Thread: 7.62x39 vs .243Win.?

Default 7.62x39 vs .243Win.?

Hi all.
    Your opinion whether decides SKS 7.62x39 tasks cal..243Win. on distances
    100m.-300 m.?

Huh? If you're asking opinions on the two calibers, the 243 beats the SKS hands down. The 7.62x39 is more powerful but I HIGHLY doubt the SKS platform will match the 243 in accuracy. Out to 300m the 243 will be fine for most hunting conditions. The one majorly important thing you failed to mention is what animals you plan on hunting. A little more info will be helpful and try wording it more plainly.

Why are you thinking about taking an SKS hunting?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I have both and prefer the 243 with Nosler Partitions for hunting larger deer sized game and 55gr bullets for varmints. This is a youth model Remington 700 bolt action rifle that usually has a 2x7 scope. The SKS is an older Russian made one which is enjoyable to shoot at targets but does not see much use in the field for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Why are you thinking about taking an SKS hunting?
    If the rifle in question is reasonably accurate and you can shoot an animal in the proper place with it then the animal will die. Seems that covers all one truly needs in a hunting rifle.

The 7.62x39 not even close to the .243. I would not anything past 100 yards with an SKS. I have shot many of them, and they are a battle rifle, not a precision hunting rifle. The 25-06, .223, .223WSSM, .257 Weatherby, and like rounds will all compete
    With the .243 in terms of performance.

I would stick with your .243 and just make sure you hit your intended target somewhere that you know will kill it, instead of hoping your SKS will hit where you're aiming.

Yup. Typed the reply below on my phone. That's why it is sorta messed up.......

Some SKS' are plenty accurate, and theres soft point ammo made for them in Russia, where the man is posting from.
    An accurate rifle is more handy than a bigger bullet, for sure as most 7.62X39 shoot 125grn. bullets.

I have used a .243w plenty with 100 grn corloks with most excellent results.

In my experiance, I think LuJon is dead on target, like any good rifle should be.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If the rifle in question is reasonably accurate and you can shoot an animal in the proper place with it then the animal will die. Seems that covers all one truly needs in a hunting rifle.

Very true, but taking an SKS hunting just doesn't fit my bill of a hunting gun.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I can see no reason not to hunt pigs, deer, javelina or whatever with an AK/7.62X39mm. People successfully hunt with bows, handguns, and black powder. But a decent bolt rifle in .243 is going to have better accuracy, greater ammo availability (especially in hunting-capable/legal rounds), will buck the wind better, and will have greater down-range kinetic ****** (hey, why did they censor that word?). I think it would be fun to shoot pigs with an AK, and I've never shot a .243 (I've actually captured enemy AKs), but unless I had some strange competition AK (if that exists), and I might shoot much past 100 yds, it would be an easy decision for me.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    An accurate rifle is more handy than a bigger bullet
    Ain't that the truth! Great quote, btw...

Hi friends.
    A question is based on a desire to fill a niche between calibers 7.62x39 and 30-06.
    In relation to application of this caliber - I search most "universal"
    CXP1,CXP2-on long and middle distances and CXP3 on short distances.

Ahhhhhh.........The niche betwen 30-06 and 7.62X39..........

.243w with 100 grn. bullets should just about be right there.......

Your doing fine, just fine.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by kristian55 View Post
    Hi friends.
    A question is based on a desire to fill a niche between calibers 7.62x39 and 30-06.
    In relation to application of this caliber - I search most "universal"
    CXP1,CXP2-on long and middle distances and CXP3 on short distances.
    I know many many people have killed elephants and even blue whale with a .243, and I know this is going to get me into trouble, but I wouldn't hunt most CXP3 class game (e.g., elk, moose, and brown bear--http://www.chuckhawks.com/cxp.htm) with a .243 if I also had a 30-06, which you suggest you have. I certainly wouldn't want to hunt brown bear with a .243 at "short distances"--depending on what you mean by that, unless I had a good friend or guide standing next to me with something bigger.