Thread: Trapping a Bait Pile

Question Trapping a Bait Pile

ive done this before with deer hides, but that was in kodiak and the fox are everywhere...

well im not gonna get the oppurtunity to go for a moose this year but i have alot of old duck carreses and about 10 muskrat carcesses. soo my real question is how much bait do you guys use for a bait pile? just to throw some snares in the area and maybe a foothold or two around the bait itself..i have all that stuff but do i need all that for one bait pile? or only a few muskrats? any info on this sure would help...thanks

Lbtrapper

I wouldn't put foothold next to the bait. You are just asking to get birds.

Just about any thing can be a bait pile. One carcass or a hundred. Generally, the more stuff you put out, the more critters you attract.........including ravens. They will get in traps and snares. A fox snare set properly is also the right size and height to get a raven.
    Got anyplace to catch beaver? Their carcasses work good.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

nope, thats what we used in kodiak...but i have tons and tons of muskrat... idk if thats anything near close.. didnt even know what they were till i moved up here. but i trapped 20 last spring and theres still a ton in the area...will those work? and what about a gutpile from a bear?

Any kind of animal product will work. Fish, bird, large animals, etc. If you can't catch it yourself, try scraps from butcher shops. Maybe farmers have scraps from whatever they might butcher. Muskrat will work fine, but they are small. Easy for an animal to grab and carry off. Freeze a bunch of rats into a pile.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

You could also freeze the rats into a 5 gallon bucket full of water. Making it into something like MT mentioned but a bit harder to pick
    apart. I'd also suggest tying the pile or slurry to a tree with wire so it's not so easy for them to relocate it.

By the way, did you ever get that message about the local trapping association information?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

yeah, this is my first time on in about a week so sorry about the late replies..and great ideas i really like the sounds of that five gallon bucket idea...sounds like it would work really well, that all sounds great...but what about the ducks, and grouse and such?

and yes huntress i did get the email, but as i said..havent been on in awhile.