Thread: Kenai vs Russian

Default Kenai vs Russian

Heading down to Clam Gulch to stay with some friends for a couple days. I am wondering which river is better to hit up right now while I am down there. No boat, but willing to hike for good fishing. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I would be willing to bet that Quartz Creek is gettin' pretty fishy right about now.

I would think Russian would be easier if you're just on foot. Easier access, IMO.
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Did the Russian Friday. Plenty of trout and dollies in the deeper water, below the Grayling steps (week before I swear they were higher up). Was kind of hard to fish because there were thousands and thousands of reds in the way and more bears than usual.

Drifted the Kenai Saturday, also tons of fish. On average they were smaller and it took a boat.

Saw one silver caught in the Russian friday, and a lot of people fishing for them on the Kenai on Saturday, but I didn't hear the results.

Russian is easy as pie to walk and usually to fish, but man, many bears. One's a sow with three cubs. And you're gonna lose tackle to those zombie reds.

Depends on if you'd like to walk or catch a ride on a boat. We fished the Kenai last weekend (lower Kenai) and caught 1 bright silver, several pinks, and a few spawned out reds. BUT, 2 of us also hooked into HUGE kings that were very blushed and were tough to get off the bottom. I'd estimate both kings were 60 pounds plus. Biggest salmon I've seen in AK yet!

I would slide down to the Anchor river for some dollies, silvers and some bright steel. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

I fished the Middle River on Wednesday, the Canyon on Thursday, Anchor on Friday, and Quartz on Saturday. All were awesome. If I had to do it over again and pick one. I would fish the Anchor or the Kenai at the Russian river confluence. Anyway you go it will be very fishy. It depends on what kind of driving time you have.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    I would slide down to the Anchor river for some dollies, silvers and some bright steel. Tight lines.
    Thinkin the same...
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

i was on the quartz today didn't see more than 5 reds in the creek and no bows or dollies. So i went to the russian and saw several really nice rainbows but couldn't get them to hit anything. Found the bear and three cubs right around the Red Salmon stairs.

Yeah, I was at Quartz today, too, and saw only a handful also. Just my $.02
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan