Thread: Been a few years . . . finally a trout

Default Been a few years . . . finally a trout

Been a few years since I went after trout with my fly rod. Pulled my gear out of its case, and after changing lines, I hit some water off the Richardson in a float tube and managed a dozen foot long beauties and this really pretty one - all on wooly buggers of varying sizes and patterns. I forgot how much fun trout can be with all their acrobatics.

Kept a couple for a butter/bacon grease bath -- they were delicious -- just like I remember.

Regards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010 08 29.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	38315

Quote Originally Posted by kylemac View Post
    Kept a couple for a butter/bacon grease bath -- they were delicious -- just like I remember.

Hehe. Just kidding... I think you'll find most of us are Catch and Release only though.

I'm also catch & release....Though I've keep some smaller 12" fish for eating once in a blue moon.

Nice catch.
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping some trout for dinner, especially since many of the roadside fisheries are stocked by hatchery fish for that very purpose. Nicely done, and I'm sure they tasted great.

Nice fish. I agree with Brian, if the fish are hatchery and stocked then keeping a couple isn't that bad. I don't keep trout because I am normally fishing the Kenai/Russian/or Parks. The thing that did kind of bother me is when I was at the Russian and saw someone land a limit of reds, then pitch some flesh by the cleaning tables and keep a little trout too. I mean really, you just got some salmon fillets,just my opinion. If people want some small trout for dinner hit up the stocked lakes. Sorry, rant over.

Congrats on your ethics and assumptions . . .

Been a few years since I chased trout -- that's all . . . not since I fished. Just thought I'd pass along my enjoyment in their pursuit and harvest and enjoyment of only two of the dozen stockers I landed. I probably should have went barbless as well though . . .

Regards, Brian.

Like I said, I was just kidding... I've kept a couple fish in my time as well for the dinner plate, but am also a devout catch and release-er... All is said in jest ;-)

Like most on this thread I have no problem keeping some trout for the grill if they are stocked etc... One thing I do hate though is my brother who loves to keep the big ones even if he already has one for his plate so that he can go home and show it off to the rest of the family. In my opinion the big ones should be enjoyed and respectively released for someone else to have the fun of catching them (feel the same about Halibut). If you are really the bragging type then take a camera with you and get a picture.

Also hate it when some are kept for eating and then never cooked up and end up tossed out.

I'll bonk a trout. Bacon, fresh trout, some grits, and some fruit....perfect breakfast.

Congrats on catching (and bonking) some trout with the fly rod.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

What is it Hippie said once, "catch and release in bacon grease"?

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Congrats on a great day kylemac!!!
    I just recently caught the fever again after years away... Just need time to go play.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."