Thread: Koyukuk hunters, are you going to bait bears?

Default Koyukuk hunters, are you going to bait bears?

For those of you heading to the Koyukuk, GMU 21D, baiting of black bears with a permit is legal from Sept 1-25 (see page 30 2009-1 regs). It is not too late to start a stink bucket to take with you.
    I doubt very much that many, if any, of those bears have seen a bait site. This could be a great chance to see some nice bears and to remove a few predators from the area. Past experience on the river is that there is a fair chance just seeing black bears while traveling. My guess is that it won't take but a short period of time before a bait site gets hit.
    A stink bucket will only weigh a few pounds, and you'd probably only need a few bags of food, a bucket of grease, and some sweets of some sort.
    Yes, there are grizzlies, but that seems to be a norm for a lot of the areas folks on the forum talk about.
    Think about taking a predator call too for bears and wolves alike. That could be a lot of fun.
    I wish there was an open bait season on the Novi. I'd be taking a bucket and some food with me if there were.
    Good luck, be safe,
    ARR

You'd have Grizz out the wazoo. My buddy did predator control bear baiting last year at the same time of year and the browns were just thick..... Not the same area, but I'd be willing to bet the same results.

If I were going to the Koyukuk, I'd be focused on looking for a 70" bull.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Black bears do exist

I've been to the Koyukuk 6 times in the past 10 years. To date, I've only seen black bears. The only bear problems we had were grizzlies getting on meat. Both types of bear are present throughout the drainage. There are numerous packs of wolves too.
    Yes, you might see more grizzlies on bait than blacks, but chances are you won't see either unless you bait. Baiting gives hunters traveling that far more options to take different animals, and, if successful, removes a predator from the area. Seems to me to be a win win situation.
    There are numerous areas including sloughs, small bodies of water, and meadows, that it would be easy to set up a bait site where you could be a safe distance away in case a grizzly did come in, and still hunt from the ground. It is not that difficult to get a platform built with natural materials.
    Keep in mind that in the Handy Dandy, P.28, Definitions, on "bait" it says: ..."bait does not include parts of legally taken animals that are not required to be salvaged as edible meat if the parts are not moved from the kill site." Therefore, it is legal to shoot either black or grizzlies over your gut pile.
    As for focusing on a 70" bull, I've only seen 2 myself on the K that were close. Awesome animals that managed to walk away from us, but very cool to see. A guy shoud not turn his nose up at a smaller but mature bull. Of all of the bulls we've taken, only 2 have been larger than 60". With that said, yes, I do look forward to seeing the big guys again, and that area does produce them.
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I've been to the Koyukuk 6 times in the past 10 years. To date, I've only seen black bears. The only bear problems we had were grizzlies getting on meat. Both types of bear are present throughout the drainage. There are numerous packs of wolves too.
    Yes, you might see more grizzlies on bait than blacks, but chances are you won't see either unless you bait. Baiting gives hunters traveling that far more options to take different animals, and, if successful, removes a predator from the area. Seems to me to be a win win situation.
    There are numerous areas including sloughs, small bodies of water, and meadows, that it would be easy to set up a bait site where you could be a safe distance away in case a grizzly did come in, and still hunt from the ground. It is not that difficult to get a platform built with natural materials.
    Keep in mind that in the Handy Dandy, P.28, Definitions, on "bait" it says: ..."bait does not include parts of legally taken animals that are not required to be salvaged as edible meat if the parts are not moved from the kill site." Therefore, it is legal to shoot either black or grizzlies over your gut pile.
    As for focusing on a 70" bull, I've only seen 2 myself on the K that were close. Awesome animals that managed to walk away from us, but very cool to see. A guy shoud not turn his nose up at a smaller but mature bull. Of all of the bulls we've taken, only 2 have been larger than 60". With that said, yes, I do look forward to seeing the big guys again, and that area does produce them.
    ARR
    You said it brother just more great meat to bring home along with the moose

Default What skybust said!

Just want to reiterate that both black and grizzly bears are very good food! So many hunters don't view even black bears as food these days...we seem to be going the other way with looking at them just as a potential predator of moose calves.

We're hoping to spot a bear this fall hunting. We can really use the lard and the meat, such a good berry year would imagine the meat and fat are sweet!. Thanks AK River Rat for posting the info on the regs along the Koyukuk.

I would expect the blacks along the Koy to be decent eating. Not so the griz. Plenty of shallow, salmon producing streams come out of the Nulato hills, and griz could likely have a strong fish smell/taste. If your bear smells funny, it will probably taste funny, in that area.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Ummmmmm. Bear BQ sounds good. I'm heading up that way but I want to save my tag for the spring. I will however be very temped by a color phase berry bear.

The bear was better than the steak.

Steve

Default What's that address again Stid?

I'm sorry, I seem to have misplaced the directions you gave me to your barbecue. I mean your house. Oh my, you don't play fair do you? I'm eating a lovely broccoli, mushroom, cheese casserole my wife made.
    Bear chops are delicious. Years back my wife had a marinade and recipe called "immigrants beef" that was to die for. No way could you tell you were eating game meat, much less bear.
    Why save a tag? You have 3 after all for just about anywhere a guy could want to hunt bear.
    Shoot a moose and a bear. Think of all the positives. A nice warm rug to lay on. Great meat to eat, pictures to share with us. And you'll have likely saved a few calves next spring.
    I have to stop now, the drooling is simply not controllable.
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I'm sorry, I seem to have misplaced the directions you gave me to your barbecue. I mean your house. Oh my, you don't play fair do you? I'm eating a lovely broccoli, mushroom, cheese casserole my wife made.
    Bear chops are delicious. Years back my wife had a marinade and recipe called "immigrants beef" that was to die for. No way could you tell you were eating game meat, much less bear.
    Why save a tag? You have 3 after all for just about anywhere a guy could want to hunt bear.
    Shoot a moose and a bear. Think of all the positives. A nice warm rug to lay on. Great meat to eat, pictures to share with us. And you'll have likely saved a few calves next spring.
    I have to stop now, the drooling is simply not controllable.
    ARR
    I have spent the last several years doing my spring bear hunt in unit 6D. That is a one bear a year unit, so if I use my number 1 tag this fall, I will be unable to bear hunt in a one bear unit. Clear as mud...

I'm seriously thinking about making a bear camp on the Yukon this spring instead if I can find anyone that wants to go.

Alaska had so many beautiful spots that when you find one you love you tend to go there over and over. I think this year I will set out to find my next favorite spot.

Steve

Default can't argue sound logic

Yep, you are right. Must have been all that good meat stimulating the brain cells. So you know what is going to happen now? Yessir, you are going to see a monster color phase blackie, and you are going to hesitate. Right smack dab in the middle of your Yukon Safari Adventure, you are going to have a heart to heart with yourself.
    And when you do bring him back, this time call me before you put him on the grill!