Thread: Garmin 60CSX vs Oregon 450

Default Garmin 60CSX vs Oregon 450

Bought the Garmin 60CSX from REI at the Memorial Day Sale for $199 and now see their Labor Day sale has the Oregon 450 on sale for $250---wondering if I should buy the 450 or not?? Anybody have any thoughts on which is "better" and if the Oregon is "worth" the $50 more??

Thanx for the input.

The 450t is awesome but is $350 at SW right now. But I like it and am converting from Magellan, so kinda old school. But the topo's are already loaded. Does a lot and is touch screen.
    Tony

What is the intended use?

For geocaching, I'd take the Oregon in a heartbeat.

For general outdoor stuff like hunting, hiking, wheeling, etc. I'd stick with the 60 you already bought.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Primary, and really about the only use when I think about it, will be for hunting. I bought the 450 last week--both are still in the original packaging with price tags and I have kept the receipts so I can do a bit more research and see which one I should keep and which one should go back to REI.

I'm curious as well. How does the touch screen perform? My Droid phone is a PITA with gloves on and even sometimes hard with bare fingers. I kinda think some real buttons are neccessary.

The 60csx is a great gps. It is inexpensive right now because the updated 62 version is out. I much prefer the tried and true 60 over a touch screen. In my experience touch screens don't withstand Alaskan cold and elements nearly as well.

Ditto... forget touch screens for hunting applications. They are not nearly as durable and they are near impossible to read in the sunlight. Keep the 60CSx. It is a solid unit that will serve very well until the GPS system finally breaks down due to lack of maintenance.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

A little off subject. I have a 60CSx new and am a technology neophyte. I want the most detailed topo info possible on it. How do I do that?

Just get Garmin's MapSource topo and load up the maps for the areas you want to visit.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I have gone through two Dakota's. The Oregon's little brother in the past year. Both for no reason at all would not boot up past the Garmin screen. The guy at REI admitted that they had seen a lot of Dakota's and Oregon's come back. He Suggested the 62 to me.

I just picked up a 62s to upgrade from my old vista (01) and I really like it. The vista works alright, but I needed one with a micro sd chip to add custom maps. South Dakota game fish and parks people have been nice enough to put all public land boundaries on a custom map along with roads and county lines.
    It is night and day quicker than the vista and a little faster than my brother's 60. I just gotta have buttons because I don't like having to take my gloves off every time I want to mess with the gps.

Quote Originally Posted by bonanza View Post
    A little off subject. I have a 60CSx new and am a technology neophyte. I want the most detailed topo info possible on it. How do I do that?
    I just started messing with some free downloadable maps from here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

Let me know how that works.