Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS boat

Default PWS boat

ideal boat for shrimp pots,deer hunting,silvers,roust about. Looking for a cheap no frills boat to play with in whittier. Looking for advice

Seward 0 - 10 005.jpgSomewhere in the something or other million range, put a blue a frame over that dingy and your styling, call it a house boat!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    Seward 0 - 10 005.jpgSomewhere in the something or other million range, put a blue a frame over that dingy and your styling, call it a house boat!
    Mike
    That's my boat!!!! The Strider........I wish. Nice rig. That was the boat they used as base camp when they filmed the show "Icy Killers: the Salmon Shark"

Quote Originally Posted by otterpants747 View Post
    ideal boat for shrimp pots,deer hunting,silvers,roust about. Looking for a cheap no frills boat to play with in whittier. Looking for advice
    Unfortunately, even with lots of money there isn't a boat that is good for everything. And it sounds like you want one for everything. A cheap, no frills boat (whatever that price is) isn't going to do any of those things well. In fact, what is a cheap boat? Why don't you give us a price range?

that is easy - it is the boat just before the boat you now have

Mike

I love that boat! Everytime I'm in Seward it seems to be sitting there, unused. Nice boat for sure

If only I had a few extra million laying around

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by otterpants747 View Post
    I know what your intentions are, but that is kind of a loaded question... The perfect boat is the one that everybody has. What one guy likes the others don't. If you were to get a 22-24 foot Aluminum boat with some type of cabin, you will probably be fine. You could land it on the beach if need be and not worry about it. I would find a v bottom haul if all you are looking at is Whittier. I was out there last week with a 19 foot Jetcraft and felt good about it with the weather we had. Not sure if I would go to knight island with it though... Just be conscious of the weather and be safe...

Cheap Boat No such thing ..On the other hand something to play with..
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/sear...oat&srchType=A
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1912318482.html

+1 TRBaure said..
    Last edited by SusitnaAk; 08-30-2010 at 07:36. Reason: more

The best compromise I could find and did purchase was a 22' Fish Rite Explorer with a camper top ( full length canvas top ), 285hp inboard jet semi "V" aluminum hull. The side storage benches fold down into a bed. The boat handles typical PWS weather on the side of sanity, 2-3 ft seas rather well. This set up also allows inland water travel at will.

There are are several similar designs out there. Have fun making a choice, oh, if you have no wish to travel the inland waters I strongly suggest you go with a propeller driven boat as they are far easier to handle at slow speeds on those crappy water conditions days.

This Marian seemed to me to be a versatile compromise boat...20 FT. HUNTING/FISHING BOAT - $11000 (CHUGIAK)...on craigslist. Includes prop and jet lower units. semi v bow and a flat aft for planing. Just takes some cash which is why it's not sitting in my driveway...lol

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

That's the "Fourty-Niner" out of Seward. I see it out fishing fairly often...usually around Fox Island and the Pony Cove, Cheval Island areas. One sweet ride!!!

I see the Fourty Niner every time I go out of Seward it seems like. Awesome boat. Not a type of boat you see in Alaska too often.

The most economical, easy to use and versitile boat is, and always will be, your buddies boat.

What type of person are you? Infatables will do it all, but until you spend lot's of money, it won't be comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    This Marian seemed to me to be a versatile compromise boat...20 FT. HUNTING/FISHING BOAT - $11000 (CHUGIAK)...on craigslist. Includes prop and jet lower units. semi v bow and a flat aft for planing. Just takes some cash which is why it's not sitting in my driveway...lol
    I went and looked at this boat and it is very nice and clean for the year, if I hadn't scored the deal on the boat in my avatar I may have this one instead. The only thing I was leary about is the motor being an 89 as well, but it looked to be in good shape...Ben at Silver Streak did the work on it.., Get survey done and then it is finance time...

I will third the aluminum boat with cabin, but it has to have the fully enclosed bow. Its the safest way to go.

I would consider buying a used bowpicker from a commercial fisherman that is getting out of the game. Those boats are fast, relatively economical, have a cabin, plenty of deck space, and can handle some serious weather. A member on here has such a setup for his pleasure boat, and I think he's on to something.

Those of you who recognise the dream boat as the "49er" are correct. We fished the Pony, Cheval region a month ago when he was out. I'd swear, when he gave er a little throttle to make a small correction, he actually blew a few silvers over our way.

Getting back to the chap in need. Go to craigs list, type in 27 foot jepson shrimper. What pops up is a boat made by jefferson fiberglass co out of La. THe price is right, got some style and while it's a glass boat (which I prefer) you got a lot of relatively cheep recreating going on here.
    Mike

Getting back to the chap in need. Go to craigs list, type in 27 foot jepson shrimper. What pops up is a boat made by jefferson fiberglass co out of La. THe price is right, got some style and while it's a glass boat (which I prefer) you got a lot of relatively cheep recreating going on here.
    Mike
    This jobbie right here: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1909597058.html

Looks like it doesnt suck, IMO $15K is a good deal for a diesel boat w/ 550 hours on the motor.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Hey thanks for the advice folks good bit o brain food

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast