Thread: Haul road boat launches this year?

Default Haul road boat launches this year?

I'm getting ready to head north this week with the boat and was wondering what boat launches on the sag are usuable this year, I had heard last year that some had been closed. Thanks for any information.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

It's really surprising me how much later people are heading up the river over the last couple of years. I saw 20 trucks at the 50 mile launch yesterday heading back to Prudhoe. Probably about 6 boat trailers, but I didn't drive down there to see. I talked to one airboater on the road, and he had a difficult time off loading with the low water, and said it had come down even more since he had put his boat in the water. When I headed south on Saturday, I did drive down there and the water was pretty dang low. I wouldn't like running it right now, especially with how cold it was getting at night and the possibility of ice.

Not sure of any launches that are closed. Are you motoring around on the Sag to bowhunt, or are you planning on heading up the 'Shak? What type of boat are you running?

Thanks Jerod,

Good information to have. I'll be headed up the Ivishak with my 18' Jon boat.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

I was there two days ago with 5 others. One of my friends borrowed the same boat with a jet drive from one of his friends. We ran the river several times shuttling gear and men so we were pretty heavy most of the time. I am not sure what HP the engine was, but I wish we had more to stay up on top of the water. From the launch site to the main body of the river, (I think about a mile and a half) We had to get out and pull the boat a half dozen times. After that it was smooth sailing. One trip heading back to the launch point we had three 200lb+ guys, meat from 7 medium sized caribou and 3 packs, we had to walk the last mile, but we where no where near stuck. I do not think it will be too bad. Happy hunting, let us know how it goes.

Where does everyone put in at and does the Sag run into the shak. What is the best time for most years to run it thanks Chris

I just got back from the Haul Road. There weren't many caribou at all and a guy I ran into said he spoke with an outfitter with 70 North or something like that at Happy Valley. He told him that he was no longer flying anyone up the Ivashak cause there were zero caribou up there.