Thread: Crimped Loads

Default Crimped Loads

Will going from crimped bullets to non crimped bullets effect accuracy. The bullets are being shot out of a bolt action rifle so a crimp is not needed. I have worked up a good load and sighted my rifle in today. When I went to load some more ammo tonight I noticed they were getting crimped and before thinking I adjusted my die and reloaded a box of ammo. So now I'm wondering if my accuracy will change. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    Will going from crimped bullets to non crimped bullets effect accuracy. The bullets are being shot out of a bolt action rifle so a crimp is not needed. I have worked up a good load and sighted my rifle in today. When I went to load some more ammo tonight I noticed they were getting crimped and before thinking I adjusted my die and reloaded a box of ammo. So now I'm wondering if my accuracy will change. Thanks for the help.
    Normally a bullet seating die will place a roll crimp. A roll crimp is designed to use a cannelure on the bullet to maintain proper tolerances in the neck. This means that the ammo you have loaded may or may not chamber, depending upon a host of factors.

As for the specific question, I'd say that too is dependent upon several factors but the proof is in the pudding. Give them a try and relate the results to us when you do. My suspicions, so long as the ammo chambers, is that the affects will be minimal to your accuracy. I use a Lee Factory Crimp die and have had good to excellent results in a variety of cartridges, with accuracy frequently improving by measurable margins. Roll crimps tend to be more temperamental and I normally shun their use. YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.