew that they were I'd pull em and call the owner

We should build a voting poll on this one.
    I always struggle with this one. There have been several times that I have not pulled them, readling this thread makes me wish that I would have pulled them and made the move. This year I have seen a number of sets at 1000 plus ft. So! I always question (Especially at high tide) if this is a float-away or a deep set that is just a little short on rope.

If you see my pots out there floating, please pull them -- if you reset them somewhere shallow, that's great, if you bring them back to the harbor, that's great. I would hope that most people had the same attitude, frankly, having lived my lifetime here, I know most people have the same attitude. Don't be paranoid. +1 on piranha's "there are still good folks left."