Thread: 550B questions

Default 550B questions

What kind of powder dump accuracy can one expect with a 550B? I have set up a new machine and the dump is averaging +/- .2. I have settled the powder in the dump reservoir and checked to make sure none is hanging in the powder die (there seems to be no static and all is clean). I am using Alliant 2000 so I would think the dump would be spot on. Thanks.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

What's a 550B??? Some kind of powder measure?

The accuracy of a powder measure varies with the measure, the powder, and user technique.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The 550B is made by Dillon. It is a progressive press. Here's a link http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...atid/1/RL_550B

I use the 550B for everything I load. When I load progressively for hand gun it measures flawlessly. That is of course spherical powder. Anytime I load with spherical powder for handgun or target rifle loads you can count on exact repeatability.

Extruded powder is a different story. I use the 550B one stage at a time for precision rifle loads that require extruded powder. First size and decap all your brass in station one. Then do your trimming, pocket cleaning, de-burring, etc off to the side.

After all prep is done I generally hand prime. You can prime in station one but I leave the small pistol primer bar in place and seat rifle brass by hand. I dump a charge in a prepped piece of brass in station two with the provided powder measure adjusted about a grain light. Then weigh and trickle it up with your scale off to the side. Once it's just right pour it into the brass that is resting in a tray on the bench. Once all pieces are charged seat the bullets in station three.

If you try and charge extruded without weighing and trickling you will see +/- .4gr and the slide bar will hang up once and a while as it cuts your extruded pieces. The hang up will change your next load because it shakes and packs the next charge.

Hope that helps...

I always call Dillon with problems. They always say "Don't suffer in silence." Have always gotten polite and helpful advise.

+1 on what marshall said.

Test your rounds through the chrono. I was getting .2gr difference when loading my .22-250 on my Dillon 550 and the variations in speed were no different than if I had hand weighed each one. In fact, the best shooting ammo I have ever run through my .22-250 came from my Dillon 550 in a mass batch of 100.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

AKDoug,

You're shooting an exceptionally fast and light round. At ranges under 300 yards I would suspect that you wouldn't suffer any negatives with +/- .2gr difference in charge.

Thanks for the replies.
    Marshall-the Alliant 2000 is a spherical powder, thats why I was wondering on the charge difference.
    Baked P-I did call Dillon, the are sending a new powder charge bar. What a nice company to deal with. They didn't say it was a problem but they wanted to see if it made a difference.

You just can't beat Dillon's customer service. Good folks making good reloading products!