Thread: Semiauto with truly ambidexterous magazine release?

Default Semiauto with truly ambidexterous magazine release?

I am a righty and my wife is a lefty. I was wondering if there are any semiauto handguns out there with truly ambidextrous magazine releases. We have a brace of S&W M&Ps, which have reversible magazine releases (i.e., with some disassembly, you can switch the release from the left to the right). I'm wondering if there is one out there with a magazine release that can be picked up by either a righty or lefty without modification to make the firearm easily interchangeable.

It looks like the new Glock Gen 4 is reversible, not ambi. I'm familiar with the Beretta 92FS and that's definitely not ambi. Just wondering if there are any other options out there. Otherwise we'll probably just get another M&P, as both of our M&Ps have been converted to left handed configurations... :-P

Preferred caliber is .40 SW but we are somewhat flexible with any of the common semiauto calibers (9 mm or .45 ACP)...

Thanks!

The Springfield XDM has an ambidexerous Mag release. It is available in 9MM, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP.

Not sure if your looking for a small semi auto or not but a truly ambi pistol is the CZ82, mag release and safety are mfg ambi. I have the CZ82 in 9mm Mak but the same gun is available CZ83in 380. These are surplus Czech military available thru different sources but I know JG has them for something like $199-219.00. http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/han...s/cPath/16_155
    Czech police and military sidearm in the 1980s and 90s, in 9x18 Makarov caliber, with one double stack 12rd magazine. Black polycoat finish with plastic grips. A very heavy duty and accurate pistol. Has polygonal rifling for long barrel life (rifling not visible). Replaced the famous CZ-52. Comes with a holster (not CZ military issue), but does not have a cleaning tool included. Comes with one 12 rd magazine. In very good condition with some finish wear and surface scratches.
    left side:http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...82LEFTSIDE.jpg
    right:http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...HTSIDE9X18.jpg

The mag release on my ruger P95 is a true ambi release, (and it's for sale http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...0-Ruger-P95-DC )

The odd thing is on my P90 it's not an ambi release.

HK P-30. You might want to check it out. Pretty cool firearm with excellent ergonomics. Very ambidextrous.

Kirk out.

Might also consider one of the older Sigs with the european style release which is at the bottom rear of the grip.
    Afflicted by condition human

Anything by HK will have an entirely ambidextrous mag release by putting it at the base of the trigger guard in the form of a lever. They feel awkward at first, but once you get use to it you'll wonder why all guns don't do it that way. Plus, if you get one you'll understand why HK's have a cult following.

Springfield XDs, Walther P99 (SW99), Walther P22 there are many others. If you like the M&P you will love the P99, make sure to get the AS Trigger. Has same changeable palm swells as M&P.

Check out the Ruger P series. You can get them in various calibers and all have true ambidexterous function of the mag release and safety. I have two of the original P-85 9mm and can't say enough about the gun. Cost is very resonable also.

HK's mag release for me is incredibly natural and works better than anything else I've tried. Walther has a similar system. As much as I like my Glock, I find the mag release almost impossible to use.

I would look at the Springfield XD, XDM and Ruger SR and SRc. That being said, I am a lefty and I have XD's and Glocks and a 1911 and I find that using the tip of my left index finger to press the mag button works better than my thumb anyway.