Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does 60k get you?

Default What does 60k get you?

Just finished a 12 day 60k holiday er... "bioinventory" with the local biologist and team of techys. Ive never seen such nonsense. I thought long and hard before posting this but hey they were using tax dollars and after all work for us.
    We were using 14 dollar rat traps half of which didnt work. They insisted on trapping areas we knew were not good for voles or mice. I would go on a 4 hour hike every morning before they even got out of bed! Campfire talk was hard to listen too... hunters are the cause of all wildlife woes. I wont go on you get the idea. I would sooner go to the dentist than go through another trip like that.
    So what did the public get out for their 60k?? how about 1 vole and 8 mice!! It was absolutly nothing more than a tax funded vacation for some govt. employees. There was no "science" involved just another waste of resources. Those on here that buy into every biologist report should spend some time in the field with them sometime. That funding could have been used for something worthwhile. How much of this nonsense goes on every year!!

Ok Yukon. Calm down. Collect your thoughts.
    Take a few more minutes and tell us more about this rodent exbidition. Where was it. What was the scientific purpose? Was there any proposed purpose?
    You are normally not a jokester, but this one is starting off funny.
    And shouldn't you be guiding sheep hunters this time of the year?
    And shouldn't this be in the trapping forum, or the rodent forum?
    Please do tell more about the frustrations of conducting a Canadian vole trapping trip.
    Was this a subsistence deal, where you had to eat the stuff you trapped?
    If yes, what did those nine rodents taste like after cooking in a dutch oven? How big were the backstraps?
    dennis

OK,Ok, ok..one more question...
    How big did the pelt of that vole square out to be.
    They can be bigger than ya think.
    I'm betting it squared a good 1.75 inches.
    And last- really last- was there any attacks or remarkable bite injuries to the trapper/researchers?

Ok, I'm done. Really. Dennis

Sooo, was you 'working' for them ?

Remember, mice and voles are a very important link in the eco-system.
    Such fragile little creatures, and all the big animals just squash them,, with no regard to potential extermination.

Unfortunately I have learned the hard way that the population in my target area could not sustain the annual harvest that I put on them. I am fearfull that it will be many years before they will recover. I am sure that before they do the state is going to convert the area to "subsistance use only" and I will be pushed out forever. It saddens me that my family will not be able to bennefit from this fine resource!!

On the positive side it is nice to not get mouse poop all over my equipment in the garage anymore!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

yukon254:

I understand your outrage.

It reminds me of a phrase Phyllis Schlafly used. "Stupidity elevated to an art".

Thank God, that kinda stuff could never happen in Alaska. They would use helicopters here.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Did they get any Snagged Hair Samples? It is the only way they will truly know the density of the population. DNA tests are "cheap".

Would be real interesting to read the 'final report' they come up with. I am quite sure it will state the rat population is in dire straits and warrant additional protection. Do you guys need to import some rats? If so, I'll bet ADF&G will trade you some, for say maybe a Bison or three.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

ATA goat hunters this year, I leave on the 2nd!! Yes my "job" was to "guide" them down a river. Turned out I was a mule hauling all their gear over logjams and portage trails. The purpose of the trip was simply an outing for the biologist (he loves to do canoe trips, and had just come from a trip down the Wind that again we paid for!). They said it was to do a bio inventory of small mammals. I could have told them there were mice and voles.
    Yes the vole was a big sucker, his front pad was 8mm across!

WOW, lucky they made a clean kill on that sucker! Would have been terrifying to have to go into the alders after him!

I have always found it rather ironic and hypocritical when folks claim a waste of tax dollars on a project from which they worked on and put money in their pocket. But that's just me. Imagine you'll be cashing the check, Dave. So does that mean you're part of the problem? <grin>

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Just finished a 12 day 60k holiday er... "bioinventory" with the local biologist and team of techys. Ive never seen such nonsense. I thought long and hard before posting this but hey they were using tax dollars and after all work for us.
    We were using 14 dollar rat traps half of which didnt work. They insisted on trapping areas we knew were not good for voles or mice. I would go on a 4 hour hike every morning before they even got out of bed! Campfire talk was hard to listen too... hunters are the cause of all wildlife woes. I wont go on you get the idea. I would sooner go to the dentist than go through another trip like that.
    So what did the public get out for their 60k?? how about 1 vole and 8 mice!! It was absolutly nothing more than a tax funded vacation for some govt. employees. There was no "science" involved just another waste of resources. Those on here that buy into every biologist report should spend some time in the field with them sometime. That funding could have been used for something worthwhile. How much of this nonsense goes on every year!!
    Uhhmm...... where do I apply!? I heard they have a great retirement plan too!

-akiceman25

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I have always found it rather ironic and hypocritical when folks claim a waste of tax dollars on a project from which they worked on and put money in their pocket. But that's just me. Imagine you'll be cashing the check, Dave. So does that mean you're part of the problem? <grin>

He still provided a service Mark, and for that he should get paid regardless of if the venture was worthwhile or not.

Yukon/Dave,
    Thanks for the follow-up info...thanks for understanding and letting us have some fun with your situation.
    Good luck on your upcoming goat hunts. Following the recent ordeal, i know it will feel great to get out with some hunters.
    All of us occasionally get stuck with a job, or somehow stick ourselves with a job that is not our favorite.
    ...onward and upward...
    dennis

Bushrat no I did not receive a dime my contract was "in kind" payment. To be honest I didnt know what that meant when I signed on.... A hard lesson learned! Interesting though, the Bio and entourage all collected handsomely!

Yukon, was this Alaska or the Yukon?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I sure hope it was Alaska; we don't have a Canada Game Management Forum on this site...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    I sure hope it was Alaska; we don't have a Canada Game Management Forum on this site...

-Mike
    touche' nicely done <grin>
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

No it was in Yukon, I thought Alaskans might be interested as our Fish/Game and Bios work together on a lot of programs and Im bettin some are in the same class as this one was.

Thanks for clarifying. The darn Canadians can waste money wherever they want. It's their privilege of PST and GST and whatever other taxes you guys pay.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    No it was in Yukon, I thought Alaskans might be interested as our Fish/Game and Bios work together on a lot of programs and Im bettin some are in the same class as this one was.
    well the same ol story again... but truth be told... ( and since you hang out here you have to keep it secret)...

Alaskans as a rule could give a rats ass about our EH... speaking neighbors.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast