View Poll Results: When have you gotten your moose?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4:00am-8:00am

24 22.02%
  • 8:00am-12:00am

35 32.11%
  • 12:00am-4:00pm

18 16.51%
  • 4:00pm-8:00pm

29 26.61%
  • 8:00pm-12:00pm

23 21.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How early?

Default How early?

How worth it is it to get up at 5 in the friggin morning? When in the day have you nailed your moose? Explain.

Last year, we saw a LOT moving around between 8:00am to noon. We tracked one for about one hour at 3:00pm and lost him because we swamped a four wheeler. The next day we got one at 2:00pm.

Also the year before, we barely missed one crossing the swamp at about noon. We would've got him but it would have been a totally unsafe shot to make (past the boat driver's head).

So who swears by getting up freakishly early? I seem to see a lot of people have success later on in the day, as well as my personal experience.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Iím assuming you meant 12 pm to 4 pm not 12 am to 4 pm ?
    And 8 am to 12 pm or were the lager windows intentional?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i hit every one, but i would sat that at least 70 percent of my moose have been with in the last hour of daylight, of the remaining 30 percent nearly 20 have been early am and the rest spread throughout the day.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

"Iím assuming you meant 12 pm to 4 pm not 12 am to 4 pm ?
    And 8 am to 12 pm or were the lager windows intentional?"

You know what I meant
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

We saw more moose in the late evening than we did early in the morning last year.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

If you are going to be in the same area for two or three days, if won't matter, as you will see every moose in the area over that period of time, throughout the daylight hours. If you are only going to be making a day deal, I would hit it right at daylight/dawn for the region you are in.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Other than one moose my brother in law shot at around 3-4pm, all the moose I have taken or been involved with have been in the morning or the evening, about 50/50

I like to hunt so getting up before the sun and laying down after dark just maximizes the amount of time I get to do it. There is something special about the morning mist over a swamp. Good time to call early in the morn which can lead to a moose coming in around noon to check things out.

My approach is to glass/call from pre dawn to dark and beyond, never miss an opportunity. You can locate moose easy with a few calls after dark, one reason I dont like a fire in moose camp is so I can hear what is going on (movements). Seen the most action from 8-11 and the last 2 hours before dark but have taken big moose in the middle of the day near water.

I think most animals are a bit more active late afternoon and on, they have rested up and are getting hungry and just start their "day" which is at night.
    I prefer to hunt mornings simply for the splendor of a sunrise and the wonders of what may come - also its sure a lot nicer to deal with a downed animal during the daylight!
    I have seen more moose in the very early morning hours - first 2 - 3 than any other time - however if you fill your tag in the AM kinda limits the amount of PM hunts you get!
    Alex Guthro says its like "priming the pump", morning calling can set the stage for a bull to appear in the eve, eve calling can have them in the area for first light?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

My buddy and I get up freakish early, 5am. We're walking to the hill to glass before light. However, most of the moose we've killed have been between 12-4pm. Got one a 8pm.

We usually hunt the morning and move around to another glassing area mid-day and we hunt the evening and get to camp when its getting dark. Makes for a long day for sure.

Tim

I like to get up early and start hunting, but I have seen and harvested moose at all times of the day.

I've gotten moose morning, noon, and evening, however, my preference is to try to get one in the morning if possible. If you hunt the morning, at least you give yourself the chance to get one early and have the rest of the day to deal with it. If you wait until later in the day, you are stuck working it into the night which usually isn't a lot of fun. I don't think I would ever pass up a shot in the evening, but I would much prefer a morning moose.

I hate to intrude on the great conversations, as I have nothing to contribute (yet). I am a fellow hunter, but brand new to Alaska and moose hunting. Everyone on here seems like very experienced moose hunters, so I was hoping to get a little advice. I plan on hunting 20B starting 1 September, with bow and rifle, and am looking for sound advice of where to go. I will have 4wheelers for part of the month and should have a few days off in a row to hunt. I am not looking to break any records for my first moose, simply have a good hunt and learn as much as possible. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and best of luck to you all on your upcoming moose season.

I did get a taste of Ak hunting a few weeks ago when I took my first caribou. Was a great hunt and I learned a lot about hunting in Ak.

My dad would always say "If you wanna catch a moose you gotta get up early" at 5am every morning of the hunt , luckily there was always hot coffee brewed! But it seems I killed most(well I only killed a few so far) in the afternoon to late evening. Earliest being around 2pm last year and I think 8 or 9pm another year.

I like getting in the hills to glass before dawn if I can. It is easier to spot and stalk after you see where they have bedded down. When the bulls are very active to calling it doesn't matter as much, but some hunting seasons many bulls aren't real aggressive coming to calls. It is 50/50 I guess on wether the bulls we got were a result of getting up extra early.

For what it is worth,

Dan
    It is nice to know that there are "ALASKANS" out there, no matter where they live.

One thing I can say about moose: they are where (and when) you find them.
    In my experience, before the hormones kick in, bulls lay around a lot and are wearier than cows. As bulls get hornier, they spend more time up on their feet all hours of the day, trying to get the job done rather than laying low and chewing the cud.

The poll so far tells the story pretty well.
    Most hunt mornings till about 10 or 11 am then stop eat, re-group etc.
    Then start hunting again about 4 - 5 pm till dark or close.

Method of hunting effects the time of day you see a moose. Most hunt morning & evenings. Various reasons, but mostly cause the moose are up more often during these times.

Morning kills give you more hours to get them out of the woods safely.
    My bet is mornings win in the poll, especially now with S/F 50" or 3-4 brow tines (sometimes it's hard to tell if he's legal, when it's getting dark).

After hunting the sloughs and shallow bays of "2nd lake" (Wood River system) all morning and then going back to the cabin for a nap, my hunting partner and I took our sons out to do some fishing. We crossed the lake toward a long fijord, and what should we see on the very steep shoreline but a great big bull mincing his way along. We ended his stroll. It was about 2 o'clock in the afternoon, late August.... you just never know.

I agree with sayak...you can see em anytime,and it only takes ONE, but some of the guys I hunt with take that to mean you should be sitting in the bugs/weather or boat all day, I'm more into naps, grouse walks, fishin and camp sluttery during the day......early in the season, I'm more tuned into the dawn and dusk schedule with goofin off midday (but I don't know about this 5 a.m. talk....you can barely see to shoot out west at 7a.m., which is fine with me) but later in the season once they are callin a bit, I like to sit a good and call a spot til ten, get a good brunch, take a walk in an area I want to check out in midday (while calling), get a good snack and nap and then sit and call a good spot in the evening.

That said, I really, truly, dearly love calling moose (whether I shoot em or not) so most of my hard hunting is done later in the season, early trips I help pack, go fishin, keep camp clean, tend meat, harass grouse or whatever needs done.

My first one was called in at 11 a.m., the second was calling and walking on the way back to camp (soaked and exhausted, imagine a young man clanging shoulder blades every 6 steps with his head down against the driving rain, look up and HOLY &*^%^, it's a moose running at me) at 9 p.m. and the third came bruisin in last year at around ten am. Most of my buddies seem to take their early moose in the evenings, however I think it's because they hit the woods at 10 a.m., which would grossly bias the average to later in the day

It seems with moose hunting they are sporadic enough that you are always hunting, so the rifle goes along in the berry patch, river, wood cutting run, campfire....everything. Still hoping to have one come to the sound of splitting wood...fingers crossed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast