Thread: What's your opening day spread?

Default What's your opening day spread?

I'm going to pull out all of my mallard drakes and just bring my hens along with all of my GW teal. I might also bring just my hen full bodies, depending on where I hunt. The tides are kind of lame for opening week.

I've also been practicing a hen teal call on my double reed.

What are you guys going to bring?

Erich

Well, with work and the tides it's tricky when I get to go, but when I do, it will be mostly hens with mallards, widgeon and pintail. Mojo duck will be working. The hen teal call is a good one, I tend to use the whistle mostly for them. Right now I can do without the rain, but pray for wind when I go and it should be good. With a good stiff breeze, it usually takes longer to walk out there than to get a limit.

Brown ducks in both mallard and teal sizes.

any decoys that aren't a drake plumed pintail...because of the white on them. just choose the darker colored ones. I like the spinning wing decoys. make sure you have a remote so you can shut it off when the birds start coming into your spread as they have shown tendencies to flare some ducks once they get fairly close. and geese hate the duck spinning wing decoys. I usually use a large hole in the center of my spread or a J hook style setup. My J isn't as drastic as others....more like a horseshoe shape. Waldo is right...most times it takes longer to walk to the blind than to shoot your 8 ducks. annnnd shoot 3 1/2 shells lol, i used 2 3/4 for years but hell y not just give yourself a little edge???

couple of hen mallards and my mojo is all I take

if I can keep other people from setting up within 75 yards of me it's pretty darned easy on opening day
    couple of years ago a guy set up 50 yards from me even though I had a light on to try to give him the hint
    then he dropped a duck that was cupping towards my decoys about 30 mins early
    guy walking towards me stops and tries to clue me in on where it dropped and I told him "I'm not sending my dog that guy shot him, it's 30 mins til legal shooting"
    guy leaves me and walks over to my "neighbor", and in the dim light I can see him writing

having a guy set up right next to you......... irritating
    having him shoot a duck that's headed into your decoys....... really ticks you off

watching him get tickets for ......shooting early, no plug, no federal OR state duck stamp............ PRICELESS
    (actually I think it was $700)

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    watching him get tickets for ......shooting early, no plug, no federal OR state duck stamp............ PRICELESS
    (actually I think it was $700)
    Hahaha, ouch! For once there WAS a game warden around when you needed one!

I'm also hoping I can find a spot where I wont have anyone too close. My strategy is to head to a spot that's hard to get to. Hopefully that will keep the riff raff out of my hair.

Probably use about my old beat up mallards and a few newer hen teal, about 15 total.

Also my Mojo teal and homemade motorized feeder.

Galdwals, and mallard hens. Any dakrk decoys right now
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by HarryHyde View Post
    Probably use about my old beat up mallards and a few newer hen teal, about 15 total.

Also my Mojo teal and homemade motorized feeder.
    What kind of homemade feeder did you make? Bilge pump?

Erich

75 Mallards and 14-26 Canada floaters....LOL..Big J pattern with 3-4 family groups of Geese off on the edge...visibility is key..Very little calling if any. Teal call, pintal call, comback call and lonesome hen is all you will need. wish we could get the hail callers back to the lower 48...as they will sure be in force..scaring everything down south early.

Looks like wed and thursday are a bust for me due to meetings...got to love the last min changes..

Bob... I can see you laughing now. I will be shooting for the same spot...so keep the yahoos out of there..lol...I will try to link up with you around 430ish at your camping area...if I miss you...I will be right behind you going out. I am going to hit the ramp at 3:30-3:45ish

Stop by when you get finished...will have got coffee waiting for you. See you friday morning.
    DH

Erich it is a bilge pump, based on a Avery oversize duck butt.

Uses a rechargeable 12v batt as the anchor, and the electrical wire as anchor line.

I saw where one guy repainted a goose butt to mallard colors and bilge-pumped it.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryHyde View Post
    Erich it is a bilge pump, based on a Avery oversize duck butt.

Uses a rechargeable 12v batt as the anchor, and the electrical wire as anchor line.

I saw where one guy repainted a goose butt to mallard colors and bilge-pumped it.
    That's cool. I was thinking about building a goose butt bilge.

Erich

I suppose you wouldn't have to repaint it. Goose colors should work fine.

Mine uses a turn signal flasher to pulse the pump, but I have ordered a Mojo self timer to give a more random pulse effect and save the battery.

On opening day yesterday it worked for about 1 1/2 hrs and went dead. I don't understand, I charged the battery up last year when I put it away LOL.

Mojo teal worked fine except I dropped a leg in the water first thing.

Stats: shots taken- 1 ducks bagged- 0

Sounds like the same thing I made only on a standard side duck butt. I run mine on a 12 volt atv battery that I hang in bag on a stick/camo cover. Looks real good and may work better later in the year. Right now the jury is still out. If it doen't start earning it's keep it may just end up in the bottom of my boat doing what it was made for. LOL