Thread: how often to you practice

Default how often to you practice

Just curious about how often everyone shoots I shoot for about 45 to an hour a day in the summer and drop off in the winter months to maybe 1 -2 hours a week.

I am new to it - relatively - but I try to shoot at least two quick sessions a week in the yard. I only shoot about 50 arrows. I try to practice my fundamentals, keep a pretty good pace and shoot from a variety of distances and I am done after about 30-45 minutes. I can't focus much more after that -- probably old age.
    But I think that is enough to continue to get me more proficient and allow me to tend to the other demands we all have.

I've been shooting since I was a kid, so the muscle memory makes hitting a decent group more about bowtuning etc. than form, but what I mostly practice for is for the enjoyment of it and building up the muscles for the hunt, so if I have to hold it that I don't pooch the shot. In winter I have nowhere to shoot but in mid summer I shoot 3-4 days a week once I get my fingers tuned up with the callouses....30-50 shafts per time, then more so in the weeks leading up to the actual hunt. Back in Wisco as a kid and teenager it was all about target shooting all winter indoors, then 3D and pass through broadhead leagues in the summer, and hunting in the fall. Out in the bush it's a big foam target in the backyard....repeatedly....and the random bold red squirrel that scolds me with a safe backstop behind it.

Almost daily, I have a 10 target course set up in the back yard that is challanging and esy to switch up so I never come close to being bored with it.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Almost daily, I have a 10 target course set up in the back yard that is challanging and esy to switch up so I never come close to being bored with it.
    Rick,

Do you have any pictures of your course? I have been thinking about having some guys over for a bow shoot sometime in the next few weeks. My thoughts were to have some shooting games and have the guys (and gals) bring their practice broadheads for others to try out. It is pretty expensive to try every broadhead out there and I thought this might be a way to try some different brands.

Anyway, sorry to highjack the thread, but I am curious how your range is set up.

Thanks.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    Just curious about how often everyone shoots I shoot for about 45 to an hour a day in the summer and drop off in the winter months to maybe 1 -2 hours a week.
    Wiso, you need to practice a whole lot more than that... I've heard some of your bowhunting stories!!!

Well I would love to shoot more and with other people, but......... and the grizzly mishap was an opps, the shot was good but the branch was in the way, end result was a quick kill, even though the arrow hit the bears ankle.

I shoot almost everyday, but its a hobby and a means to exercise my back. I like to shoot about 250-300 arrows a week. I would guess that to be way more than nessary for hunting.

I practice every night for half hour to an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    Well I would love to shoot more and with other people, but......... and the grizzly mishap was an opps, the shot was good but the branch was in the way, end result was a quick kill, even though the arrow hit the bears ankle.
    and the moose

4491483485_976d1bb879_b.jpg4619222239_a3f9a3df96_b.jpg

Paul my course cost me exactly a days work hauling bales of hay and stuffing burlap bags. Let me see if I can find a pic. Shooting games can be a blast, if done safely. I have 10 bale stacks most of wich have targets on both sides, so we shoot a course up the hill then back down. One infamous target has been dubbed "the window" because of the tight brush around it. Make the 4 inch window and your good, miss and I hope you brought gloves cause your in the devils club. I have an elivated blind and two shots from logs. One half way across our stream the other about 4 feet in the air.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

4492108222_7c45d0e7e8_b.jpg One of the elivated blind. 4485398225_54cbb6f32f_b.jpg Gunther had a blast helping out.
    BHA Member

Rick sweet looking course, and the moose target is so life like (hahaha), will definately have to work on mine a bit will make it so much more enjoyable and fun to shoot

Poking holes in a target up the drivway can get tedious! By having mine at verying distances elivations and angles it keeps the course fresh. You can always change the points you shoot from and in general I think my course is an excellent representation of real hunting.
    BHA Member