Thread: How early (part 2)

Default How early (part 2)

How early (in the season) have you been able to call in moose, and with what type of call?

I don't vocalize until mid September, but I do some brush breaking and thrashing early on, which has had some positive results in the past.

When I do use vocalization, I mostly stick to bull grunts (though I have used the old coffee can/string method in the past, but not with much success).

I've had cow calls coupled with bull grunts and scraping work as early as Sept 10th. I've had plain old scraping work as early as Sep 5th.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Anywhere from the 3rd to the 7th
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i can call one in any day of the year with my special patented...

HEEEERRRRE MOOOOOSSIE MOOOOOOOOSY! call... some times it takes them longer then others to show up.... just like any calling...

once it took almost 2 months to have one come back into the yard... but trot in they did... and you just never know where one will find you after giving the call... let one out in the yard yesterday morning... and BOOM there was 2 of them standing in the ditch on my way to the office....

eerie i tell ya eerie.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I think the unwritten rule is to wait 3 days. You don't want to seem "needy"

Always a coupla smart *****es out there.

I think the first 10 years I hunted the season was Aug. 20-Sept. 20. We always hunted opening day (school use to start after Labor Day so we went prior to school/college starting) and we weren't even close to the rut so we never tried to call.

When we began hunting Labor Day weekend and the week after we tried love sick cow calls, bull grunts raking the brush with a stick and actually got calls back, but we have never successfully called one right into us.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    How early (in the season) have you been able to call in moose, and with what type of call?....
    I had a bull respond (came within 50 yards) to scraping and grunts on the Friday before Labor Day last year (you'll have to look up the actual date). I think that was an unusual occurrence. Normally I'd say anytime after the 7th of September bull grunts may get a response. Our season ends on the 15th of September before the cows begin calling in earnest.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.