Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos

Default Tattoos

I need a little help and advice. Many may remember that my family is planning to make the move ASAP. I'm trying to make the decision if I want to stay in the tattoo industry. Please take a look at my site and tell me how you would think that I would fair compaired to the shops and artist there in anchorage. http://www.uniqueinktattoo.com/portfolio.shtml

Where do you think a shop would be successful and might be needed? Any insights or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Tom

I'm no expert, but I don't think SC is anything special compared to the rest of the country. My girlfriend has one from a place "outside Palmer" and I think it's marginal. Maybe because it was her design, but the shading doesn't look too good to me. I may have lied just a bit when she asked how it looked

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    I'm no expert, but I don't think SC is anything special compared to the rest of the country. My girlfriend has one from a place "outside Palmer" and I think it's marginal. Maybe because it was her design, but the shading doesn't look too good to me. I may have lied just a bit when she asked how it looked
    So did you look at my portfolio? How would you say it compares to other work that you have seen that was done there? Do you have any thoughts on where there is a need or room for another shop?

We were out checking out shops this weekend as the old lady wanted to get her septum pierced while we're in town; your work is good and definitely on par with local stuff. Midtown seems to be pretty well covered; Muldoon, maybe? Lots of people and businesses moving out there- close to bases, too.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I did look at your gallery and you do quality work. Whether it's equal to or better, I just can't say cause my knowledge is limited. I have a few friends that have tattoos and some were done outside while on vacation. Maybe that says something for the quality in Anchorage and surrounding areas I don't know! All I can say is the one I see every night doesn't do anything for me...and unfortunately it isn't small!

With your experience, finding a chair in a local shop shouldn't be too hard. After feeling out the area, you find the market saturated and well serviced, I'm sure you can find work elsewhere. Don't let the tattoo business be your deciding factor in making the move!

There does seem to be a high number of shops in Anchorage, but Eagle River might be an option. I think there may be one in town, but the bases are close and it's close to everything.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i don't have one... never found someone i like well enough to stick me.. but have been looking at them for years with a few in mind...

but then i love asking my friends NOW that got them ... then...

especially the ladies...

how come you put that blue bird/ flower/ butterfly... where your breast used to be?

or

isn't that supposed to be ABOVE your belt?

nice work tboe.. you should do okay... if nothing else i can rent you some space in fairbanks... my office used to be a tattoo shop... half my clients have been in my office long before they met me, and folks still come by looking for them..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Tattoos are as popular here as anywhere else and your work looks good Tom. If your goal is to open a shop up here then I would suggest marketing to get your name out there.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

There is already one shop in Eagle River and I hear they do good work, but haven't looked at it personally. Anchorage has a number of shops as well, but with a population of 300,000, I would think that another shop would do fine if they offered quality work.

There are a number of shops in the south central area but I have heard that few of them are great shops. With the number of people wanting tatts or piercings seemingly on the rise I would think you could have a blossoming shop in the Muldoon area of Anchorage or Eagle River not to mention Fairbanks.

I am not an expert but do have a large number of friends that are into getting inked and most are willing to get on a waiting list for quality work if that tells you anything. From looking at your portfolio I am thinking you would have people lined up at your door in short order.

Good luck with the move!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    All I can say is the one I see every night doesn't do anything for me...and unfortunately it isn't small!
    Bummer...but I'm not gonna lie, I kinda laughed when I read that

Is it something we can judge? J/K!!!

There are alot of tattoo shops in Anchorage so there will be more competition there are also alot more people in that area as well so who knows. In Fairbanks there are only 3 shops that I know of and only one of them that I know of does quality work I wont say any names on here but IF you want pm me and I will give you the links to their web sites so you can compare your work to theirs.

I thought your portfolio looked great. I bet you would do good here. I agree that east anchorage or eagle river would be a good bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    There is already one shop in Eagle River and I hear they do good work, but haven't looked at it personally. Anchorage has a number of shops as well, but with a population of 300,000, I would think that another shop would do fine if they offered quality work.
    The local Eagle River shop is owned by an artist that worked for Larry Allen in Anchorage. Lot's of followers already, great work. My wife got two from her (nothing that can't be displayed in church). That said, there is an increasing military population in Eagle River as well as the Valley. I would avoid Anchorage as it is a declining town that is already saturated in tatoo industry.

I'm wondering if the Muldoon idea might be the way to go? I run my shop a little different than most being a retired Marine. CLEAN, no drugs, Fair and no drama or BS that most shops have. I will end up looking for a couple of quality artist to jump ship so Muldoon would be to far for them to travel. Eagle river might be nice but the population of the area seems on the lower side and the cost of living in that area is much higher from my understanding which would tranlate to commerical rentals as well. My wife will be working with the VA which should have her working in achorage, I think. We don't want to live in the city and Palmer seems just a little far. I was thinking of looking for something in peters creek as a happy medium.

Well, there are 12 shops advertising in the anchorage and surrounding area yellow pages. As in everything else, a reputatiion for quality work will definitely go a long way. With your stuff, you would have a good chance at making it work. That's about it since I don't have any myself, I'm afraid of where it would end up as I get older.

Hi my name is Mike, Im a pro tattooist myself. I live in NY and Ive run my own shop for 8 years, I consider my work decent but I think your work is on a level above mine. You can check me out and friend me on facebook "tatt fx 10980''. Im an avid outdoorsman as well and my dream is to live in AK someday myself. Tried to send you a PM but it wouldnt let me.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    My wife will be working with the VA which should have her working in achorage, I think. We don't want to live in the city and Palmer seems just a little far. I was thinking of looking for something in peters creek as a happy medium.
    If your wife is with VA then she will more than likely be on Muldoon right outside Elmendorf Airbase. They just built a new facility there which is very nice and getting good reviews from most folks.

On a side note Peters Creek is a nice area.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I will end up looking for a couple of quality artist to jump ship so Muldoon would be to far for them to travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    My wife got two from her (nothing that can't be displayed in church).
    Hey tboehm, I don't have an artistic bone in my body but (hehehe) if you need a dependable shop boy to do the prep work I'm at your service

Your best bet would be if you are moving up here contact some shops here, send your work up to them if they may have a chair open work something out. Meaning set some work up before you get here if possible and then get a feel of the general area on the needs of your trade. Do your home work get settled with some cash flow and see what will work for you..

Course if you don't need to work and you have plenty of money then this does not apply.
    Regards

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by NY2AK View Post
    Hi my name is Mike, Im a pro tattooist myself. I live in NY and Ive run my own shop for 8 years, I consider my work decent but I think your work is on a level above mine. You can check me out and friend me on facebook "tatt fx 10980''. Im an avid outdoorsman as well and my dream is to live in AK someday myself. Tried to send you a PM but it wouldnt let me.
    To the OP, dont know if you actually read my post here, but I just realized I wrote the wrong FB account, its actually "Tatt FX Stony Point", stop by somtime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast