Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPOT 2 question

Default SPOT 2 question

Mods, move this if necessary.

My partner and I got back late (or early, depending on your perspective) from our caribou hunt this morning. My wife tends to be a little excitable about these things. Anyway, she is now dead set on me getting a SPOT. I'm not against the idea, but I don't want to spend the money on another piece of equipment to carry around when I'm hunting unless it really is worthwhile.
    So....does anyone have the SPOT 2? How is the coverage? I do almost all of my hunting in the Interior. If it works, I don't mind buying it. If it isn't all its cracked up to be, I don't want to have to carry it around.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

been using mine all summer... even while in Anchorage... all the way to the Yukon and up Hess creek down to Valdez out into the gulf past the light house, and to the copper river through the canyon where the sat phone would not pick up a satalite... has worked and sent messages, and tracked the entire way.

my daughter kept it on her while in the AK range on her bou hunt, and the missus knew 15 min after we got to the bou it was down.

batteries seem to last about 2.5-3 weeks in tracking mode
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Mine has worked great as well. No problems in on the Denali Highway or in Prince William Sound. My wife loves that I have the SPOT.

Not to highjack the thread, but in a related question, has anyone on the site had to use a Spot in an emergency? What was the response?

I got a new one for my daughter and my bear hunt and fishing trip. Out of homer for a week and then fishing on the Kenai for 8 days and from what I can tell it worked 100% My wife loved it seeing where we were at and the success that we had. Heck the rescue insurance is worth the price of admission.

I used my SPOT Messenger from Valdez to pump station 2 on the Haul Rd. and down the Parks as far as Anchorage and down the Steese as far as Central and on Kodiak Island with no problems tracking or sending messages. It works great and makes my wife breathe easier when I go out hunting.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Thanks, guys. That is what I needed to know. Guess I'll be ordering one tomorrow.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I used it a few weeks ago in the Northeast Brooks. Worked great. Very highly recommend.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

been using the spot 2 all week along denali highway and 8 miles deep into the woods...wife LOVES watching the tracks, breathes easy and insisted...came with free tracking for a year and simply attaches to the backpack...never even know its there...

I have used mine all summer and love it. One thing to keep in mind though. It comes with a little caribineer and case. I had mine attached to my pack strap on my solo sheep hunt with the whole family watching as well as my pilot. 2nd to the last day I realize that my familiar orange spot is not on my pack strap! Luckily I had taken the pack off for lunch and was able to backtrack to the spot before I got too far. The case is black on the back of it and of course that is the side that was up. A couple nervous minutes searching and I found it. The caribineer had pulled through the case when I picked the pack up and I wonder how everyone would have reacted if it had sat in the same spot in tracking mode for the next 36 hours.

The SPOT 2 is going to have a much shorter battery life due to the smaller batteries, but I've been using my original SPOT frequently over the last 2 years and it still has the original set of lithium batteries in it. They just won't die. My best guess is that they now have somewhere approaching 1,000 hours of tracking run time and who knows how many hundreds of check in messages sent. I'm duely impressed with the power consumption. I have a spare set of lithium batteries that have been waiting for the originals to die. They've been waiting well over a year now.

Coverage is great. I've used mine from Cordova to Kodiak to the Arctic Circle and everywhere in between. Never a problem.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

the battery issue is the biggest issue with going from the 1st generation to the second. I wish that they would have made the new one with all of the new features and kept the AA batteries. That was the toughest issue for me to get over and decide to go to the new one but the functions of the new one are to great.

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

What service plan do you guys go with? Is it worth it to pay $300/couple years or should I just go ahead and get Personal Epirb? Right now i just use a sat phone but sometimes that thing never gets a signal.

I love the Spot II messenger ,They upgraded the google earth page a few months ago and now its easier to navigate. I have one on my wheelers and 1 in my boat. I bought the orange spot case to go with mine the one they give you falls apart quick.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

You might also look into the new DeLorme Earthmate PN-60W gps with spot it has text . It cost more then the Spot2. I might pick one up next year when the price drops

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=219
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Buy it.

I don't know if you buy from REI, but if you do, everything they sell has their Lifetime Warranty for the life you own it, no questions asked. They are awesome to buy from. My first spot II quit working after a week and I brought it back and traded it out. REI is the place to buy things that you are unsure of its worthiness. They are a great store as well, and they really take the warranty issues seriously.

I love my SPOT II. I haven't used it for emergency issues, but it has always sent updates without any problems. Sometimes you need to get out of deep tree cover or away from the north slope of a mountain, but it has been great. I bought the tracking package and it is nice to be able to share your page with your friends so that they can see every time you send an update on Google maps. My wife loves me having it and I always get a call from my father in law asking how my trip was after I get back. My friend and I have each others text and email address on our OK button, and when we are out having fun without each other, we send OK messages to make the other jealous. Sort of rude, but we have made it a game it.

For the price, you can't go wrong.

You know what I don't like about the spot is there gawd**** manage profiles page - and *** does it keep changing format - and if you were going to change a user interface format - wouldn't you make it better instead of worse??????? And the hickups that I get with it are terrible. I just made a new profile and while adding in the last email addy to the last custom button the gaw**** thing got lost and restarted and I lost the whole profile.

Whew - i feel better now.

I see you can get the Spot2 for about $120 right now. What is the subscription pricing like? I'm assuming thats where they really nail you.

For basic and "breadcrumb" tracking $149/year.

For just basic (OK and emergency messages) $99/year.

Also there are now third-party iPhone and Blackberry apps so that folks can see your personal page from their mobile device: http://faq.findmespot.com/index.php?...Entry&data=107

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast