Thread: Coastal GA coming to fish Valdez

Default Coastal GA coming to fish Valdez

Alright guys, we're coming from GA to visit our friends in Anchorage this week. We're going to spend a day or two in Valdez. Got the boat rented and have been reading all of the posts I can on catching silvers. We can't wait to put some of our kingfish (king mackeral) tactics on these guys. It sounds pretty similiar with find bait, downrigging, etc. Do you guys sabiki for herring and use them live or just cut? I've read about using t-spoons, hoochies, mooching rigs, etc. Those are new to me, so we'll have to learn quick. Are there any good just general rig setups for the silvers? It sounds like a skirted bait 3' behind a silver flasher is a standard. Maybe we'll have some new tactics to take back to the GA kingfish!

Allison Point, Gold Creek, Galena Bay are a few that I have seen mentioned on the forum. Are there any places in particular that everyone knows about that we should try?

Also, any suggestions on spots for catchin halibut out of Valdez? I'd be tickled just to catch a "chicken" halibut. Your chickens would swallow our flounder whole.

Thanks for any help or information. We'll be the ones with the funny accents in town.

Will
    Coastal GA

To me you won't have a funny accent. Since I am fron North Florida.

Does the boat have downriggers? I find it easier to use the deep six planer, about 2 feet of leader, dodger, 2 feet mooching rig with a plastic squid over it. I just buy a pack of herring cut the head off and troll it like a cigar minnow. But you want to slow troll it like a live bait. But you don't have to bump it. Unless you have a fast trolling boat like my whaler.

Thanks for the help FS! Glad to hear from a neighbor. It sounds alot like trollings for kings, just different rigs. We'll see what we can do and post some pics of the results.

Will

It`s alot like trolling for Kingfish but much slower...3mph being the upper speed limit...my comfort speed range is 2.4-2.8mph. I like to use 40# mono to handle more abrasion and run about 3' from dodger to hooch, fly, spoon, or herring rig. The waters within 10 miles of the harbor are pretty gray and it requires a bit more flash so think chrome/chartruese/green.

Outside the bay you can work any of the points w/salmon gear to find rockfish...just like fishing for grouper or snapper. Fish in 60' or less if you plan to release rockfish as they can die from swim blatter damage...just like alot of grouper species. Step the gear up a notch and you can try for halibut outside of Jack Bay and beyond. Keep some herring on 1 rig and jig with others. This isn`t speed jigging here and actually alot of hits will come on the fall or during a pause. Always stay in contact with the bottom 6' or your not in the zone.

If you look up the correct chart in the link you can get a rough idea of where there are pinnacles and even humps where halibut like to hide.
    http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/BookletC...kletCharts.htm

Good luck and report back.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff