Thread: How "NOT TO" fireform brass

Default How "NOT TO" fireform brass

Was at the range this morning checking my zero before moose season and the guy next to me was doing the same. He shot his 30-06 and then pulled out his 338 Win Mag. He fired a shot while I watched and I thought WOW that 338 sure don't seem to recoil much.

When he tried to eject the spend brass it failed to extract and had to be fished out by hand. He laid the fired brass on the shooting table were I could see it. It looked like a fired 45-70 case. I had left my glasses in my truck, so while I walked over to get them he fired twice more.

When I looked at the brass with my glasses I knew right away something was wrong. The case was bulged and the brass had stress marks all over it.

I ask what ammo he was shooting. He looked at the box and said 338 federal. I told him I was pretty sure that a 338 federal was a necked up 308 case.

Well, he pulled out another box of 338 Win Mag ammo and sure enough there was a huge difference in case size.

Funny thing is that 3 rounds shot a group about 1.5 inches.

So be careful out there. I have a 270WSM, 300WSM, and 325WSM all based on the same case. Because of this I am extremely careful not to mix ammo.

Be careful people.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

A young man called me the other day. He stated his Ruger 375 wouldn't go off. I told him to bring it in, with the thought in mind that the bolt shroud was probably unscrewed a turn. He shows up. The rifle is a Remington 798 in 375 H&H, everything is tight and right, the striker falls with authority. I ask him if he has the ammo with him. "Sure, it's out in the truck",says he, and goes out and gets it. When he walks in, I immediately realize something is wrong, as the silver Winchester box is WAY too short to hold H&H cartridges. It's 375 WIN ammo for the M-94 lever guns. I informed him that he should be very thankful that he wasn't able to get any to go off, as it may have leaked gas and wrecked the rifle and caused serious personal injury. He didn't really have an inkling of the importance of the markings on the barrel or the difference in types of 375 caliber cartridges. Sadly, I'm not just making this up.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I watched a guy rip a whole clip out of an M1 Garand once and complained that it wasn't shooting worth a crap... I looked at his empites and they were marked .270 Win.

I'm amazed that old warhorse even cycled.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Steve
    This blow anybody else's mind? I'm betting it might not have shot that good with the correct ammo!

short thread so far but VERY funny.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

The morning mouth man at my local range was having trouble with his 9mm the other day. Every shot was going off but they were failing to eject. He was shooting white box Winchester. I took a quick look and he was shooting 380acp...

I still can't believe that short, skinny cartridge actually remained somewhat in-line with the firing pin not only once, but three times in a row! What are the odds?
    Gun-Steuerung arbeitet für uns!
    (let us not repeat history...)

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    I still can't believe that short, skinny cartridge actually remained somewhat in-line with the firing pin not only once, but three times in a row! What are the odds?
    is this a trick question? 100% chance, it happened right...
    just yanking your chain man, LOL
    I just cant believe that they didnt split.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Ive seen crazy **** with guys who load ammo they carry everyday in their pockets with sandwiches, keys, candybars and what not...uggggghhhhh.
    Been hunting more than once with guys who brought the wrong ammo~~LOL!!~~
    I could care less if you belive me, but I honestly had a guy approch a friend of mine in a gunshop he owned ,in Kotzebue , back in the late 80's with an M-1917 Enfeild.
    We chuckled when he called it a "World War One M-16, shoots all kinds of ammo, even the captured stuff......
    "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm????????"
    "Hunderd bucks" was his answer to the askng price......
    My friend Neal popped the bolt, Neal looked down the bore and asked , rather annoyed, the guy if he ever cleaned it??!!
    "Nope" was his honest answer....... and so was Neals reply.
    He then wanted to trade then, for a 30-06.......???***??? was the question of the day, but we said nothing, and Neal said,"This is a 30-06" to which the guy said"Ya"
    Then the guy confessed it wasnt exactly working anyway, so, since Neal was completly uninterested, I got it from him for 50$, I figured for parts, wood, and such.
    Anhoo , on his way out he said would miss that rifle, Cause it shot all kinds of ammo. ............??***?? we reflected back and forth without words.
    Sooooooo, out came the cleaning rod and the rifle viced in, Neal ran the rod from the muzzel, 'cause it wouldnt go in from the chamber.........and out came a .270 neck and shoulders firmly melded to a headless .243w
    I feces you not............It still a great shooting rifle, just a dark bore from neglect.

And then theres this;

30-06 .308 .308 through a .30-06.......

Two really seasoned Oogruk hunting friends of mine stopped in when the ocean ice was breaking up while we were at Deering.
    They complaind their rifle was shooting all over the place. They put in my hands a brand spankin' new .308, Winchester M-70 they had bought from a teacher scope and all. However they had the scope jacked with a nail, 'cause it shot reallow, they said, but especcially oddly enough, it wasnt firing every shot.
    I worked the action on 4 consecutive rounds that were in the rifle (we could do that at Deering, shoot the ocean~~LOL!!~~)and all were light strikes.... Well with time, tools and spare parts, I went inside and figure Id help 'em out.

First to go was the tape, which reveled the "30-06" on the barrel.

Gotta LOVE those Winchesters....

I was shocked, to say the least......and **** lucky.

I went out to the boat and picked up 10 (!) of those straight brass.

I should mention I do own a "Shoots it all" gun myself. A single shot H&R .410 shotgun that shoots .410, .45Colt, .44magnum, .44 Russian, .45/70, and .444Marlin.
    Its one of those tip up barrels that can take a swap out 12 gauge barrel, and the beefy steel with a 12gauge outside diameter and skinny .410 inside lets me shoot 'em all without a flinch
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

The cuz and I went out shooting in a local gravel pit and he had along his 45acp 1911 and his wifes 40 smith M&P. We ran a few mags through the both and sat down in the truck to warm up and reload. In the process he accidentally dropped a 40 in the 1911. No damage but a puff of gas came out the slide and it failed to eject. We had to run a rod down the barrel to get out the shell which was split to the rim. Got to relearn the value of only having one ammo open when reloading. We were each loading up a different cal but both boxes were on the center console and he grabbed the wrong one.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Was at the range this morning checking my zero before moose season and the guy next to me was doing the same. He shot his 30-06 and then pulled out his 338 Win Mag. He fired a shot while I watched and I thought WOW that 338 sure don't seem to recoil much.

When he tried to eject the spend brass it failed to extract and had to be fished out by hand. He laid the fired brass on the shooting table were I could see it. It looked like a fired 45-70 case. I had left my glasses in my truck, so while I walked over to get them he fired twice more.

When I looked at the brass with my glasses I knew right away something was wrong. The case was bulged and the brass had stress marks all over it.

I ask what ammo he was shooting. He looked at the box and said 338 federal. I told him I was pretty sure that a 338 federal was a necked up 308 case.

Well, he pulled out another box of 338 Win Mag ammo and sure enough there was a huge difference in case size.

So be careful out there. I have a 270WSM, 300WSM, and 325WSM all based on the same case. Because of this I am extremely careful not to mix ammo.

Be careful people.

Steve
    seen one very similar last week out at camp. one of The client hunters out there fired a 7MM through his 300 jarret... same results..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I am still amazed at the things I have seen through the years that makes me believe God is working over time keeping people from killing themselves. When I bring more than one rifle or revolver or pistol to the range, I take only the box of ammo out of my range box that fits the rifle I am shooting at that moment. All the other ammo remains in the range box and I make sure before I shoot any rounds from that one box on the bench that it matches the rifle I am shooting. It is a safe guard, because anything can distract a person and you could reach and pick up the wrong ammo if more than one box is on the bench.

When I load ammo, I do it one cartridge at a time with only one powder (the one I am using) on the bench and after each charge is loaded I check my scale to make sure it has not moved and of course many other things I do for safety that are just common since.

Now for those who can't buy the right ammo for their guns, I don't know what to say except "STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES".
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Years ago, when I was in the Army, our post had a range that soldiers could use for thier personal weapons. The Glock was fairly new at the time, they only sold the 17 and 19 models (or so we thought) . Met a young Army Ranger on the range one day, he was having trouble with his new Glock, seems the ammo wouldn't stay in the magazine. After watching him struggle for about 1/2 an hour I offered to help, he hands me a magazine and a box of ammo. Mag said .45acp right on the side, ammo was 9mm. Upon further examination the pistol was in fact a .45, he had just walked into a gun shop and asked to buy a Glock,the shop owner handed him the gun he pointed to (a Glock model 21) , then he asked to buy a box of 9mm ammo, the shop owner happily complied, never imagining that the kid would try to use the ammo in the gun he just bought.

A friend, self proclaimed been there done that type, who has three safes of guns and did multiple tours over a dozen years in the Sandbox came up to me a couple of weeks ago in the local watering hole estatic that he had just "scored" three boxes of 338 in Sportsmans Warehouse and abou 1/3 of what he usually pays, even though he is an avid reloader.
    Fast forward a week and he taps me on the shoulder and says, hey remember that good deal I got on those 338's? Well their not 338 magnum there 338 Federal, whats that. Roll eyes. I told him I guess you will now just have to go out and buy a new gun!

Then there were the three amigos sitting at the bench next to me a few months ago shooting a Marlin lever action in 30-30 and a revolver.
    Of course one puts a 38 Special in the Marlin and ends up ventilating the barrel with 4 three inch splits a couple of inches from the end of the barrel.