Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Would love some sound advice on moose hunting in Fairbanks and surrounding areas

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default Would love some sound advice on moose hunting in Fairbanks and surrounding areas

    Hello everyone. I am a fellow hunter and new to Alaska and moose hunting. Everyone on this site seems like very experienced moose hunters, so I was hoping to get a little advice. I plan on hunting 20B starting 1 September, with bow and rifle, and am looking for sound advice of where to go. I should have 4wheelers for part of the month and should have a few days off in a row to hunt. I am not looking to break any records for my first moose, simply have a good hunt and learn as much as possible. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and best of luck to you all on your upcoming moose season.

    I did get a taste of Ak hunting a few weeks ago when I took my first caribou. Was a great hunt and I learned a lot about hunting in Ak.

  2. #2
    Member Bsj425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    There are no moose in 20B you should try somewhere else.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    There are no moose in 20B you should try somewhere else.
    I second that! been here for many years and haven't seen one yet!!

  4. #4

    Default

    or just jump in wiso's back pocket

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    north pole
    Posts
    634

    Default

    I have some pretty big pockets.

  6. #6

    Default

    lol....saw ZERO moose this morning, fog was fun! Didnt go out this afternoon. Stalked some sandhills....no 4 wheelr run ins yay!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    north pole
    Posts
    634

    Default

    I took wife on a short road hunt on Chena hot springs saw 4 cows and a dead bull, I am heading out in the morning after work

  8. #8
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IDhunter80 View Post
    Hello everyone. I am a fellow hunter and new to Alaska and moose hunting. Everyone on this site seems like very experienced moose hunters, so I was hoping to get a little advice. I plan on hunting 20B starting 1 September, with bow and rifle, and am looking for sound advice of where to go. I should have 4wheelers for part of the month and should have a few days off in a row to hunt. I am not looking to break any records for my first moose, simply have a good hunt and learn as much as possible. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and best of luck to you all on your upcoming moose season.

    I did get a taste of Ak hunting a few weeks ago when I took my first caribou. Was a great hunt and I learned a lot about hunting in Ak.
    Sorry IDH, you're quietly getting about the same info I give on deer hunting. "You head up that trail with the log on it."

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Yeah, I am quite surprised. I can understand from some of the posts that bsj has posted, but I figured most people would love to help. I did a lot of deer hunting in the states and if I could help someone onto a good deer, it was almost as satisfying as taking it myself.
    Well, best of luck to everyone this season.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default Denali Hwy area

    I drove the Parks today from your area south, and saw many hunting rigs parked by the side of the road. The largest percentage of them were right about where Denali Hwy intersects the Parks.

    Maybe drive down that way and scout around (i.e., just go hunting, man).

    Check the regs so you're in a good area; ya gotta almost be a lawyer to not bust any laws these days. The right side of the road is likely all bad (Park land), but let the regs and where you find most trucks with ATV trailers be your guides.

    Good luck, and bring great rain gear and spare clothing; twice as many socks as you think you might need; its a wet one this year.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    north pole
    Posts
    634

    Default

    If you are in the army then you are familiar with alot of areas, hunt the training areas , on both ft wainwright and the YTA behind fairbanks, be sure to read all the regs and know your boundaries, there are alot of bulls and bears in the YTA.

  12. #12

    Default

    the yta is basically shutting down for excercises on the 7th. There is a pretty good map in the eielson rec office with areas and dates of the closure....due to live fire excercises. Someone forgot to tell the general moose season already IS a live fire excercise lol!!!

    IDH, you'll find out more and more less and less people are willing to spoon feed information. There is TONS of it on here just gotta do some research. My moosie areas arent so moosie anymore, sorry cant help ya! All the dam cow tags!!!!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    north pole
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    the yta is basically shutting down for excercises on the 7th. There is a pretty good map in the eielson rec office with areas and dates of the closure....due to live fire excercises. Someone forgot to tell the general moose season already IS a live fire excercise lol!!!

    IDH, you'll find out more and more less and less people are willing to spoon feed information. There is TONS of it on here just gotta do some research. My moosie areas arent so moosie anymore, sorry cant help ya! All the dam cow tags!!!!
    Trad Bow yeah I work at Ft Wainwright range control (no I dont control open and closing of areas) 7th is about right but gives a guy a fair chance this weekend, Dito on the moosie area's cow tags have definatley cause a reduced amout of animals, I use to see moose daily and now its a rare occurance.
    Good luck during the moose season

  14. #14
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Thank you guys for the info. Yeah, I have already been getting out hunting. I am just a little unfamiliar with most of the areas. I have read the regs at least 4 times and studied all their maps and bounced it off army maps, etc. Was mostly just looking for good "areas", such as up the Steese or near Healy. I put a stalk on a small bull (probably 30 inches or so, but very young) this evening. Pretty open area, but I was able to get about 75 yards from him.

    I see moose everytime I am in the Flats. It is unbelievable the amount of moose in there, but it is very tough to access. I plan to hit up the YTA on the 7th. Unfortunately I promised the wife a trip to Valdez for Labor Day.

    Good Luck out there.

  15. #15

    Default

    Wiso, you wouldnt be Fred are you? If not you need to find him in your office. I was trying to call some of your geese down this morning....man alive! got on a small forky not to far from their either, an old area we hunt.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    north pole
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Tradbow no not Fred. Ill say this scraping would be most beneficial as all the bulls I have seen are rubbed out, in fact I was messing with one right outside the building we were grunting back and forth. I have talked with Fred alot about hunting especially when he found out I like shooting traditional

  17. #17

    Default

    the bull I was playing with yesterday was still in velveta. younger forky though.

  18. #18
    Member tiger15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    211

    Default

    I believe the YTA closes from 8 - 30 September. You might want to look into that...

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    212

    Default

    IDH- Try some of the old logging trails down the parks that lead down into the valley towards the river or out towards cleary summit up on the steese. Just got a report from a buddy up on the Elliot that they have had 3 bulls around camp and they are somewhere just south of Livengood. There out there you just gotta get out and find em. I will confirm that the YTA will be closed because Im losing half my freaking rifle season training out there.... Wiso: You wouldnt happen to be the guy that was running the night ranges out there the first week of August are you? Well good luck IDH hope you get something.

  20. #20
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Thanks a lot ga2...I will definitely look into those areas. Especially the Steese and Livengood, just simply bc of the any bull. I was tracking that the YTA was closing on the 8th. I am planning to get there late on the 6th and hunt it the 7th. Then I will be hitting those recommended areas hard.

    Thanks again and best of luck to everyone on their moose season!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •