Thread: boyeson reeds 150 merc carburetor

Default boyeson reeds 150 merc carburetor

has any one out there switched to boyesen reeds on ther outboard? are they all they say they are. how much more fule savings did you get out of them? thanks

I have been wondering about these for a while as well. They have been around for a long time, I remember putting a set in my old 2 cycle dirt bikes back in the early 90's and they weren't exactly a new company even then.

Boyesen doesn't make one for my motor but I think CCMS does. I just shot them an email to find out and hopefully get a price. The biggest reason I am thinking about switching is that the after market reeds are stronger and less likely to come appart and get inhaled by the motor when I am way down some river. That said better fuel economy and a quicker hole shot would also be welcome!

The idea of putting fiberglass reeds on a outboard motor sounds good but, these are fiberglass and do break and it wont trash the engine. However you will notice better throttle responce, but they do break and have a short life. I dont think the limited service life is worth the expense. I have seen very few large outboards in 30 years of fixing outboards eat reeds. If you want to save fuel make sure your boat is proped right, dont overload it and get a flow meter to check your motor at different rpm settings to get the best economy.

I've got a set of Boyesen two stage merc 150 HP reeds retrofitted into 1991 Force 150. They are almost identical. Boyesen did not make them for the Force engines at the time. I worked with their R&D team to get a set working for the force engines. The force steel reeds were prone to breaking and when they do it is catastrophic. crank pistons bearings all done...

They are hands down better than any stock SS reed petal. Especially the dual stage. The idle and low speed cruising is much better. Top end it is hard to tell but I have not broke one in the 5 years I've had them installed.

I have an extra set if you want to check them out... Not sure if they are an exact match for your engine though.

Larry Mentzel