Thread: Pull Start and EFI?

Question Pull Start and EFI?

Anyone have any experience pull starting an EFI machine? I test rode a Grizz 700 today with the power assist steering and noticed that there was no pull starter. The sales guy was telling me that a pull start wouldn't work with the EFI.

However I have seen other EFI machines with pull starters.

Thoughts?

There are lots of snowmachines that are EFI and have pull starts. Arctic cat made some that were even batteryless. One pull charged the system and the next pull the machine would start. I think the sales guy didn't have a good answer for you so he made that one up.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I kinda figured the sales guy was a bit of an idiot, I knew more about the machine from reading Yamaha's website.

I then wonder why a manufacturer would go without a pull starter. It seems there are lots of places where you might want a backup. I personally have been in two situations where I would have been seriously stranded in 0 degree conditions were it not for a pull start backup.

Seems like an oversight somehow.

MT3006

Default Pull start

Check around on ATV sites there might be an aftermarket kit to solve this prob, but if this machine doesn't have a compression release mechanism it might be a real bear to pull start.

My Grizzly 660 has a pull start but the 700 doesn't. I too don't like the idea of having a backup starting system. I guess the best thing to do is to carry a light weight pair of jumper cables and hope you have a friend if and when you have a problem.

The 660 doesn't have a compression release and it is a bear (pardon the pun) to start with the pull starter. I've always wondered why they didn't install a compression release as my friends old Honda 300 even has one. I've never needed the pull starter but I have started it that way a couple of times to make sure I could if I had to. I guess the majority of the sales go to places less remote than what we ride in up here in Alaska and there are other alternatives to getting home.

Default New Trend?

It seems to be a new trend in the ATV industry to eliminate the pull start on some of the newer models. I noticed the new Can-Am's don't have it either (except thier 400 model, which is basically a carry over from the last couple of years). I don't know if it's a weight saving measure, or if the manufacturers are just that confident in thier product never failing.

Although I can't imagine pull starting one of those 800 class monsters, I'd still feel a little better having it there for back-up.

Shannon

Default Too Hard To Pull

I had heard that some of the larger machines do not have pull starts because it is just too hard to pull. I guess the manufacturer figures why put it on there if nobody pull the thing anyway. Just what I had heard from a dealer.
    Dave

Default pull start

I have an 05 King Quad 700 EFI that has a pull start. It pulls over very easy, was pleasantly surprised when I first tried it out. I also have an 01 King Quad 300 that is actually harder to pull start than the 700. I can't imagine why some manufacturers wouldn't put this on their new machines. I understand that EFI machines are supposed to be more reliable, that's why I bought my new King Quad, but what happens when you forget to turn your key off in hunting camp 20 miles from your truck? Gotta have a back up.

Default New trends

from what I've seen is a migration away from pull starts. I want one on mine (700 Prairie) but the one on my Rancher is never good for the second pull anyway (sand and gunk in the recoil spring - try yours :-) end up wrapping the cord around the racks when it doesn't go back in anyway.
    I would rather see a kick start for the bigger machines anyway.
    Why do you need a pull start? Battery dead? EFI probably wouldn't work anyway, it does need some amount of juice to work. Maybe they think the % of other problems isn't enough to justify it.
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Echo; 02-08-2007 at 18:58. Reason: Adding thoughts
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I had a Kawasaki 400 manual shift Bayou from 1993 until a 2004. It had a kick starter on it but I had to buy it as it wasn't standard equipment. You could also hold the shifter part way down between gears and it would be in a neutral position to bump start it either by rolling down a hill or being pulled by another machine. These auto transmission machines won't allow that either.

Default pull starts

I have a polaris 6 by 6 no problem with the pull start pulls very easy and it does not have a compression release at least not one that is visible. Chef

Quote Originally Posted by chef viktor View Post
    I have a polaris 6 by 6 no problem with the pull start pulls very easy and it does not have a compression release at least not one that is visible. Chef
    The de-compression on the 6x6 is automatic. I found this out the hard way. I swamped the rig in Friday Creek last winter and water was over the still running engine. I turned the engine off (thought it would be a good idea...) and the de-compression opened up and let water in right on top of the cylinder. I thought I had swamped the entire motor, but after pulling the plug to get the water out, it fired right up. No water in the oil either.

Come to find out.... Automatic de-compresison which I guess is vacuum operated. As soon as the engine turns over enough to pull a vacuum, the de-compression closes back up.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have a 660 griz also. I think it does have a compression release but you have to pull it very slowly at first or something to that effect. I'll see if I can find the info on it. I have never had pull start mine yet. (knock on wood)....

Here's what one guy says:

Starting it with the pull cord is kinda tricky...there is an automatic decompression cam that kicks in when you hit the compression stroke to make the machine easier to turn over (still takes some muscle). This is how I do it: First I stand on the floorboard facing the machine; Second, grab the pull cord with both hands and pull it until it stops on the compression stroke; Third, let the cord retract into the recoil and quickly pull it again. Follow those steps and you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I have a 660 griz also. I think it does have a compression release but you have to pull it very slowly at first or something to that effect. I'll see if I can find the info on it. I have never had pull start mine yet. (knock on wood)....

Here's what one guy says:

Starting it with the pull cord is kinda tricky...there is an automatic decompression cam that kicks in when you hit the compression stroke to make the machine easier to turn over (still takes some muscle). This is how I do it: First I stand on the floorboard facing the machine; Second, grab the pull cord with both hands and pull it until it stops on the compression stroke; Third, let the cord retract into the recoil and quickly pull it again. Follow those steps and you should be good to go.
    Like I posted earlier, I have started my 660 a few times with the pull starter just to do it but I will remember that trick and try it once I get it out of hibernation for the winter. I think with the temperatures running 40 below zero right now it would be rather difficult to pull over and I don't want to ride it in temperatures like these anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    Like I posted earlier, I have started my 660 a few times with the pull starter just to do it but I will remember that trick and try it once I get it out of hibernation for the winter. I think with the temperatures running 40 below zero right now it would be rather difficult to pull over and I don't want to ride it in temperatures like these anyway.
    Howdy,

I'm like you. My griz is hibernating also. I think I have pull started mine once just to see if I could do it. It's a real bugger. I'm not sure I'd be able to get it to start if it was below freezing. Be easier to pull(tow) start it. I've heard of guys doing that with the Griz. Put it in high range and get a tow.

Hey, maybe we should go riding sometime this summer. There are a few of us Fairbanksans around here. Maybe we could get a few of us together. Spring break up mudholes are pretty fun. Especially the ones that still have ice on the bottom! : )

Perry

Some machines are built for remote conditions we have in Alaska. Some are better suited for the ranches and farms in the lower 48. You do need alternative methods for starting up here. Pass on the models that don't offer it, if you plan on going very far. A days ride in can mean three or four days walk out.

This technique sounds like hernia heaven to me!
    Mike
    (Relax Snyd - pull starting a big bore is hernia heaven with any method! :-)
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default FairbanksATV

I just moved up here to North Pole from Georgia. I ride a Polaris Sportsman 800. Anyone know some good places to go riding. I have been going down Peede Rd. but haven't lived here long enough (since Jan.) to know some good spots.

Default EFI pullstart

I own a 2005 king quad 700 (EFI) it has a pull start and it works fine.

I have a king quad 700 EFI and my pullstart works it will start without a battery even I had a guy break down this fall while hunting i gave him my battery and i pull started my quad and we were off