Thread: Military: New To Alaska

Default Military: New To Alaska

I just moved here about two months ago with the Air Force, and I want to go moose hunting. I live in Anchorage, and I'm not sure exactly the best places to go. Since this state is huge, I was wondering if anyone had any good places to start, or willing to take a new guy under their wing?

Thanks
    Scott

Scott, if you were Army I'd help you out... sorry, your s**t out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    Or Coast Guard.

I am almost positive there is someone you work with that knows what to do. I am going with some guys from work in a couple of weeks.

Welcome!

Just get map and start driving/scouting. Just make sure and keep your truck off the tundra!

Quote Originally Posted by JinAK View Post
    Welcome!

Just get map and start driving/scouting. Just make sure and keep your truck off the tundra!
    If there was ever the perfect post for the "whistling" icon, this one was it! -Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by JinAK View Post
    Welcome!

Hmm, with this and Mr. Strahan's response, there has to be a story..

Scott, welcome to the forums and AK. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there willing to help. You might want to list some information about yourself though. What kind of hunting experience do you have? Have you reviewed the regulations? Do you know much about moose? What kind of time can you commit to a hunt?

[QUOTE=ak_hunter7616;797806]

Hmm, with this and Mr. Strahan's response, there has to be a story..QUOTE]

Oh, there's a story alright! Don't get me started...

[QUOTE=iofthetaiga;797835]
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_hunter7616 View Post

Must have missed that one! But I will let it be!

Welcome, and thank you for Serving, regardless that yer Airforce or what not. You first class with me, because your asking good questions.
    You gotta give more details, and we can get specific, if not me personal like, then the next fella. Besides, theres other AF guys here, I hunt with one in Kotzebue.....

Some guys just dont like "New Military Hunters" as Ive noted from reading previous threads, but ignore them and keep asking questions that will get you in the "Know"

Fact is, Moose are all over Alaska, and with some time here, and bugging the FnG folks, you'll get 'er figured.

Good luck!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

[QUOTE=iofthetaiga;797835]
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_hunter7616 View Post

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Tundra-Dummies
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

[QUOTE=Vince;797890]I would've figured something like that would get their hunting privileges suspended a couple of years.

[QUOTE=Floridascuba;797901]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

I would've figured something like that would get their hunting privileges suspended a couple of years.
    Don't know what happened as far as hunting privileges, but do know that the BLM footed most all of the bill for ultimately yarding the rigs back to the road, and subsequent rehab of the damage. At least one of the rigs was transported all the way back to LosAnchorage by a towing company, and that was paid for by the guys government subsidized insurance. The Military for it's part agreed to print some brochures about not being stupid, and distribute them in some obscure corner of the Welcome Center... Your tax dollars at work. It makes me livid just thinking about it again. Did they learn anything? probably not. You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonr View Post
    I just moved here about two months ago with the Air Force, and I want to go moose hunting. I live in Anchorage, and I'm not sure exactly the best places to go. Since this state is huge, I was wondering if anyone had any good places to start, or willing to take a new guy under their wing?

Thanks
    Scott
    Scott,

I would suggest that you start off with some smaller animals like black bear and caribou before tackling a moose solo. You mentioned that you have only been here 2 months, this should mean you are still not considered a resident and will require a non-res license and tag.

Buy the Alaska Atlas and Gazetteer and read a copy of the regs at least twice. These will be key tools in your planning.

You will get a much more positive result on here when you ask more specif questions. The rules and regulations are complicated and most will not take the time to try to school you up from scratch.

I would be happy to talk on the phone and give you some tips after moose season. I'm in Fairbanks, so too far to help you locally.

Now is a bad time to get much help because most will be out moose hunting now. The winter is when everyone hangs out here.

If I was you I would keep a post on here volunteering to help pack someones moose. That would be a great way to help someone and to learn what it takes to deal with one once it is down.

The other advice I offer is to fish hard. There is some awesome fishing to be done this time of year and you will have many places to yourself, because many will be hunting.

There are education requirements for bow hunting, muzzle loading and depending on your age hunters ed. Use this time waiting for your residency to get ready for next year.

Most folks will plan their hunts a year out. Of course there are weekend trips and road trips but all fly outs are booked well in advance.

As military you qualify for a special license and tags and can hunt on military lands before you are a resident. Find a military mentor and get up to speed on that part.

Alaska plays rough, get out and do some fishing and camping and learn what gear works for you now. Better to find out on the road system then out in the bush.

Welcome to the forum and Alaska...

There are several great books sold in the forum book store, not a bad place to start.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post

Don't know what happened as far as hunting privileges, but do know that the BLM footed most all of the bill for ultimately yarding the rigs back to the road, and subsequent rehab of the damage. At least one of the rigs was transported all the way back to LosAnchorage by a towing company, and that was paid for by the guys government subsidized insurance. The Military for it's part agreed to print some brochures about not being stupid, and distribute them in some obscure corner of the Welcome Center... Your tax dollars at work. It makes me livid just thinking about it again. Did they learn anything? probably not. You can't fix stupid.
    Good thing Alaskan residents don't do anything stupid.

http://www.adn.com/2010/08/27/142843...-on-video.html
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!