Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me into the new iPhone4

Default Talk me into the new iPhone4

So, I've never heard someone up here say, "Gee Wiz, I get great coverage and customer service from AT&T!" I have been with ACS for a number of years, and always get awesome customer service at the Eagle River store. The coverage seems to be great in comparison to my wifes's GCI.
    I currently have the Casio ROK phone, necessary after dunking the RAZOR in the Kenai last year, and really like the waterproof/shockproof aspects, but I really find that I need to be connected to my emails better than I currently am.
    I have also been an avid apple user for awhile, and find their apps very useful and fun on my iTouch.
    I'm not sold on the Android. My dad and sister have one, and they have had a bunch of issues with missed calls, and not so friendly operating instructions.

Chime in Please
    Colby Jack

It really depends on what you need or want it for. The network isn't as good as some but it works in the areas that I use it so hard for me to complain about that. I use it for work and I can get a surprising amount done from it in my realm. It is great to be able to take a customer call and them not be able to tell that I am sitting in my truck outside walmart instead of in a call center somewhere in the states! I have instant access to my other techs via instant messenger and the forum aps rock on the iPhone. I am currently using an android phone over seas and I am not thrilled with it. It seems much less user friendly to me. It actually has a key pad but it is harder for me to opperate than the iphone touch screen for texting.

All in all they are spendy and so is the data package so it is hard to talk someone into getting one not knowing their finances. You can certainly live without it. That said I really like mine and use it a ton. I am very data dependant and it is the best way I have found to stay plugged in and still be freely mobile. I even used it while hunting in concert w/ a laptop and GCI wireless air card. I have actually sat down in the woods fired up the laptop and fixed a clients computer problem, they certainly thought I was sitting at a desk in an office somewhere. Dang nice to get "on call" pay and still be able to go hunting!!!!!

Had an iphone 3G for a couple of years. All over the northern hemisphere with it and it worked perfectly. Upgraded to a 4. Love it. Faster, smarter, better camera, better battery, etc. I had ACS for years. Still do for some stuff, but not my own cell. I love my iphone and ATT has been excellent both for coverage and customer service. To upgrade to the 4 meant signing a new 2 year contract extension. I never hesitated.

So far I am really enjoying the 4. The ability to talk on the phone and then surf the email/web/contacts/whatever to answer questions or get information while talking to someone has been handy.

What sold it for me was the HD video. I had been looking pretty strongly at Kodaks new handheld HD recorder and for the same price as the Kodak, I re-upped my plan through AT&T and got the iPhone 4. Pics and vids of the kids, geocaching with the GPS function, its a pretty sweet unit.

If you let the camera focus, it takes pretty good still shots as well

I'm with Hunt and Pid, but I think the big seller for me was the camera/video camera. Since I have got mine, I don't even think I have even opened my lap top? Everything is done from the phone. Lol.

These were all done with the phone and a couple of apps.

Last edited by WaterWolf; 08-30-2010 at 09:50. Reason: Had to resize picture/to big!
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Yep, tons of free photo-editing apps as well.

I've got Rotate Mojo, Format126, and PhotodLite (or something like that) to play with. Each one does one a bit different. The photobucket app is also very nice.

Shooting videos and instantly emailing them is a hoot, too. It works so easily even I can do it!

Another pseudo macro...

But how does it work as a phone? I've heard very mixed reviews on this aspect- people rave about the apps and the camera and the gadgets, but when you ask about phone service, they kind of want to change the subject. Also, I've heard very different reviews on AT&T between here and Outside- actually, the service gets better reviews here than it does elsewhere. TIA for the feedback.

Mine is was better than any LG or Motorola I had with ACS. Travel coverage has been seamless for me. I've never looked back.

I have pretty good coverage in Valley/Anc, Seem to have good coverage the few times I have taken it to the FBX area. Good in Delta, have made calls from out Petersville road though coverage is spotty (a hill helps). I have the 3GS version and it seems to have a decent radio in it. A weird thing about an older AT&T Nokia bar phone is I frequently couldn't make calls despite having nearly full bars. I believe that was because the phone had good signal from the repeater but didn't have the spunk to toss it's own data back the other way. The Iphone seems to have an at least average radio in it, I have made calls from the end of Kinik River Road (and further). The 4G was said to have problems when it was first released w/ dropped calls but I believe they have that fixed now. ACS seems to have better coverage between the population centers than AT&T.

I'm not sold that ACS has better coverage, but thats just me.

My iPhone seems to work just fine as far as service is concerned. Soldotna to Cantwell, the only places that I don't get service is where I didn't get service with my Motorola Rzr....

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I'm not sold that ACS has better coverage, but thats just me.
    Depends on the area. ATT is mostly worthless in the Sound, whereas ACS gets pretty decent coverage out there. We've tested it with multiple different phones on both networks, and ACS is hands down better out there. The same is true in my neighborhood. My wife talked me into staying with ATT when we recently renewed, and I instantly regretted it.

I celebrate the fact that I regularly go where cell phones don't work. That's a good thing to me. My iPhone works in the places where I need a phone. It gets turned off when I go remote. Cell coverage when boating or flying is for suits in the states.

The only problem I had with my cell covorage was when a tower was down for repairs. Other then that it works a lot better then my last two providers which were MTA and ACS. While I was on the phone with the ATT suport we got to talking and right now ATT has the big push is to put more towers on the slope, followed by the Kenia and then Pt. MaKennzie (New Prison and development).

This might not benefit you but all my family is down in the lower 48, and they all have ATT. Which means I talk to them free (well not free but not charged minutes). Plus I have th A-list I thinks called which allows me to add ten freinds or family numbers that are cell/home with no charge also.

I guess ya can kinda say not only is my lap top no good to me anymore, I guess I haven't picked up the home phone in a month either.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

ATT has a new tower in Valdez. But its still laying on the ground. It suppose to be up late this summer. But who knows. Once it goes up, I may upgrade my 3G to the 4.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Colby Jack View Post
    So, I've never heard someone up here say, "Gee Wiz, I get great coverage and customer service from AT&T!" I have been with ACS for a number of years, and always get awesome customer service at the Eagle River store. The coverage seems to be great in comparison to my wifes's GCI.
    I currently have the Casio ROK phone, necessary after dunking the RAZOR in the Kenai last year, and really like the waterproof/shockproof aspects, but I really find that I need to be connected to my emails better than I currently am.
    I have also been an avid apple user for awhile, and find their apps very useful and fun on my iTouch.
    I'm not sold on the Android. My dad and sister have one, and they have had a bunch of issues with missed calls, and not so friendly operating instructions.

Chime in Please
    Colby Jack
    well i would wait a bit, i know several folks that have had theirs recalled, as the ONLY button on it fails.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Apps like Topo Map sure work better on my new phone. The GPS locator is way fast and toggling between topo format and Google Earth is really quick, too. In fact I can switch from topo to satellite or hybrid in about 2 seconds. I bought Offline Topo as well and I'll test both map apps outside of the service area this weekend. I'll take a Rino to check things against, but having the satellite view with the GPS locator on the phone is pretty cool. If I get bored on the trail I can always take a break and play Tiger Woods Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by ANCguy View Post
    But how does it work as a phone? I've heard very mixed reviews on this aspect- people rave about the apps and the camera and the gadgets, but when you ask about phone service, they kind of want to change the subject. Also, I've heard very different reviews on AT&T between here and Outside- actually, the service gets better reviews here than it does elsewhere. TIA for the feedback.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about! I agree that my intent is not to be talking to a customer while dodging scree in the Wrangels... I only want to have an uninterupted phone call on the Palmer flats or going through Turnagin Pass.

Those are amazing pics submitted by the way-- state fair quality!!!lol.

Thanks for the responses, and keep them coming.

Colby Jack

I would choose an Android phone over an icrap any day. With ACS I'm constantly getting 1.5 meg data speeds when friends with iphones can't even make voice calls. Last week in Valdez I was using the gps with google earth out on the water and att phone had no coverage.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast